PDA

View Full Version : Forest 2 or 3?

SsSsSsSsSnake
02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Ive tried both and at the moment havent noticed any difference.

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a difference in the way the game looks between the 2 settings?
thanks

SsSsSsSsSnake
02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Ive tried both and at the moment havent noticed any difference.

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a difference in the way the game looks between the 2 settings?
thanks

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Are you running perfect landscape? I think that makes a difference. I've tried both and do see a visual improvement with forest=3.

SsSsSsSsSnake
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Urufu,
yes i have it set to perfect.

thanks

OMK_Hand
02-08-2008, 06:39 PM
One noticable effect with Forest 3 is that individual trees sway gently in the breeze...

SsSsSsSsSnake
02-08-2008, 11:53 PM
thanks for that

ffb
02-20-2008, 01:29 AM
I think in Perfect the 'random' trees sway in both 2 and 3

I did notice that my groups of trees had disappeared...but they came back when i changed from 3 to 2

Gnomie
04-30-2008, 12:23 PM
But the forest trees still look like flat disks, right? Because that's what I'm seeing..

SeaFireLIV
04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gnomie:
But the forest trees still look like flat disks, right? Because that's what I'm seeing.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignore the flat disc trees, they will always be there. They are simply an fps saver in depicting large forests. What forest=3 does is increased the amount of individual trees you see about. Perhaps it should be called Trees=3 instead of forest=3!

major_setback
04-30-2008, 02:01 PM
You might have to be running in Open GL mode.

You will see more trees around and in towns.

Most importantly you will see 3D trees at the edges of forests, so there is less chance of running into the 'disc' trees.

Choctaw111
04-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Another big difference between forest 2 and 3 is the number of individual trees. There are many more of them on the 3 setting. It just looks so much better and the landscape not so barren.

Schwarz.13
05-01-2008, 01:33 AM
That's where i've been going wrong! All this time mine has been set to forest=gump http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

jermin122
05-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Schwarz, I like that MK 108 vid.

Phil_K
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Forest = 3 has two problems:

First is that solid trees Object 165 becomes invisible with some graphics cards/drivers.

Second is that destroyed cities wreathed in smoke are still full of lovely verdant greenery....

Choctaw111
05-01-2008, 01:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil_K:

First is that solid trees Object 165 becomes invisible with some graphics cards/drivers.

Second is that destroyed cities wreathed in smoke are still full of lovely verdant greenery.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...I never noticed the trees in the center of destroyed cities before. I will have to watch for that.

Schwarz.13
05-01-2008, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil_K:

Second is that destroyed cities wreathed in smoke are still full of lovely verdant greenery.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...I never noticed the trees in the center of destroyed cities before. I will have to watch for that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try AgentOrange=1 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

fabianfred
05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c188/fabianfred537/2403200810-43-17.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c188/fabianfred537/2403200810-43-16.jpg

with forest=3 the 'line' of trees is replaced by the random trees.....but the random trees are indestructible.....and the ones which replace the 'line' trees still have a collision effect...whereas those out in the countryside do not

with the damage mods the normal trees and line trees have been 'hardened' so that they do not all disappear in a puff of dust...and each group requires a close hit to be destroyed.....also they have the dead tree stump left behind.....not just nothing left like the default

SeaFireLIV
05-01-2008, 07:08 PM

I never noticed the trees in cities thing. But what i did notice on some maps is that you may get the odd tree in the very wrong place, like in the middle of a runway. this can be a problem online sometimes until you figure it out.

I remember taking off on a Squad server (it was a simultaneous takeoff) and seeing a tree on the far left of the runway (my side). I swerved manically to avoid it. every one else was wondering what I was doing since they didn`t have forest=3 enabled. after that i realised that I could just fly thru them when i see them on runways, but still disconcerting.