PDA

View Full Version : OT: Battle Sations Midway

Sama51
03-28-2007, 09:22 PM
So, how is it? Has anyone experienced it first hand? I'm interested in getting it, but after reading mixed reviews I wanted to hear some oppinions. s it entertaining and how's the strategy?

Sama51
03-28-2007, 09:22 PM
So, how is it? Has anyone experienced it first hand? I'm interested in getting it, but after reading mixed reviews I wanted to hear some oppinions. s it entertaining and how's the strategy?

Treetop64
03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Waited for and bought this one.

Graphics are gorgeous, and the models are great - especially in the cutscenes - but for me that's where the kudos ends...

Very, very arcadish shooting gallery is what this basically is. No single player strategy element whatsoever; you basically follow along a story driven scripted campaign.

The constant "ooh-rah gung-ho" American patriotism flavor of this title is poured on way too thick for my tastes. Also, being constantly reminded of my mission objectives - as simple as they are - by a message flashed across the middle of the screen every 30 seconds or so is more than annoying, and borders on the insulting. On top of that, additional messages are flashed at times, like "TAKE REVENGE FOR PEARL HARBOR!", and the like.

Forget about proper deflection when aiming the guns on battleships. EVERY shot is a high-angle plunging shot, no matter how close you are to the enemy ship, and you really wont be employing any real long distance shots against anyone.

The "flying" missions in the game are as simple as they come. You fly and shoot using only the mouse, and you basically shoot everything in sight in front of you.

Not at all what I hoped it would be. This title was made primarily for onliners to get their quick fix by simply blasting and blowing up as much as possible and as quickly as possible, but that's it. It's a competent game; there seems to be nothing technically wrong with it. It is just way too simpleton for my pesonal tastes. Even taken in that mindset, it still wasn't fun.

Sama51
03-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Does'nt sound like my cup of tea then. I wanted it for the strategy aspect, and of course with the simplicity of the rest of the game i was skeptical. The lame FPS doesn't interest me so if there isn't strategic content there... then bleh.

capt_frank
03-29-2007, 05:37 AM
I loaded it on my system, now it's somewhere in my office, can't tell you where.

I DID like the videos and posted one on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpxkxvcjDnI

Xiolablu3
03-29-2007, 08:46 AM
This game was so promising, but they rushed it out without a proper campaign or even thinking about the missions. I bought it, played through the campaign in 3 days and have no desire at all to go back to it.

Had they had good level designers, they have an engine here which could have created some fantastic, intersting fights.

However most of the missions are just constantly battering the enemy with your planes all at once so that he cant shoot too many down.

I found the game frustrating, as I thought it COULD have been really good.

As it is, its nice to look at, but the gameplay is really shallow.

If they do a sequel, which uses the same engine, but with properly designed levels, then I will watch with interest. The potential IS there.

p-11.cAce
03-29-2007, 08:50 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Could not have said it better http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

Troll2k
03-29-2007, 05:01 PM
There is a free multiplay demo available.Only one map though.Soloman Islands.

Arcadish but I still found it fun to play online.I am not sure about the offline missions or campaigns.