PDA

View Full Version : Strong Language? Seriously?

Schism
09-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I haven't visited this site for a while, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I just noticed the new ESRB rating & content descriptors on the main page. I see that "Strong Language" is among them.

Has there been any discussion about what this might mean? I was under the impression that all the dialogue in the game would be in the native language that was used in Jerusalem in that point in history. Did the F-bomb even exist back then?

What's the story?

Schism
09-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I haven't visited this site for a while, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I just noticed the new ESRB rating & content descriptors on the main page. I see that "Strong Language" is among them.

Has there been any discussion about what this might mean? I was under the impression that all the dialogue in the game would be in the native language that was used in Jerusalem in that point in history. Did the F-bomb even exist back then?

What's the story?

deskpe
09-01-2007, 07:08 PM
dont forget about the futuristic/present twist, lol

bump2007
09-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I think the strong language may have to do with killing threats and/or slavery. They probably don't swear back in the 1100s, since everybody was so formal.

Schism
09-01-2007, 10:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bump2007:
I think the strong language may have to do with killing threats and/or slavery. They probably don't swear back in the 1100s, since everybody was so formal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't believe that the ESRB would bother putting "strong language" on the box if it referred to anything other than profanity.

Devtek
09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bump2007:
I think the strong language may have to do with killing threats and/or slavery. They probably don't swear back in the 1100s, since everybody was so formal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Formal...swearing has been around since there were languages to swear in. Heck (:P) cave-men probably had a specific grunt that meant f-off. As for the searing in the game will probably be "***", "hell", "****e" etc. ESRB gets worked up over nothing. And its a M game so as long as there isn't swearing every other word it would fit. Its the middle ages, people crapped out windows I would expect some swearing wouldn't you?

Howler13
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I think bump2007 may be correct. both God of War's got rated for "Strong Language" even though there isn't a single swear word in either game. It has to do with the fact that everytime Kratos opens his mouth, he's talking about killing someone (usually a god). The fact you play as an assassin makes me thing alot of conversations about killing will be brought up. I don't think we will be hearing Altair cussing left and right, at least I my hope.

SCARFACE_47
09-02-2007, 01:19 AM
hm actually i never thought of te language fact
when i watched the simpsons "3 wettest stories ever told" you know with the gayflower (homer rulz) you saw even moe complaining about the weird language
and in pop and ac it seems that they talk pretty normal....thank you ubi ^^

Phreaky_McGeek
09-02-2007, 04:55 AM
ESRB is crazy about strong language. There's only a few phrases of Gears I can remember which doesn't involve swearing, yet it got away with violence on gore. Psychonauts, on the other hand, got a strong language rating and the main character said "***" once.

quicksilver_502
09-02-2007, 05:03 AM
They probably don't swear back in the 1100s, since everybody was so formal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

believe it or not, not everyone in the middle ages talked like a shakespearian character. maybe the nobles talked formally but the vast majority were,well,normal. some begger in the street didn't go" pray sir, would thou be so kind as to grace me with some money" he went"oy you ugly bu***r, gimme some f****g money."

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dragfindel
09-02-2007, 08:40 AM
well in pop on the sailing boat where your fighting the woman. (yeah vague) the prince gets sliced in the face and yells:' you b!tch!'
so why not altair at some moments?

SCARFACE_47
09-02-2007, 08:43 AM
UH yeah there it was
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reAh2NmWT5M
you see how they speak?
ok it isn´t 1191 but still wicked and we all should be glad that ubisoft didn´t copy this kind of language

ScytheOfGrim
09-02-2007, 11:13 AM
HAHAHA!!! i just thought of something!!!

what if (yeah, it's probably not true but anyways http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) the "strong language" was because Altair being a Muslim and all might say at some random points (maybe before he jumps in for the kill http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) "Bismillah"?

which means "in the name of God", i cant explain how it's used, but before you do anything you're supposed to say it...

anyway, because of the "false" (note the quotation marks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) thoughts that Arabs are terrorists, they feel that they should warn about this and put it in the "strong language" category. only because "terrorists" use it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

i feel stupid http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

i think bump is right tough... that makes the most sense...

AldirTheKnight
09-02-2007, 01:24 PM
but Alty ain't a Muslim..

RuthlessGravity
09-02-2007, 03:14 PM
ESRB are really critical for every little thing (and sometimes they miss a few things). Strong language can range from anything, from swearing to using sexual slang, also if a character were to talk about violent subjects or subjects that are not appropiate for younger peeps then they would label it.

chewie1890
09-02-2007, 03:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Strong Language - Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quote taken directly from the ESRB.org (http://ESRB.org) website.

