PDA

View Full Version : Most embarrassing sound effect

polemic
05-25-2008, 08:07 AM
For the most part, I find the overall sound effects in Vegas1/2 to be extremely satisfying, in particular the profanity of the tangos, as well as the gutsy weapon effects, splintering shattering glass and the exquisite dull thud of FMJ's hammering into old decrepit vehicles placed strategically around the maps.

That said, there is one particular tango sound effect that makes it sound as though having a dozen rounds pumped into your body from a high powered assault rifle that wreaks havoc with human flesh, is like falling off a tricycle traveling at 0.5 MPH. It's that ridiculous dying sound of a tango which seems to be utilised every 4 or 5 kills....it sounds like "Huhhhh..." follwed by a long drawn out "ooooooohhhhhh". It sounds more like the guy is having his chest waxed than dying from a dozen rounds of hot lead.

Just my 2 cents...and one other thing just dawned on me....my PEC is female, but I've never had the opportunity to gun down female tangos. So we are given the opportunity to play either a male or a female, but tangos are exclusively male.....perhaps females could produce slightly more convincing visceral dying sound effects than men.

polemic
05-25-2008, 08:07 AM
For the most part, I find the overall sound effects in Vegas1/2 to be extremely satisfying, in particular the profanity of the tangos, as well as the gutsy weapon effects, splintering shattering glass and the exquisite dull thud of FMJ's hammering into old decrepit vehicles placed strategically around the maps.

That said, there is one particular tango sound effect that makes it sound as though having a dozen rounds pumped into your body from a high powered assault rifle that wreaks havoc with human flesh, is like falling off a tricycle traveling at 0.5 MPH. It's that ridiculous dying sound of a tango which seems to be utilised every 4 or 5 kills....it sounds like "Huhhhh..." follwed by a long drawn out "ooooooohhhhhh". It sounds more like the guy is having his chest waxed than dying from a dozen rounds of hot lead.

Just my 2 cents...and one other thing just dawned on me....my PEC is female, but I've never had the opportunity to gun down female tangos. So we are given the opportunity to play either a male or a female, but tangos are exclusively male.....perhaps females could produce slightly more convincing visceral dying sound effects than men.

Dealer_0_Death
05-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Although there is only one female operative it seems in the game, she's a "good guy" and not one of the tangos.

It kinda amazed me that they would have the tangos using curse words or phrases like "Fu** You" but then you don't hear any of the screaming in pain from being shot or blown up that you would hear in real life.

Tangos saying things like "Bitc* owed me money" doesn't really fit and does not add one thing, heck, if it were in a comedic aspect and not predictable and you could at least laugh at it then maybe but its not and it just doesn't fit. The foul language they could have simply left out, it doesn't offend me or anything, but it just doesn't fit. It seems they threw it in, in an attempt to make the tangos seem tough. Its sort of like when young kids use curse words in posts on forums in an effort to make their posts seem more adult like and tough, everyone knows how stupid it sounds although the poster thinks they looked really cool. Its as if UBI wanted to appeal to that mentality or attitude, but it also looks like they threw the cusring in as an after thought trying to beef up the tangos toughness somewhat. Its probably the only reason the game is sold with an industry lableing of mature 17 or above cause there isn't anything else in the game thats worth anything more then what a board game of Candy Land or Monopoly would be rated.

In short, its a over rated game. It has a bad conceptual design (on so many levels and not just sound), poorly implemented and poorly coded, bloated with a lot of un-necessary graphics work that could have been done better, it attempts to rely on past Rainbow games for its strong points but really screwed it up, it doesn't support fully the hardware it says it supports and then when it does its performance is seriously lacking, its so full of bugs I doubt they could ever fix them all.

Lethal1940
05-25-2008, 09:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dealer_0_Death:
Although there is only one female operative it seems in the game, she's a "good guy" and not one of the tangos.

It kinda amazed me that they would have the tangos using curse words or phrases like "Fu** You" but then you don't hear any of the screaming in pain from being shot or blown up that you would hear in real life.

Tangos saying things like "Bitc* owed me money" doesn't really fit and does not add one thing, heck, if it were in a comedic aspect and not predictable and you could at least laugh at it then maybe but its not and it just doesn't fit. The foul language they could have simply left out, it doesn't offend me or anything, but it just doesn't fit. It seems they threw it in, in an attempt to make the tangos seem tough. Its sort of like when young kids use curse words in posts on forums in an effort to make their posts seem more adult like and tough, everyone knows how stupid it sounds although the poster thinks they looked really cool. Its as if UBI wanted to appeal to that mentality or attitude, but it also looks like they threw the cusring in as an after thought trying to beef up the tangos toughness somewhat. Its probably the only reason the game is sold with an industry lableing of mature 17 or above cause there isn't anything else in the game thats worth anything more then what a board game of Candy Land or Monopoly would be rated.

In short, its a over rated game. It has a bad conceptual design (on so many levels and not just sound), poorly implemented and poorly coded, bloated with a lot of un-necessary graphics work that could have been done better, it attempts to rely on past Rainbow games for its strong points but really screwed it up, it doesn't support fully the hardware it says it supports and then when it does its performance is seriously lacking, its so full of bugs I doubt they could ever fix them all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with most of what is posted here, especially the unfinished buggy game.

As for Ai sound scripts, I find the dying sounds of an Ai getting hit with an incindiary grenade the most amusing!

As for language, I would love to see an option to enable or disable.
I have seen it in other games so I know it can be done.
That would satisfy everyone, and not force players to listen to something that offends them.

