PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay $90-$100

ANGST
06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I started flying "sims" back in 1985 or so with MicroProse F-15 Strike Eagle. While I didn't pay for that (noone payed for C64 games ,lol) I did pay for Their Finest Hour (LucasArts Battle of Britain sim ) and SubLogic's Jet in the 86-90 times frame. They cost the same as programs cost now , $50 . According to the consumer price index $50 back then is the equivelent of $90-$100 USD today. Todays sims take alot more work as they are much more complex.

So would you pay the same today as you did 20 years ago ? (adjusted for inflation)

DuxCorvan
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by ANGST:
They cost the same as programs cost now , $50 . According to the consumer price index $50 back then is the equivelent of $90-$100 USD today. Todays sims take alot more work as they are much more complex.

Production and distribution today are much cheaper than then. In fact, the sims should be cheaper now than then. The profit they make for every sold unit is bigger now.

A PC cost circa 2000$ USD in 1981. Now the PCs are faaaaaar more complex and advanced. Does it mean common PCs should cost 5000 bucks?

Software and hardware market don't work that way, lad.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I didn't vote either way, but the essence of my answer would be relative..."maybe, maybe not". The cost of a 37" LCD TV even 5 years ago was over $5,000, but they have actually gone down in price to the point that a really good one can be had for less than $1000 today.

Accordingly, the cost of software developement has remained static (or gone down given inflation) as it should. The reasons are production (companies are better setup to produce the finished products more efficiently than they were even a few years ago), labor (while labor is still intensive for game-programming, there are many more, and better, programmers than there were then), resources (the 3D software apps used to produce said games are more powerful and efficient).

Would I pay $100 for a sim similar to the complete product we currently have in IL2:46? Probably. The reality is, I have much more invested in this sim than $100 as it is. IL2- $30, FB-$39, AEP-$30, PF-$39, PE2- $30, IL2:46 DVD- $20 = $188 just for software.

Does that answer your question?

ANGST
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ANGST:
They cost the same as programs cost now , $50 . According to the consumer price index $50 back then is the equivelent of $90-$100 USD today. Todays sims take alot more work as they are much more complex.

Production and distribution today are much cheaper than then. In fact, the sims should be cheaper now than then. The profit they make for every sold unit is bigger now.

A PC cost circa 2000$ USD in 1981. Now the PCs are faaaaaar more complex and advanced. Does it mean common PCs should cost 5000 bucks?

Software and hardware market don't work that way, lad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Components for a PC are cheaper , that is why they are cheaper. I would suspect a majority of a sims cost is in manhours of development (just a guess though could very well be wrong) .It just seems that F-15 strike eagle for the C64 probably took alot less time to create then Falcon 4.0

WWSensei
06-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Heh. Let's see.

Computer - ~$2000
CH Pro Throttle - $149
CH Fighter Stick - Ebay - $99
CH MFD Panel - $129
Simped-Vario Rudder Pedals - $239
Headphones/Microphone - $50
TIR - $149
GoFlight Modules (4 of them) - $240

1946 DVD - $39.

Even at $99 the software would end up being one of the cheaper components.

Crash_Moses
06-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Good point Thunderbolt. Not to mention the dedicated sim hardware; TIR, HOTAS, Rudder Pedals...

$100 is nothing compared to what I've already invested.

However, I would hate to see the price rise that high. I think it would greatly shrink this genre's already small user base.

XyZspineZyX
06-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I started flying "sims" back in 1985 or so with MicroProse F-15 Strike Eagle. While I didn't pay for that (noone payed for C64 games ,lol) I did pay for Their Finest Hour (LucasArts Battle of Britain sim ) and SubLogic's Jet in the 86-90 times frame. They cost the same as programs cost now , $50 . According to the consumer price index $50 back then is the equivelent of $90-$100 USD today. Todays sims take alot more work as they are much more complex.

So would you pay the same today as you did 20 years ago ? (adjusted for inflation)

Well, it's possible that a fine software firm like Microprose went out of business because of software theft. Personally, I loved Microprose's sims and it's sad to think that piracy is so easily rationalised. I paid cash money at the store for all my Microprose stuff, if you and others had too, maybe we'd have some really great sims from them- but now, they are gone. Where's 'Wild' Bill Stealey now, I wonder? Hopefully he went on to another sim company

100 dollars for a simulation...well, I get roughly 25 hours out of this sim a week, for a nice round 100 hours a month. So that's a dollar a day, for only the first month. Seems like an easy question to answer.