I don't really pay attention to the ESRB ratings though, I've never really agreed with the ratings they give games so I just ignore it.

bump2007
09-02-2007, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quicksilver_502:
They probably don't swear back in the 1100s, since everybody was so formal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

believe it or not, not everyone in the middle ages talked like a shakespearian character. maybe the nobles talked formally but the vast majority were,well,normal. some begger in the street didn't go" pray sir, would thou be so kind as to grace me with some money" he went"oy you ugly bu***r, gimme some f****g money."

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I understand you correctly, I would have to disagree with you. I don't think they swore like "gangsters" in the 1100s. The swearing language they use is probably completely different then the way we used it.

And a quick history lesson, the word **** (F word) wasn't used until 1400s.

So I doubt will we hear that word in the game.

bump2007
09-02-2007, 04:59 PM
The F word wasn't used until the 1400s so I don't think we will be hearing of that.

Schism
09-02-2007, 05:13 PM
The F word wasn't used until the 1400s so I don't think we will be hearing of that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. I emailed the ESRB about it, just out of curiosity. Hopefully they can shed some light on it. They've been really good about answering very specific questions about game ratings recently.

Even if their rating process is bull$h!t, they're pretty open about what content is actually in the game, even if the developers aren't. The news about Mass Effect's sex scene(s) came directly from ESRB, not from BioWare. People were concerned about the vague "partial nudity" content descriptor, and emailed them about it.

bump2007
09-02-2007, 06:20 PM
So Schism... you mean to tell us that we can get behind the scenes info on Assassin's Creed by emailing a third party? We need to come up with a real complicated question that will "accidentally" make ESRB leak information about AC! Hm, start thinking guys!

Schism
09-02-2007, 06:32 PM
So Schism... you mean to tell us that we can get behind the scenes info on Assassin's Creed by emailing a third party? We need to come up with a real complicated question that will "accidentally" make ESRB leak information about AC! Hm, start thinking guys! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haha... yeah, that's basically what I'm saying.

I'll write back with an update about this stupid "strong language" thing if/when they get back to me.

Randsharpeye
09-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I am also know as HogOfDeath on the internets LAWL
I was the guy that emailed the ERSB about Mass Effect. The email you get will sound like this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Dear (my real life Name),

Thank you for contacting the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). We are always interested to hear from those who use the ratings, and appreciate your taking the time to contact us with your thoughts and comments.

The ESRB does its best to ensure that the rating process is meticulous and thorough. At least three specially trained raters review actual footage from each game submitted to the ESRB. The raters examine the game's most extreme content, evaluate its context and overall intensity, and use their own good judgment to recommend the rating they believe will be most helpful to consumers.

In the case of Mass Effect the raters determined that the M (Mature 17+) rating with content descriptors for Blood, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Violence was most appropriate. According to the publishers submission for Mass Effect, there are two non-interactive videos that depict a discreet love scene between the main character and his romantic love interests. Breast profiles can be seen during one of the videos. There is a scene in a bar where female characters wear thong underwear. This type of content is likely to have contributed to the rating and content descriptors ultimately assigned by the raters.

ESRB does its best to provide reliable information about a game's content, but we also encourage parents and all consumers to do their own independent research, via game packaging, websites, magazine reviews, and other sources, to see if a game is appropriate for their family. Ratings can only be a guide and we hope that you will continue to use the system.

We hope information is helpful, and thank you for writing.

Regards,

Entertainment Software Rating Board </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what i sent them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I am wondering why did Mass Effect get partial nudity and sexual themes in its rating. Depending on how it got this rating will change my purchasing plans. Can you please explain to me why you have given these to Mass Effect, because they are rather vague details that could very mild or very graphic in nature.
Thank You For Your Time,
Sincerely,
(my Name)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it will take a 5-7 days for them to respond

They are rather helpful people

Wanted_David
09-02-2007, 07:31 PM
They were soo formal back then that all they could say when they wanted protection from any attacker was "Keep him away from me...".
Lol. I can't think of any reason why ESRB put that rating on such a violence and loud-mouth free game...
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

bump2007
09-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Well, "keep him away from me" sounds a lot more formal then "F off, b****!", wouldn't you agree?

