PDA

View Full Version : weapon convergence

kotka1965
06-13-2005, 11:24 AM
what is the best weapons convergence distans?
(In dogfit).

kotka1965
06-13-2005, 11:24 AM
what is the best weapons convergence distans?
(In dogfit).

Taylortony
06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
It varies, i have mine at about 150 to 200, but best way to se it is dive towards a tree and when you get to where you would fire at a plane fire at the tree... look at the spread on the ground and increase or decrease the convergence till you get a nice tight pattern around the tree......... that way you have it set to the range you normally fire at..

Deedsundone
06-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I have set both mine at 300.I think that´s resonable far out and close.In my case it doesn´t matter anyway,such an ace I am,they just fly into ground in fear anyway...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Freelancer-1
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylortony:
It varies, i have mine at about 150 to 200, but best way to se it is dive towards a tree and when you get to where you would fire at a plane fire at the tree... look at the spread on the ground and increase or decrease the convergence till you get a nice tight pattern around the tree......... that way you have it set to the range you normally fire at.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it. A simple, yet effective solution.

Thanks

Freelancer

JG26_Boar
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I like to use 120m for mg & cannons...works well since i don't fire until very close.

Fliegeroffizier
06-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Mg 175 Meters
Cannon 130 Meters

I seldom, if ever, fire at ranges beyond 200 meters.

F19_Ob
06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Depends on plane.

On p47 I have divided convergence. Half the mg's on 400m and the other on 200 wich gives me the best of longrange and shorterrange shootingopportunities.

On il2 I have both mg's and cannons set to 300m wich gives a god hitpattern up to 600m wich is my normal range to start firing in that plane.
On shorter ranges most planes outmaneuver me so I have to do the best I can before they are too close.

Fighters with light mg's are usually slow aswell. The opponents therfor outspeeds me so I set the convergence to 300 wich gives me an ok hitpattern on 500m aswell.

Fighters I consider normal I have convergence set to 250m wich also give an ok pattern up to 400-500m.

I never wait to fire if I think I have a small chance of hitting.

If my convergence are set to short and I have to shoot at long range I roll my plane before firing so the bullets are lined up along the targets flightpath.

Call_me_Kanno
06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Planes with wing mounted guns-200 to 300
Planes with nose mounted guns-500

dieg777
06-13-2005, 05:40 PM
for spitfires/hurricanes 300
for Me109 and FW 190 500

there are some practice missions in snapshot link in my sig to help you set up for shooting- these only work in merged install

hope this helps

mole_boy
06-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I suggest you try lots of different convergances end when you find something you like stick with it.

civildog
06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm probably overdoing it as usual but this is what I do:

First, explosive shells go bang when they hit and really primarily upon that bang to do damage. Solid slug ammo (like in most machineguns) relies on kinetic energy and a hard nose to punch in and break things and/or kill the soft gooey center of the plane (namely you).

Therefore cannon firing HE rounds (and to an extent, APHE rounds like that newfangled minenschossen round the LW boys are crowing about)can be fired from farther away and still do serious damage.

You need to be as close as you can to get maximum effect from solid slug rounds.

The exception is the nose cannon in the Cobra: it has so much loft ( and so little velocity)you need to be really close to hit reliably with it in a dogfight. Sure you can mortar rounds out to a long distance but that sort of thing works best against big bombers and the sides of barns.

Secondly, all guns spread and automatic guns spread more. So the closer you are the more rounds will land on the target in a smaller area. So the more damage you will inflict with less ammo. Especially important in those miserly VVS planes with only pocket-fulls of ammo.

Therefore you need to set your convergence as close as possible so you can maximize the damage. You can also set explosive rounds to a farther convergence to give you a little more reach while keeping the faster firing MG's for the knife fighting.

I set my Cobra's guns to 200m MG and 150m for the 37mm (200m for the 20mm Hispano). At this setting I can use the MG's to wound (or kill if I shoot him too much) my target and finish him off with a shot or two from the cannon.

In the 109 or FW I set the cannon (or heavy cannon in the case of the FW) to 300m and the MG's to 200. They have more accurate cannon than the Cobras so i can use them to slow my target down from a greater distance and finish the job with the MG's.

The fifties in Allied planes are always set for 200m. They put a lot of rounds on a target fast, and if you shoot from 200m &lt; then it will saw anything in half with a long burst. A short burst will definitely make them sweat.

While you are thinking about those things consider, too, that wing mounted guns have a narrower convergence zone than nose mounted guns. A big plane like the P-47 can bracket a target and not hit it because the 47 is firing over and under the target depending on the aspect it shoots from.

Nose mounted guns have a good convergence zone from the nosetip to a few 100m beyond the set convergence. Obviously the best zone for them to hit for max damage is the one you set it for, but it means you can shoot out farther and still hit to good effect when a wing mount plane can't.