Yes, if I can get 100 hours of enjoyment a month out of a sim that costs 100 dollars, then of course I'd buy it

Stew278
06-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Like other people here, I've spent $150+ on the various incarnations of the IL2 series alone.

But, I think raising prices that high would really hurt sales. Not everyone is willing/able to invest that much in 1 video game. I usually wait until the price drops to $30 or so unless it is a really really good game.

I read an article awhile back where the CEO of Activision was saying that video games are too cheap and he wants to see the price raised to $80+. Does he really think the market will go for that? If the cost goes too high people will find other pastimes.

With all of the problems that already exist with piracy, jacking the prices up would just aggravate the situation. They'd have to implement some seriously effective copy protection otherwise too many people would use illegal copies.

XyZspineZyX
06-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
I didn't vote either way, but the essence of my answer would be relative..."maybe, maybe not". The cost of a 37" LCD TV even 5 years ago was over $5,000, but they have actually gone down in price to the point that a really good one can be had for less than $1000 today.

Accordingly, the cost of software developement has remained static (or gone down given inflation) as it should. The reasons are production (companies are better setup to produce the finished products more efficiently than they were even a few years ago), labor (while labor is still intensive for game-programming, there are many more, and better, programmers than there were then), resources (the 3D software apps used to produce said games are more powerful and efficient).

Would I pay $100 for a sim similar to the complete product we currently have in IL2:46? Probably. The reality is, I have much more invested in this sim than $100 as it is. IL2- $30, FB-$39, AEP-$30, PF-$39, PE2- $30, IL2:46 DVD- $20 = $188 just for software.

Does that answer your question?

Good points, but your last one...you didn't need to buy all that stuff to get what's in 1946. If you were to go out and buy 1946 today, there's no need to first buy FB, then AEP, then PF. You made a conscious choice to keep adding on to the sim after you bought FB. As it was, PF wasn't envisioned as an add-on

The question isn't "do you feel that this sim was worth 188 dollars to get to it's current state"

The question is essentially, if 1946 was all brand new, and there was no FB or AEP or PF, there was only ever the one title, and it was Il2Sturmovik:1946, would you pay 90-100 dollars for it.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-06-2007, 11:02 AM
And my answer would be the same as yours...for the amount of time I spend vicariously goofing off in the virtual skies $100 would be a bargain.

By the same token, I also have the luxury of time and familiarity knowing that there is relatively unlimited potential for playability/replayability. If I were to invest in a sim (or game) that provided only 8 hours or so of playability, I'd consider $100 a ripoff and, by proxy, my answer would be a resounding NO.

I realize I wouldn't have to invest in all the iterations of this sim throughout its development to be able to play what is currently 4.08m. I know you realize I was simply listing the cash dropped only on the software which in turn allowed ME to be there for all the undulations of its development and have some heretofor unprecedented input into its maturity.

I purposely didn't include all the different hardware costs as, unlike the software in most cases, it was purely optional to get more out of this sim the way I like to play it. 99% of my flying is online (100% if you don't count reviewing tracks and such as real flying time) and in order to be able to fly with the masses I NEEDED to stay current. I also didn't include the myriad copies I bought for friends nor the shipping costs to Switzerland, England and Czech Republic.

The current IL2:46 DVD is, IMO, the absolute best bargain EVER for pc gaming software at the cost of $19.99 (which is what I paid for it at Circuit City).

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AKA_TAGERT
06-06-2007, 11:06 AM
So would you pay the same today as you did 20 years ago ? (adjusted for inflation) YES!

I am allways amazed at how cheap flight sims are! I would gladly pay $100+ for a sim like IL2 46!

On that note.. I am totally amazed at all the childish smacktards that feel the need to pirate these sims at $40! Only thing funnier is thier weak @ss excuses they come up with to justify steeling this software.

Whirlin_merlin
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ANGST:
So would you pay the same today as you did 20 years ago ? (adjusted for inflation) YES!

I am allways amazed at how cheap flight sims are! I would gladly pay $100+ for a sim like IL2 46!

