PDA

View Full Version : Landing with biggest zoom in

lowfighter
05-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Ever used biggest zoom in (smallest Field of View) while landing? As you descend towards runway the earth "moves" below you at a smaller apparent speed than if you use the default view. In this way it looks way more realistic, quite similar to what I'm seeing in a real airplane landing. I really love it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
To see this apparent speed of the earth depending on zoom, fly at say 20m over a city. Fly with the biggest zoom and suddenly change to normal zoom, you'll notice the earth moves much faster.
Playing this for so many years and always using normal zoom and from time to time saying to myself that the earth moves too fast, against all my RL perceptions, as limited as they are. Then some time ago somebody on the forums did some calculation and showed that in the game biggest zoom in is actually corresponding to the natural view.That made me try it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

lowfighter
05-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Ever used biggest zoom in (smallest Field of View) while landing? As you descend towards runway the earth "moves" below you at a smaller apparent speed than if you use the default view. In this way it looks way more realistic, quite similar to what I'm seeing in a real airplane landing. I really love it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
To see this apparent speed of the earth depending on zoom, fly at say 20m over a city. Fly with the biggest zoom and suddenly change to normal zoom, you'll notice the earth moves much faster.
Playing this for so many years and always using normal zoom and from time to time saying to myself that the earth moves too fast, against all my RL perceptions, as limited as they are. Then some time ago somebody on the forums did some calculation and showed that in the game biggest zoom in is actually corresponding to the natural view.That made me try it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

VFS-214_Hawk
05-10-2007, 04:40 AM
I still cant land like that but I am getting there. Main reason I can not is buy not being able to scan the instruments, slip indicator, vsi, ect. I zoom in on records and use the mouse to move around and can tell it is more realistic that way...just cant fly like that yet. I am sure tracIR would help!

Gitano1979
05-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Max zoom view is better for strafing also http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

it seems to me like those old B/W footages, so immersive... others FOV do not give that good feeling.

major_setback
05-10-2007, 05:06 AM
Max zoom for aiming is a must, IMO. Especially for deflection shots.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-10-2007, 05:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:
Max zoom for aiming is a must, IMO. Especially for deflection shots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and great for loosing the situational awareness.

lowfighter
05-10-2007, 05:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:
Max zoom for aiming is a must, IMO. Especially for deflection shots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and great for loosing the situational awareness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's terrible. Especially for poor guys like my with no trackir. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Good point about strafing too, bigger chance to see the little soldiers jumping out of the trucks too haha.

Hawk, I have speedbar enabled so I don't have to look at the instruments while landing. So after 3-5 crashes, and another 5 bump x 10 times landings now I land pretty much smoothly with max zoom in.
But for sheer flight pleasure at low altitude, in the mountains or whatever good map spots, the max zoom is a beauty. Using mouse too. Have a ride on Online Mountains map with max zoom, simply fantastic flying along the valleys and looking at high peaks above ("measured" them, some have about 4000m altitude).

BrotherVoodoo
05-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I find the guns much more accurate if I am zoomed as far out as possible. Playing the game on a 32" certainly helps though.

slappedsilly
05-10-2007, 10:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I find the guns much more accurate if I am zoomed as far out as possible. Playing the game on a 32" certainly helps though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same for me. I can't the broad side of a barn zoomed in, I mis judge every time. I always try to let the enemy fly into my bullets, and zoomed in I don't get any sense of timing. I can't say about the 32" monitor though but I bet it does help.

horseback
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:

Yeah and great for loosing the situational awareness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's why I assign one joystick button to Gunsight View, and another to Wide View. I flick back and forth between 'em like a squirrel on speed during dogfights. I have 'em on the N-S points of a 4-way hatswitch, with the TIR4 center and toggle on the E-W points.

Works fine for me...

cheers

horseback

VFS-214_Hawk
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah and great for loosing the situational awareness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what I mean!!!!

major_setback
05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:

Yeah and great for loosing the situational awareness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's why I assign one joystick button to Gunsight View, and another to Wide View. I flick back and forth between 'em like a squirrel on speed during dogfights. I have 'em on the N-S points of a 4-way hatswitch, with the TIR4 center and toggle on the E-W points.

Works fine for me...

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well exactly. It's that darn blooming obvious I didn't say it!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I don't fly around like that.
Just when dogfighting, and then only when HE comes toward my sight: zoom in with the joystick button...and <span class="ev_code_RED">BANG</span>...then back to normal view again after.

Lurch1962
05-10-2007, 04:31 PM
As Gitano1979 said, max zoom is good for simulating gun cam shots. Based on the appearance of those old films, it's certain the lenses used had somewhat narrow FOVs, most likely to better record details of hits which in most cases were never more than a few degrees off-axis.

Too many IL-2 "guncam" films posted on YouTube are made with wider FOVs, which don't show detail and just look wrong. Zoomed in is more dramatic!

--Lurch--

lowfighter
05-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, my point was rather related to the PERCEPTION of speed in RL flight and in game using different zooms. In RL an airplane of length L and at a distance D from my eye subintends a certain angle A.
In game the same airplane which would be represented as at distance D will appear on the screen of length l (can measure with a ruler). If the screen is at distance d from my eyes then the let's call the angle subintended by the plane on the screen "a".
If the RL angle "A" and the game angle "a" are close to each other then the proportions of objects are well represented. If the proportions percieved on the screen match the RL proportions, then also the perception of speed in RL and game match. (We can calculate how the angle changes in time as the object is moving with a certain speed v towards the eye) It's so that a~A for an average monitor and maximum Zoom in. If you zoome out a &lt; A...

Stiletto-
05-11-2007, 03:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrotherVoodoo:
I find the guns much more accurate if I am zoomed as far out as possible. Playing the game on a 32" certainly helps though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is not quite this big, but its a nice 24 inch widescreen that sits less than a foot and a half from my face, and I use the 2nd to farthest FOV setting. Before when I had a regular aspect ratio 17 inch monitor I used the default setting, and I feel with the much larger screen and wider aspect ratio, I basically have the same view as before, just with more perephrial vision, and everything being larger and easier to see at the same time.