PDA

View Full Version : While I try to become competent...

Grand_Armee
07-07-2007, 08:49 PM
In between atempts to become better at landings, I got bored and started a campaign to keep me busy and help with my other weaknesses.

I came upon a mission where there were a crapload of Kommie combat vessels in Kronstadt harbor...battleships, even. So, I wondered: Could I edit the mission file, fly the HE-111H6 (there were already a ton of bf-109 in the mission), and WOULD the game let me carry a couple of Torpedos? A success to changing the mission AND the Torps.

However, the the closest thing to torpedo training or usage I've ever had was watching Tora, Tora, Tora.

Any Torpedo junkies with help on the following: Max/Min Height at which to drop the Torpedo. Distance from target? And what on the HE-111 might I consider an aiming point.

Cheers!

Grand_Armee
07-07-2007, 08:49 PM
In between atempts to become better at landings, I got bored and started a campaign to keep me busy and help with my other weaknesses.

I came upon a mission where there were a crapload of Kommie combat vessels in Kronstadt harbor...battleships, even. So, I wondered: Could I edit the mission file, fly the HE-111H6 (there were already a ton of bf-109 in the mission), and WOULD the game let me carry a couple of Torpedos? A success to changing the mission AND the Torps.

However, the the closest thing to torpedo training or usage I've ever had was watching Tora, Tora, Tora.

Any Torpedo junkies with help on the following: Max/Min Height at which to drop the Torpedo. Distance from target? And what on the HE-111 might I consider an aiming point.

Cheers!

Cajun76
07-07-2007, 10:49 PM
The sim is pretty forgiving, but I would drop from 100m or less. The closest distance I would get is when the secondaries open up. May take a little practice to find that range.

As far as aiming point, the He-111 has a pit, so pretty much anything in your line of sight in the cockpit, line it up with the target and drop your fish.

Also, have an entry and exit strategy. to minimize your time under the guns. AI can be dumb, a few dips toward the water as you approach will shift their aim in the drink for a few precious seconds.

Hope this helps, good luck and

K_Freddie
07-08-2007, 05:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grand_Armee:
Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your bomb-aimer can touch the water, you're low enough.
When the ship completely fills the nose cone, you're close enough to drop the torp.
Oh! be carefull of the AAA gunners, they get excited if you get too close http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

dbillo
07-09-2007, 02:09 AM
Cajun and Freddie have pretty well described the two extremes for when to drop....either as far as possible to avoid the AAA, or up close to get a near instant hit.

In between these brackets is a bit of a grey zone, due to the fact there is 'quirk' in the sim: if you are shot down and killed before your torpedo hits, it will not have any effect. There will be an explosion, but no damage to the ship and no kill to your credit.

Grand_Armee
07-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the answers, Guys. I did wonder about a result I saw today...my torps missed by my wingman's didn't. He was shot down, but the ship never even lurched.

I was wondering if there was anti-torpedo netting...but perhaps not.

dbillo
07-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Also, how many torpedoes are required to sink a ship depends on the size/type of ship, and the type of torpedo you use, as well as where you strike the ship. The smallest ships often are sunk with a single torpedo, whereas the largest aircraft carriers may require nearly a dozen.

LStarosta
07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
quick hint:

Switch to nose gunner view and use his gunsite (try not to move the gun or else this won't work).

Divine-Wind
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah, the nose gunner position really helps. The bombardier's seat too.

I'm usually skimming the wavetops (Seat of the pants flying FOR THE WIN) and lead quite a bit.

Of course, I usually get ripped to shreds and splatter all over the ocean, but atleast the torp hits. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Nothing cooler or more epic than squadrons of torpedo-laden Heinkels converging on a fleet of shipping or DD's in my opinion... The chatter is also quite exciting. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif I hear "SCHEISSE!!1" or "Verdammt! They haff shot off mein wing!" every 5 seconds.

And you can throw in interceptors and AAA gunboats for even more confusion and FPS-drop!

Xiolablu3
07-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Around 60-80m is the height I usually release when in an A20 Havoc.

The biggest problem for release in real life was if they hit the top of a wave and the torp broke up.

I was watching a program last night on how RAF Swordfish Biplanes crippled the Tirpitz with torpedos. His Observer was leaning right out of his seat with his head UNDERNEATH the plane watching the wave tops as they flew in at 50 feet, shouting

'Not yet....Not Yet........Not Yet.......NOW!'

The torpedo went into the wash and was perfectly released.

It wasnt just a question of the correct height, you had to be sure you launched hte torp into the wash, and didnt hit the top of a wave.

We dont have that problem in IL2, would be too hard to program with the computers we have now.

Airmail109
07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I like to release from 5-10 M

I find the lower I am, the less often I'm whacked by flack, especially If Im side slipping