Before someone says you can turn off the voices .. I know that is an option, but then you can't hear where the Tangos are.

One Point:
I know a very large number of gamers.
Some use language themselves, but no where near the level that is used in this game.

I have never known a gamer who would refuse to buy a game with great, fun play if it didn't contain language, but I do know many who refuse to buy a game because it does!
Just a thought for developers!

A simple solution:
Provide a language filter option!!!

polemic
05-25-2008, 09:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dealer_0_Death:
Although there is only one female operative it seems in the game, she's a "good guy" and not one of the tangos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger that, but wouldn't it be fun to have female tangos in the game that also indulge in profanity after blowing you away ? I guess I've been spoiled by playing too much UT3. I would have liked Vegas to "borrow" the same concept i.e. equal female/male players/bots with heavenly female insults after they waste you.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could add your own sounds to the game in this respect ?

C22.Schultzy
05-25-2008, 10:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polemic:
I would have liked Vegas to "borrow" the same concept i.e. equal female/male players/bots with heavenly female insults after they waste you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of the female geek players I used to play with in the VERY early UT, would compare the mess the made of me to their sanitary wipes.

Some of them are as bad as the worst guys I know. heh...

Dealer_0_Death
05-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I think there should be more female characters in the tangos, very detailed models, especially dressed in black leather outfits, bad girls, nasty girls, maybe a shower scene with two girls..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just kidding http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, i agree with your idea in concept if not in scope. Some of the female players i've played with in the past were vastly more vulger then any male player i've played with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polemic:
Although there is only one female operative it seems in the game, she's a "good guy" and not one of the tangos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger that, but wouldn't it be fun to have female tangos in the game that also indulge in profanity after blowing you away ? I guess I've been spoiled by playing too much UT3. I would have liked Vegas to "borrow" the same concept i.e. equal female/male players/bots with heavenly female insults after they waste you.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could add your own sounds to the game in this respect ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WhiteKnight77
05-25-2008, 12:55 PM
R6 and RS had female operatives and female voices to go with them.

DexLuther
05-25-2008, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lethal1940:
That would satisfy everyone, and not force players to listen to something that offends them.

Before someone says you can turn off the voices .. I know that is an option, but then you can't hear where the Tangos are.

One Point:
Some use language themselves, but no where near the level that is used in this game.

I have never known a gamer who would refuse to buy a game with great, fun play if it didn't contain language, but I do know many who refuse to buy a game because it does!

A simple solution:
Provide a language filter option!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok so people are ok with shooting things in the head and blowing them to smithereens, but hearing the "f" word offends them?

Yeah that makes tons of sense.

Not. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

polemic
05-25-2008, 02:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C22.Schultzy:
Some of the female geek players I used to play with in the VERY early UT, would compare the mess the made of me to their sanitary wipes.

Some of them are as bad as the worst guys I know. heh... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I'm not quite that unsophisticated, but it is nice to get the boys fired up with a few profane comments...and you can appreciate that we don't go for headshots as our preference either....that's gotta hurt !

WhiteKnight77
05-25-2008, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DexLuther:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lethal1940:

One Point:

A simple solution:
Provide a language filter option!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok so people are ok with shooting things in the head and blowing them to smithereens, but hearing the "f" word offends them?

Not. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would not be to bad if it wasn't all the time. There is not always a need to curse. Sometimes less is more and yes, I do curse, but not all the time. Also, the FCC and military protocols do not allow cursing over radio frequencies. Something to think about.

DISEMAN_x
05-26-2008, 09:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DexLuther:

Not. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it makes a lot of sense if you'll open your mind to the possibility and try to understand it rather than just shut it down.

TheWarHam
05-26-2008, 12:01 PM
A simple solution:
Provide a language filter option!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hahahahaha youre offended by the word ***** but not people's brains being shot out?

Lethal1940
05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheWarHam:
A simple solution:
Provide a language filter option!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hahahahaha youre offended by the word ***** but not people's brains being shot out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why does everyone have to make a flaming war out of other peoples opinions??
The subject of the post was on profanity if I remember correctly!

Of course I'm not ok with peoples brains being blown out!!

This is a game and killing is part of it, (A game not reality) I simply stated that it would be nice to have a language filter for those who are offended.

I have also seen games with options to turn off blood and gore.
Again, an option for those who are offended or just don't care for it for whatever reason.

But then everyone is entitled to their opinions and I'm not going to flame or put anyone down in any way for theirs!!

You have a right to believe the way you do, and everyone else has a right to their beliefs.

It just seems strange that on this forum, there are certain people who have to flame others if an opinion differs from theirs.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

ChronicCritic
05-26-2008, 02:59 PM
hopefully before they invest any time in a gore/language filter on this mature rated game they can implement a bug/glitch filter to disable bugs and glitches. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Lethal1940
05-26-2008, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChronicCritic:
hopefully before they invest any time in a gore/language filter on this mature rated game they can implement a bug/glitch filter to disable bugs and glitches. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree and have always maintained that Vegas 2 could be an excellent game if Ubisoft would just fix the problems and finish the game properly.

Obviously, I don't have a very serious issue personally with the language/blood/gore, or I wouldn't be playing it.
But like I mentioned, I know many who won't buy this game because of these issues, and again that is their choice.
Personally, I would prefer the option .. but it didn't stop me from buying it.

My statement was an option that would satisfy Ubisoft gamers from all walks of life (Probably an impossible task) and in no way a flame or put down of those who enjoy that kind of content.