PDA

View Full Version : di(e)ving in PF

JohnnyRook
11-11-2004, 08:14 AM
I have read alot about RL pacific aircombat and the no 1 trick USpilots used against Japanese planes (when in trouble) was diving. Zeke and Oscar handled very bad when flying fast. I have tried this against IA many times and my impression is that a. Japanese planes DO dive (RL japanese avoided diving like hell) b. when diving the AI does'nt seem to suffer very much controlproblems and can manoevre like US-planes when in dive/flying fast.

I'm not an experts so I was curious about other peoples observations and analyses.

thanx,

Johnny Rook

Nige_Reconman
11-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Historically the allied aircraft were heavier and performed far better in dives. In Saburo's book Samurai, he mentions that the japanese do dive from time to time to fight but often allied asircraft could outrun them. He mention airacobras diving a whole heap, and how sluggish his own controls get under speed.

Now in PF i get AI who dive with me an
d AI who won't and i'm, assuming here, sure it's related to AI level - rookie, veteran, ace etcetera.

JohnnyRook
11-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanx reconman,

AI is always veteran or ace.
When AI do dive, do you have the impression they have trouble with their controls?
I once saw that a Oscar got in a spin, but in other cases they seemed to have no troubles with the high speed.

Nige_Reconman
11-11-2004, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnnyRook:
Thanx reconman,

AI is always veteran or ace.
When AI do dive, do you have the impression they have trouble with their controls?
I once saw that a Oscar got in a spin, but in other cases they seemed to have no troubles with the high speed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not while evading them in dives i can't. But watching some tracks i record - usually one a mission to review mistakes. In long and steep dives you outstretch the enemy pretty easily and as speed builds up they do have trouble maintaining control, enough so that pulling up is a lot easier for you then it is for them. Oscars and zekes are highly maneveurable at low altitudes but not at high speeds and a few times i see them plow into the earth/ocean or stall and spin as they pull out. Not all te time but it does happen.

Are you using the Dgen 3.11 beta patch at all? It seems to make the japanese aircraft AI better - or i'm imagining things.

HARD_Sarge
11-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Well don't forget, the AI can get away with things that you can't, while flying the same plane

when you fly them, they start to break up pretty quick (have seen a number of Zero's that go into a death dive and tend to blow up before they hit the ground)

from my flying, too much over 400 MPH and a Zero or Tony will break apart (which I would say is wrong for the Tony, as it was one of the better diving JP planes)

HARD_Sarge

ucanfly
11-11-2004, 01:03 PM
I think the problem lies with some of the heavier planes like the hellcat. It seems extremely sluggish in a dive for such a heavy fighter with a 2000 HP engine.

AI are known to cheat. Frequently - I've found that I am not always using historically accurate tactics to defeat AI.

CrazyDonut
11-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Im a zero head lol...and have been flying alot at ubicom. Some zeros can actualy dive to around 690-710 KPH but any yank on the stick will rip it apart. The controls sucks at that speed, and trim and C-flaps are the safest way to get out of the dive. But some allied pilots simply doent get that the aceleration of there plane is alot better than the zeros, so they simply pull out to soon...they forget to open a gab, and in the folowing climp, the zero in some cases (when used correctly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )can actualy climp with the allied plane, but i have to say that its on 100% servers the zero can show its good nature and be a great plane, if icons are on, speedbar even externals, the Japanese pilot have lost the momentum. Air combat is more than energy, you have to identefy your target, you have to know where the enemys wingman are, and if flying allied, you have to make manouvers all the time to check six, rear wiuv simply sux in most carrier planes on allied side