On that note.. I am totally amazed at all the childish smacktards that feel the need to pirate these sims at $40! Only thing funnier is thier weak @ss excuses they come up with to justify steeling this software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to be a copycat but I got to go with.

Agree 100%

ANGST
06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:

Well, it's possible that a fine software firm like Microprose went out of business because of software theft. Personally, I loved Microprose's sims and it's sad to think that piracy is so easily rationalised. I paid cash money at the store for all my Microprose stuff, if you and others had too, maybe we'd have some really great sims from them- but now, they are gone. Where's 'Wild' Bill Stealey now, I wonder? Hopefully he went on to another sim company

100 dollars for a simulation...well, I get roughly 25 hours out of this sim a week, for a nice round 100 hours a month. So that's a dollar a day, for only the first month. Seems like an easy question to answer.

Yes, if I can get 100 hours of enjoyment a month out of a sim that costs 100 dollars, then of course I'd buy it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't gonna pay $50 for anything when I was in fifth grade. I think I made it up to Microprose when I bought M1 Tank Platoon, M1 Tank Platoon II , F-117 , Fleet Defender, Falcon 3.0+MiG-29, Falcon 4.0 , B-17 , Gunship 2000 , F-15 SE III ,Civilization, European Airwar and whatever else I am forgetting

horseback
06-06-2007, 11:21 AM
I spent $180 for my TrackIR last fall so I could play this game better.

In the last 5 years, I've put many hundreds of dollars into building new computers, improved videocards, more RAM, bigger faster monitors, plus addons, campaigns and so on just for this sim series.

Going even farther, I've spent at least a good three hundred dollars directly on Il-2 Sturmovik (at least three copies of the original game), Forgotten Battles (at least two copies, plus one Gold Pack with AEP), Aces Expasion Pack (as with FB, 2+1 Gold Pack), Pacific Fighters (three copies), The Peshka download (a true PITA), and finally, two copies of 1946 for the sake of convenience.

I'd be happy to cough up a hundred USD for a sim of similar quality, developer support, community loyalty and life expectancy. Think of the money I'd save...

cheers

horseback

LEBillfish
06-06-2007, 11:22 AM
YES!

I am allways amazed at how cheap flight sims are! I would gladly pay $100+ for a sim like IL2 46!.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

On that note.. I am totally amazed at all the childish smacktards that feel the need to pirate these sims at $40! Only thing funnier is thier weak @ss excuses they come up with to justify steeling this software.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

LStarosta
06-06-2007, 11:22 AM

On that note.. I am totally amazed at all the childish smacktards that feel the need to pirate these sims at $40! Only thing funnier is thier weak @ss excuses they come up with to justify steeling this software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm more amazed by the smacktards that buy 4 copies of the same game because it makes them feel better inside. Children in various parts of Africa die of hunger and war, and all you can do to feel good is buy 4 copies of the same game? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

DooDaH2007
06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I would easely pay for a good sim which provides years of fun...

problem is knowing, which of the 20 sims available is good for that $100...

it's more of a hindsight thing...

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by DooDaH2007:
I would easely pay for a good sim which provides years of fun...

problem is knowing, which of the 20 sims available is good for that $100...

it's more of a hindsight thing...

See my last post above.

waffen-79
06-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Hell yeah!

ANGST
06-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Anyone here pay the 70 or 80 bucks for Back to Baghdad back in the 90s ?

I did , it was ok

WOLFMondo
06-06-2007, 01:11 PM

Production and distribution today are much cheaper than then.

A PC title with its own bespoke engine costs a shed load of money to make. Were talking millions in whatever currency you use. Your average triple A title takes over 2 years to develop with a team of around 50-70 staff plus all the staff at the localised publishers. Its why so many developers are switching to consoles as well. Makes things a hell of a lot cheaper in development tools.

Viper2005_
06-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, I bought PF (~30), then I bought FB & AEP (~15 each).

I then bought the ultimate edition (10 - PF standalone on the shelf next to it was the same price!) for backup purposes because installing all the bits individually after a system crash took absolutely ages...

Then 46 came out, so I gave my unopened (having a backup almost guarantees that you won't need it!) copy of the ultimate edition to a friend and bought 46. That was something like 25, which I thought was very good value.