AldirTheKnight
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM
LMAO

Lineman_5000
09-02-2007, 08:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howler13:
I think bump2007 may be correct. both God of War's got rated for "Strong Language" even though there isn't a single swear word in either game. It has to do with the fact that everytime Kratos opens his mouth, he's talking about killing someone (usually a god). The fact you play as an assassin makes me thing alot of conversations about killing will be brought up. I don't think we will be hearing Altair cussing left and right, at least I my hope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

God of War got the Strong Language tag because the comentary from the makers of the game was full of swearing. That might be the case with Assassin's.

gamequeen88
09-03-2007, 06:10 AM
hahaha, this topic is interesting, you know

strong language?

what language is strong?
english?

Ammario
09-03-2007, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lineman_5000:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howler13:
I think bump2007 may be correct. both God of War's got rated for "Strong Language" even though there isn't a single swear word in either game. It has to do with the fact that everytime Kratos opens his mouth, he's talking about killing someone (usually a god). The fact you play as an assassin makes me thing alot of conversations about killing will be brought up. I don't think we will be hearing Altair cussing left and right, at least I my hope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

God of War got the Strong Language tag because the comentary from the makers of the game was full of swearing. That might be the case with Assassin's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you said that, first thing that popped into my head was Jade Raymond swearing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

SCARFACE_47
09-03-2007, 11:30 AM
somehow i do not get it anymore
what is now heavy language since i just checked my godfather box and it had no icon (yes it is uncut, not the stupid german version)
and i know sentences like i can beat you crippled!! or you can not roll cigars withour thumbs....
is it just words like b!tch and the f-bomb??
i know the esrb and pegi somehow aren´t that great (no they do not s()ck, if you say so, you do not know the usk...) but at least a list of words that aren´t nice would be nice
i want my family friendly, car jacking, people mass slaughter game with addicted people and drugs and not something that influences me and young children (SARCASM!!)

Lineman_5000
09-03-2007, 01:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ammario:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lineman_5000:

God of War got the Strong Language tag because the comentary from the makers of the game was full of swearing. That might be the case with Assassin's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you said that, first thing that popped into my head was Jade Raymond swearing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh yeah, I could see that happening. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

DeAdLy2323
09-03-2007, 02:39 PM
maybe in the future time or something. or maybe if altair is memory or w/e, he falls down and mutters "****zu"

AldirTheKnight
09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeAdLy2323:
maybe in the future time or something. or maybe if altair is memory or w/e, he falls down and mutters "****zu" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol wth?

sireatsalot91
09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I hate ESRB, they said that Bioshock had sexual themes in it and so the guy behind the counter wouldn't let me by it (im 16), and then when i told my mom how they exagerate things, (which they do) he piped in and told her how they're
"actually pretty honest" about the ratings. Honest my ***, they said sexual themes were in Prince of Persia, Fable, and Oblivion. I hate ESRB...

elvenmonkey13
09-04-2007, 10:50 PM
WEll there are sexual themes in Bioshock. At least by America's censorship rules. There are strip clubs with lights in the from of women(cant remeber if they were nude or partially nude).

SCARFACE_47
09-05-2007, 12:55 AM
WTF
and why didn´t have the titibar in driver parallel lines had no censer??
tis sux....

Schism
09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, I just heard back from the ESRB. Below is their nigh-useless reply:

Dear Dan,

Thank you for contacting the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB).

The ESRB is unable to release rating information on a title before it has been rated. Once rated, we post the information on our website after 30 days have passed.
After a game has been released, please check our website for rating and descriptor information. If you require the information before the release date, please consult the publisher directly.

Please note: The ESRB gives general information on age-appropriateness and extreme content in a given game. For specific content information, we suggest you contact the game's publisher directly. For information on our ratings and descriptors, please visit our website at www.esrb.org (http://www.esrb.org).
Best,

Entertainment Software Rating Board

Apparently UbiSoft knows the game's rating... but the ESRB doesn't! Go figure.

DeAdLy2323
09-05-2007, 05:45 PM
lol, this guy probably gets paid to send out emails like this to everyone, and has a notepad filled with them so he can just copy and paste http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

and really, why would they say it is not rated when it is?

princeofyo
09-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Haven't you ever read the book Grendel? Apperantly the ancient Anglo-Saxon used the F word.

Kaxen6
09-05-2007, 09:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by princeofyo:
Haven't you ever read the book Grendel? Apperantly the ancient Anglo-Saxon used the F word. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh Gods, I hated that book...

@_@ I have no idea on what cursing was committed during the Crusades... though I'd assume they'd be completely indecipherable by now... Like with Shakespeare's time, "I bite my thumb at you" (something about telling you to go retrieve a fig out of a donkey's buttcrack. Usually accompanied with a hand sign kind of like when you play that "I got your nose!" trick on little children...)

