PDA

View Full Version : Annoying AI Pilot

Bambusbieger
04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Hello, folks...

Recently I was having a little target practise on the Il-2´s rear gun (nice way to polish up your accuracy a bit, btw) when the plane suddenly hit the ground. This happens quite often because that dumb AI pilot always tries to shake off those enemy fighters. Is there any way to "shut down" the AI pilot (maybe by modifying a certain file) so that the aircraft keeps flying straight on?

Thanks a lot, guys.

Best regards
IHK

Brain32
04-19-2005, 01:08 PM
I know what you mean, try turning "autopilot automation"(first you have to assign a button for taht function in controls) off.
As much as I remember that should work, but first trim the plane.

Enforcer572005
04-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Have you tried changing pilot skill? When you specify your flight as being the player flight, try assigning veteran or even ace pilot skill.....I think Ace will change the laws of physics a bit, but veteran might be fairly realistic. I've flown as gunner with such pilots and have had no problem like that. I'm still flying origional IL2 patched to v1.2, at least until i get a game port for my new puter (they dont put those on them anymore). May be different for FB, but I doubt it.

Enforcer572005
04-19-2005, 09:57 PM
well ****...I just discovered that this thread is older than I am....disregard.

Man, I hate getting old. better than being dead I guess. This happens to people who were born when the F-100 was the best fighter in the USAF.Ill shut up and go home now.(droool).

Enforcer572005
04-19-2005, 10:00 PM
WELL DUH AGAIN....it isnt that old. I swear I saw 2004 somewhere and assumed the worse. I guess I may be one of those AI pilots whose come to life.

Yup, Ike was president when I was born....sheeesh.

Bambusbieger
04-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Hi again, thank you for your replies. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

@Brain32
I can´t find an "autopilot automation" function anywhere. Do you mean "toggle autopilot"? I´ve already tried that one, but it only applies to the Gunner AI, not to the AI pilot.

@Enforcer572005
I usually fly as an "ace". Nevertheless, my pilot still seems to take meters for inches...or inches for meters...

Isn´t there a file somewhere defining the inflight AI pilot response?

Assigning my skills to "average" somewhat helps, but the pilot still manoeuvers.

Regards
IHK

Gawwad
04-20-2005, 06:46 AM
If you just wanto practise your aim with the rear gun, why don't you try a level bomber?
For example: B25 has a nice rear gun and you can use "Level stabilizer" that makes your plane fly level (remember to togle autopilot automation OFF before swiching positions).

Works for me atleast http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Good luck!

Tully__
04-20-2005, 07:26 AM
There are three controls that allow some user control over autopilot behaviour:

Level Stabilizer: In medium/heavy bombers, keeps the wings level while the "pilot" is busy playing bombardier. It's supposed to also maintain altitude, but this may require considerable application of trim. It only works in aircraft like He-111 and B-25 that have a "real" level bombing bombsight.

Autopilot: Toggles autopilot (AI control) on/off in the position you're currently occupying.

Toggle Level Autopilot: This control (when toggled on) automatically switches on autopilot (AI control) for any position you leave and switches off autopilot for any position you've just arrived at. If you toggle it off, your autopilot will not automaticaly take over the pilot position when you jump into a gunner seat. At the same time, if it's off you'll have to manually switch off the gunner AI control (using the Autopilot control) when you arrive or you wont be able to aim & shoot. Don't to forget to turn AI control back on before you leave or the gunner will play dumb.

Bambusbieger
04-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Alright, I´ve more or less solved the problem by assigning average skill for my aircraft.

@Gawwad & Tully__
Wait...did I mention that I don´t have the full version of the game yet? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Can´t wait to get the whole cake, though.

Kindest regards
IHK