Exchange rate on the first 3 bits was about 1.6, so they alone came to almost $100. Exchange rate when I bought 46 was about 2, so that was another $50. So I guess the answer is yes... Compared with real flying, it's pocket change, especially considering that I can fly whenever I want instead of spending the day waiting around the airfield shifting gliders, or having to book my slots weeks in advanced for powered flying.

DuxCorvan
06-06-2007, 01:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:

Software and hardware market don't work that way, lad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Components for a PC are cheaper , that is why they are cheaper. I would suspect a majority of a sims cost is in manhours of development (just a guess though could very well be wrong) .It just seems that F-15 strike eagle for the C64 probably took alot less time to create then Falcon 4.0 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And don't you think that there are many hours in research and development to make PC components so much better and cheaper? Besides, F-15 Strike Eagle was probably programmed from scratch, in very primitive machines, with lots of instructions in assembler and other unsympathetic languages, while modern games rely on lots of software tools and developed engines to start with. It is probable that the development F-15 was far more a challenge than Falcon 4.0. No matter how much software has progressed: those games were state-of-the-art when they were released.

BTW, a majority of the price you pay is distribution and intermediary costs. In Europe there're a lot of taxes, too. A DVD-ROM, including the box and the art costs less than 3$. Of the 50$ you pay, only about 10$ is for Oleg & Co. -according to a contract. The rest goes for UBI and the retailer who sells it to you, the same if Maddox people work 100 hours than if they work half an hour. The price is determined, not by the cost of development, but by the cost of production and distribution vs an estimation of sold units.

So, the more units they sell, the more profit for Maddox. Doubling prices and selling half, gives UBI and retailers the same money, but reduces Oleg's share to half. So, the cheaper the final price, the better for Oleg. But it's not up to him to decide.

As for the initial question, well, no, I wouldn't pay 100$ for a product which costs a half, nor would I pay 200$ for my 100$ shoes. Of course, I would pay 200$ for FB, but that's a product I'VE USED AND KNOW I LIKE IT. Would you pay 100$ for CFS3 beforehand?

Prices are not only determined by inflation and cost of development: it's market who determines it. Sim games have a hard future yet, raising prices would only discourage new buyers and gamers. Even if we are ready to pay as much, we are only a hard-core minority. Without new simmers, sim gaming is doomed, and no one wants to pay double for something they have not even tried.

Don't be ridiculous, I know FB is a good inversion, but not all software is. And even so, it's just stupid paying 300$ for a hamburger, no matter how much you like burgers.

One thing is sure, I've never pirated a game and never will. Like Ferrari cars, if I can't afford them, then I don't have them, pause.

But, people, stop judging yourselves as the medium customer because you are not. You are mostly hardcore simmers. You would pay a million for a good sim. But you are not the bulk of the market.

Crash_Moses
06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
So what you're saying is; IL-2 is like the world's best tasting hamburger?

Agree!

Now I'm hungry... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

DuxCorvan
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5880/bk9ba.jpg

Stew278
06-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Prices are not only determined by inflation and cost of development: it's market who determines it.

This is true. Just look at the prices for games that are on both PC and consoles. For example right now TES:Oblivion for Xbox costs $55 where the PC version is $35. Same game right? (Actually the PC version is better because you can add user made mods) They started out at the same price when they were first released I thought. There's a bigger market for consoles so they can keep charging more and still sell.

Look what happens whenever MS releases a new game for example FSX or Age of Empires III. Those were what, $65-70 when they first released? FSX still sells for $65. IL2: 1946 was $40 when it first released but now you can find it for $20-30. So in the same period of ~7months 1946 drops 25-50% in price and FSX drops <10%? The copies will keep flying off the shelves for MS even at high prices because of name recognition (and maybe because of rigorous copy protection measures?)

Capt.LoneRanger
06-06-2007, 03:54 PM
If the game is really good and worth the price, yes, I would pay 100$.

M_Gunz
06-06-2007, 04:02 PM
At a time when sim lines were ending and there was industry reps saying 'no more' there came
from far east a sim DEMO that blew everything else away. I've been happy to support the line
of sims continuing from first release since and as noted, $90-$100 is less but I have had the
things my money bought for years spread out and used all this time. $40 for the original IL2
was a bargain even without free added planes.

Ask what were you playing in 2001 and for many of us the answer is something old that's been
community hacked and manages to stay alive with no sequel, addons or reuse of the original
project. RB3D, EAW and Falcon 4 fit in there.
For a lot of others it was CFS-whatever and the many non-MS addons for those.