How could the ESRB not know? Would telling the reason why be a spoiler to the game or something?! Not that I can imagine Altair suddenly letting out a string of curses at some important plot point...

Prol33tariat
09-07-2007, 12:25 AM
there are many foul insults, many more forgotten ones, especially in Hebrew and Arabic tounges, as well as Latin and Portuguese, French, and Italian.

there have always been "curse" words, just the entomology of that phrase conveys that, one would think.....to curse someone...hello :|

there were things you could say that would get you stoned to death...**** was a French word describing a sexual experience of a certain kind, whihc was later re-worked by Shakespeare giving it its current and most known variation.

so in short, there have always been profanity of some sort, it maye have been of a sentence or a train of thought more commonly back in the crusades however, there were still slangs and words considered profane.

Weeoo86
09-30-2007, 07:24 PM
That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense making the characters swear. I just hope there isn't too much swearing. Crackdown had some swear words but it wasn't as bad as some games like Far Cry: Instincts or Rainbow Six: Vegas....

spazzoo1025
09-30-2007, 07:36 PM
seems like there's more and more threads popping up questioning this M (or 18+) rating...

adio540
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
no profanity and the all sacred "f bomb" have existed for longer than you could imagine and i dont think it was that formal back then?

mefninja
09-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Strong language.. **** that ****.. aint no ****ing video game is going to make anyone ****ing sware at ****ing all.. its ****ign bull**** if you ask me.. ****

mefninja
09-30-2007, 08:29 PM
**** that.

cowboyonacid
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Why do you care? Are you offended by curse words, swearing, or how some call it profanity?

It's just talking.

mefninja
09-30-2007, 10:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cowboyonacid:
Why do you care? Are you offended by curse words, swearing, or how some call it profanity?

It's just talking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no some of them are under 18+ and wont be able to buy the game by them selfs.. haha

lnhumancode
10-01-2007, 04:10 AM
For some reason, I can't imagine Altair screaming "**** **** ****!" after missing a hay stack.
I think there'd be the occasional slip of something like "*****", or as someone said, it may just be mentioning of slave markets, death threats, etc.

***edited for content- do not bypass the autocensor, it exists for a very good reason in all Ubi forums - thanks //zgubilici

jonavoly
10-01-2007, 04:17 AM
I think the strong language may have to do with killing threats and/or slavery. They probably don't swear back in the 1100s, since everybody was so formal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Formal, no.
Polite, Yes.

Not nearly as screwd up as the world of today, Definitly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

moqqy
10-01-2007, 07:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jonavoly:
I think the strong language may have to do with killing threats and/or slavery. They probably don't swear back in the 1100s, since everybody was so formal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Formal, no.
Polite, Yes.

Not nearly as screwd up as the world of today, Definitly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did swear back in 1100s

jonavoly
10-01-2007, 08:05 AM
sure but they probably used words we wouldent even remember to be swears (LOL in arabic!)

ScytheOfGrim
10-01-2007, 08:08 AM
oh, lol!!!

i can imagine it now! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

you dive through a kiosk with the guards pounding behind you. what does the merchant say? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"kharab baitik ya ibn ilhabla!!!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

AirRon_2K7
10-01-2007, 08:17 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

ScytheOfGrim
10-01-2007, 08:38 AM
you know arabic AirRon? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

come to think of it... is that arabic text faded into the background of your sig? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

AirRon_2K7
10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
I get the jist of it, but it does help that I'm muslim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

lnhumancode
10-01-2007, 04:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"kharab baitik ya ibn ilhabla!!!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, what does that mean? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

zgubilici
10-01-2007, 11:12 PM
This type of thing is better suited for PTs, not the public forum, regardless of its ultimate purpose (joke or anything of the sort) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
There is a very good reason why we ask everyone to stick to English in these forums.
Please keep that in mind when posting.
Thankshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ScytheOfGrim
10-02-2007, 04:00 AM
haha! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif sorry Z. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

i hope you don't mind me putting the translation for those that are wondering though... it's nothing that bad... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

"May God bring down your house you son of an idiot!"

lol, the "son of an idiot" part was feminine too... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

the_assassin_07
10-02-2007, 04:50 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

That's really not bad... as long as you're not saying it to anyone on the forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif.

eliteassassin69
10-04-2007, 08:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lnhumancode:
For some reason, I can't imagine Altair screaming "**** **** ****!" after missing a hay stack.
I think there'd be the occasional slip of something like "*****", or as someone said, it may just be mentioning of slave markets, death threats, etc.

] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif AHAHAHAH I can just imagine Altair laying on the ground hurt n cursin. to bad thats not in the game lol.