PDA

View Full Version : DEDICATED SERVER - PC - WHY ?

viiiper2006
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
DEDICATED SERVER - PC - WHY ?

I hope the title attracts attention, because this is one more really important point, if missed will only kill the game faster and community support, let me explain, post your views.

Ok this really effects the PC community as X360 & PS3 are normally P2P (peer to peer) and that's the problem. Many game developers are releasing multi platform games and giving the users only P2P support, no dedicated server, you may ask why would dedicated be important or better than p2p

<span class="ev_code_yellow">DEDICATED SERVER - THE ARGUMENT FOR:</span>

1.You need Dedicated for One, you can advertise the address of a fixed server, everyone finds it 24/7. You can promote the fixed IP server or resolved server.

2.Dedicated server give you the ability to perma ban idiots, P2P does not. abusive players can be IP banned or ID banned. Ban logs can be shared by friendly communities.(hackers & unwanted guests).

3.Dedicated server give you the ability to set up the server like you want in a session and have that setup, set automatically from launch of the server.

4.Normally multiple instances of dedicated can be run, so you can run a LMS dogfight on one and a TDM mission on two and a Objective game on server instance Three, P2P CAN NOT !

5.P2P is the cheap way out, dedicated server needs a dedicated module which developers cut out for cost, not because it's a feature no one wants. PC players crave the ability to find good regular servers, Dedicated gives them that feature.

6. IF you gave the community dedicated server (look at COD4) you game lasts longer, Loyalty builds as the games longevity can be enhanced with long running communities.

7. Dedicated servers builds communities which link up, look at all the games that run dedi !!
OGR, GRAW Series, players cried out for Dedicated and Ubi Delivered.

8. The player hosting has zero ping to themself and all others are plus mS ping, this effect has been seen many times over. Normally all players have a 30mS plus ping to a Dedicated servers.

I hope I've made a decent argument FOR: I have no argument against except it saves Ubisoft money, but that is at the expense of community adhesion for the title. I wish X360 & PS3 could have dedicated too, but normally a buddy list is supplied, PC users like that as an added bonus too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

viii

viiiper2006
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
DEDICATED SERVER - PC - WHY ?

I hope the title attracts attention, because this is one more really important point, if missed will only kill the game faster and community support, let me explain, post your views.

Ok this really effects the PC community as X360 & PS3 are normally P2P (peer to peer) and that's the problem. Many game developers are releasing multi platform games and giving the users only P2P support, no dedicated server, you may ask why would dedicated be important or better than p2p

<span class="ev_code_yellow">DEDICATED SERVER - THE ARGUMENT FOR:</span>

1.You need Dedicated for One, you can advertise the address of a fixed server, everyone finds it 24/7. You can promote the fixed IP server or resolved server.

2.Dedicated server give you the ability to perma ban idiots, P2P does not. abusive players can be IP banned or ID banned. Ban logs can be shared by friendly communities.(hackers & unwanted guests).

3.Dedicated server give you the ability to set up the server like you want in a session and have that setup, set automatically from launch of the server.

4.Normally multiple instances of dedicated can be run, so you can run a LMS dogfight on one and a TDM mission on two and a Objective game on server instance Three, P2P CAN NOT !

5.P2P is the cheap way out, dedicated server needs a dedicated module which developers cut out for cost, not because it's a feature no one wants. PC players crave the ability to find good regular servers, Dedicated gives them that feature.

6. IF you gave the community dedicated server (look at COD4) you game lasts longer, Loyalty builds as the games longevity can be enhanced with long running communities.

7. Dedicated servers builds communities which link up, look at all the games that run dedi !!
OGR, GRAW Series, players cried out for Dedicated and Ubi Delivered.

8. The player hosting has zero ping to themself and all others are plus mS ping, this effect has been seen many times over. Normally all players have a 30mS plus ping to a Dedicated servers.

I hope I've made a decent argument FOR: I have no argument against except it saves Ubisoft money, but that is at the expense of community adhesion for the title. I wish X360 & PS3 could have dedicated too, but normally a buddy list is supplied, PC users like that as an added bonus too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

viii

oldgray
07-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I agree with you 100% http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

ScrubberManFHP
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Good point. I agree.

viiiper2006
08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
What are the chances we don't get it?
But after seeing the footage, I'm so sad, the game play looks 100% arcade, the advance mode in remote cam only and rumors of no take off & landing... Well at least it's slipped into 2009, lets hope they heard the cries..... There is so much potential to hit & miss...

Is there any hard info on dedicated server support for PC?

GD_Mezion
03-19-2009, 03:00 AM
I know that our clan was looking forward to creating a dedicated server. As there appears to be no ability to do this (bought the game today), nor have I seen any sign that they are going to (can't see any xmls being created), I know that almost no-one else in the clan is going to buy it. Most likely I'll be returning it tomorrow as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same as they did with graw2 - wait a year or more before releasing anything resembling one. In which case I'll be better off because it will be cheaper then.

MFTGYW-tracy
03-19-2009, 12:01 PM
dedicated server is a most

LiquidPinky
03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Great, another good game ruined by p2p console ****e. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Please don't tell me the ping is displayed using some ghey bar graph and not actual numbers, it's not is it?

THS-Tritonb
03-19-2009, 03:03 PM
HI VIPER!! Long time no see buddy. I totally agree, we need dedicated server support.

=THS=Tritonb

Falsitive
03-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Agreed. You would think by now, big time companies such as UBISOFT would have a ****ing CLUE of what is needed and what ruins a game.

I think they were more worried about ****ting out a hand full of incomplete titles just to make a quick buck.

It turns my stomach that I purchased this game for online only to find out the online system is JUNK and amature. Wake up Ubisoft...

I definitely wont be purchasing any Ubisoft games any time soon. Hawx has showed me no matter how pretty a game looks, they still can't manage to make a decent game out of it.

Awesome single player. Sad online. Sad company. One less consumer.

skywarp00
03-21-2009, 06:02 PM
maybe if the game was made by yanks it would have been better and more real but being made by overseas developers.....ya...

JonathanWinters
03-21-2009, 11:38 PM
i heart his post
p2p gaming is just.... leave it for the consoles

Magicpotato
03-22-2009, 12:17 AM
i would punch the person behind Porting P2P Gaming on th Pc square in the face