If there had been no IL2 series would you have paid $100 for FB+AEP as one sim in 2004?

Bearcat99
06-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
I'm more amazed by the smacktards that buy 4 copies of the same game because it makes them feel better inside. Children in various parts of Africa die of hunger and war, and all you can do to feel good is buy 4 copies of the same game? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Now is that really necessary?

WWSensei
06-06-2007, 04:19 PM
The reason PC games cost around $50 and console games cost around $60-$70 is because that is what the market is willing to pay. Once you get beyond the production cost you simply charge what you can charge. It's Economics 101. If SoW releases at $75 a copy and not enough sales are generated you can bet the price will drop. If it sells like hot cakes and there is a shortage of the game the price will rise.

If you think back games have always hovered around $50 and computers have always hovered around $2000--what you get for that money changes.

FlatSpinMan
06-06-2007, 04:44 PM
When I was back in NZ at Xmas I bought '46 for NZ$85 so yes, $90 to 100 is acceptable. That's what all good new games cost in NZ, I think Australia must be about the same. Things are cheap in North America.

XyZspineZyX
06-06-2007, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:

Yes, if I can get 100 hours of enjoyment a month out of a sim that costs 100 dollars, then of course I'd buy it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't gonna pay $50 for anything when I was in fifth grade. I think I made it up to Microprose when I bought M1 Tank Platoon, M1 Tank Platoon II , F-117 , Fleet Defender, Falcon 3.0+MiG-29, Falcon 4.0 , B-17 , Gunship 2000 , F-15 SE III ,Civilization, European Airwar and whatever else I am forgetting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wasn't in the 5th grade in 1985. I was 14. But I do recall those games also not costing 50 dollars. I recall 34.95 and 39.99 prices, because I was mowing lawns and delivering newspapers to buy my software http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

How you got those games, legitimately and not so legitimately, is your own affair, but I will not retract my statement that says maybe if more people paid for software back when it was "victimless", things would be better for the simming crowd, because Microprose might still be making sims. Sorry, I can't do it- because it's true. I'm not villifying you. If I wanted to make statements about your honesty and character or whatever, beleive me, I'd just do it. I'm not exactly shy. You were 5, and 5 year olds are typically not great judges of right and wrong- but still, Microprose went under, and as you say, lots of people were software pirates back then

Krt_Bong
06-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Lemme see Bill Gates charges us 200 Dollars for his incomplete (P)O.S. which never is finished because it's always updating itself, then when you think your PC is finally working right he comes out with the NEW Improved one which is sold without any drivers that function with your old programs and hardware, your DVD drive quits playing DVD's and you have to pay out the butt for software to make it function, etc, etc. Now someone wants us to pay even more for something that we'll be in the forums b!tchin' about how it don't work..? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif I think not

BrotherVoodoo
06-06-2007, 05:42 PM
If it is a quality and fully supported sim, I would pay 100$.

slappedsilly
06-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Thats it guys, tell 'em you'd like to pay more....
what are you all thinking? It would only mean more illegal copies and less sales and less profit anyway. Leave it cheap and bring in some new blood!

AKA_TAGERT
06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:

I'm more amazed by the smacktards that buy 4 copies of the same game because it makes them feel better inside. Children in various parts of Africa die of hunger and war, and all you can do to feel good is buy 4 copies of the same game? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL!

Nice try.. but no sale!

Rjel
06-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I think any type of product has a magic price point that people will stop at. In my area, $3 gallons of milk will turn people away, but those same people will pay $3.50+ for a gallon of gas. It's all about need, IMO. While I might pay $100 for an IL2 quality sim, I might not pay that for something I was unfamiliar with. So too a casual gamer or one new to flight sims might walk away, limiting a growing fanbase. We've grown into the IL2 series, so we are willing to consider that kind of price. But I would need proof positive that any $100 sim was as nearly bug free and feature laden as was humanly possible before laying out the dough.

redfeathers1948
06-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Its a no brainer heck yes I am getting to old to chase skirts!!hello

partic_3
06-06-2007, 06:28 PM
"consumer price index"
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. The CPI exists to dramatically understate inflation. 50 1985 dollars would be $200 of domestically produced goods and services today. Games have gotten cheaper because of competition and productivity increases due to technology.