PDA

View Full Version : OK fanboys, explain why this game is worth your fanatic devotion.

Col_Tibbetts
05-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Its time to put up or shut up folks. Please explain the zealous devotion some of you have to a game that does this...

1) Offers an AI command interface that is less featured than flight sims of the late '90s.
2) Allows rediculous enemy AI "bat-turn" maneuvers while friendly AI never attempts the same.
3) Allows emeny AI not to be hindered by G-force effects while also being able to see through clouds.
4) Calls itself an air combat simulator while having no AI squadron tactical behavior coded whatsoever.
5) Forces you into the offline world since you have no interest in that paid upgrade of a Russian bomber you dont care about.
6) Releases that paid upgrade of the Russian bomber you dont care about with more bugs than any free upgrade released to date. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif <-- Number six on the list is my favorite. HA!

My fingers are tired. The list goes on and on. Janes F18 and Falcon 4.0 had better, more complex AI command interfaces than IL2. And those are late '90s sims! And yes I know that they are jet sims but any pilot will tell you that basic squad level tactics haven't changed since the days of Eddie Rickenbacker. In IL2 I cannot even tell my wingman to break right or left!!!

If those developers could pull off such AI interaction eight years ago then why can't the almighty Oleg and crew do it now?

So stop drinking that Russian Cool-Aid and start looking at this game objectively.

Meanwhile I am headed to sea with the Kreigsmarine in SHIII. Now there's a simulation!

Col_Tibbetts
05-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Its time to put up or shut up folks. Please explain the zealous devotion some of you have to a game that does this...

1) Offers an AI command interface that is less featured than flight sims of the late '90s.
2) Allows rediculous enemy AI "bat-turn" maneuvers while friendly AI never attempts the same.
3) Allows emeny AI not to be hindered by G-force effects while also being able to see through clouds.
4) Calls itself an air combat simulator while having no AI squadron tactical behavior coded whatsoever.
5) Forces you into the offline world since you have no interest in that paid upgrade of a Russian bomber you dont care about.
6) Releases that paid upgrade of the Russian bomber you dont care about with more bugs than any free upgrade released to date. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif &lt;-- Number six on the list is my favorite. HA!

My fingers are tired. The list goes on and on. Janes F18 and Falcon 4.0 had better, more complex AI command interfaces than IL2. And those are late '90s sims! And yes I know that they are jet sims but any pilot will tell you that basic squad level tactics haven't changed since the days of Eddie Rickenbacker. In IL2 I cannot even tell my wingman to break right or left!!!

If those developers could pull off such AI interaction eight years ago then why can't the almighty Oleg and crew do it now?

So stop drinking that Russian Cool-Aid and start looking at this game objectively.

Meanwhile I am headed to sea with the Kreigsmarine in SHIII. Now there's a simulation!

AKA_TAGERT
05-23-2006, 11:58 PM
someone forgot to take a nap today?

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-24-2006, 12:00 AM
What else you got? Seriously whats better?

"So stop drinking that Russian Cool-Aid and start looking at this game objectively."

Your own advice and with the exception of the Russian part I sugest you try it ?

WWMaxGunz
05-24-2006, 12:02 AM
It's all a cruel plot to get you is why.

Col_Tibbetts
05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
You are missing the point Balrog. Oleg no longer deserves his status as a deity after allowing this game to fall from grace...

slo_1_2_3
05-24-2006, 12:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Col_Tibbetts:

6) Releases that paid upgrade of the Russian bomber you dont care about with more bugs than any free upgrade released to date. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif &lt;-- Number six on the list is my favorite. HA!

Meanwhile I am headed to sea with the Kreigsmarine in SHIII. Now there's a simulation! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You bought it.
Play it or don't no one cares.

Col_Tibbetts
05-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Once again, point missed. This game no longer deserves blind devotion...

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-24-2006, 12:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Col_Tibbetts:
You are missing the point Balrog. Oleg no longer deserves his status as a deity after allowing this game to fall from grace... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sir is an ecumenical matter! I will not be lead into a discussion on semantics.

partic_10
05-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Mmmm, you're right! Yet I still play this game after, what, 4 years?
I loved SHIII for a month, until a friend pointed out that it was the most boring game ever made and I, on reflection, decided he was right. Have not played it since and have not missed it.
Il2, well, I still enjoy immensely. It is imperfect and sometimes by golly I stamp my little foot about it, too! But then I shrug my shoulders and get back into it. I guess I must be stupid.

LEBillfish
05-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Once again, point missed. This game no longer deserves blind devotion... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better still, why are you still here then? Or is it to help us misguided souls who are nothing more then text? Or to simply bore us with your lack of a better alternative *btw, what level did you make it to on the "Malibu Barbie goes Shopping" sim?....tip, buy the red heels http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif*

Oh wait....I get it!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Kaytoo/TLI/trollbust.jpg

Cadet_Bobo
05-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Hey BaLrOgRoCkS...are you antisemantic??

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Fork-N-spoon
05-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Perhaps he only visits once and a while to see if things have changed...

I see people both in this forum and in the Hyper Lobby that are tired of this game and only stop by for a visit once and a while.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-24-2006, 01:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cadet_Bobo:
Hey BaLrOgRoCkS...are you antisemantic??

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I think sailors are ok http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Old_Canuck
05-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Once again, point missed. This game no longer deserves blind devotion... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This game has obviously failed to live up to your expectations. Nevertheless it has not failed to live up to mine which is simply to have fun. Been having fun with this one for years and still discovering new ways to enjoy it. Try a nice relaxing A-20 sunset hop at Virtual Pilots, take two aspirins and call Billfish in the morning. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Rammjaeger
05-24-2006, 01:34 AM
To answer the original question:

1. I got bored with playing FPS games, wanted to get a flight simulator due to my morbid fascination with war (especially WW2) and this was the only sim I could get my hands on (I live in Eastern Europe where there is a short supply of new computer game releases due to the limited market - I could barely find a shop that marketed PF more than a year after it was released!)

2. I never wanted to fly jets in a sim (WW2 was the golden age of aerial combat, I despise pretty much everything that happened in the past few decades in that field - planes with fancy technology simultaneously tracking a dozen targets, destroying enemy planes from miles away with rockets! High-tech is all that matters, pilots are to push buttons. What's so cool about that? Besides, I can barely name a decent post-1945 war that produced a sizeable number of fighter aces. Duh!)

3. I don't have the latest technology when it comes to hardware, so new games won't even run on my PC

I don't worship Ubisolt or Oleg, I also abhor idiotic suicidal AI doing manoeuvres that humans couldn't possibly do, sniper bomber gunners wit h accuracy real WW2 gunners could only dream of etc. However, I think it's a decent release though.

Feathered_IV
05-24-2006, 01:35 AM
This game has the "it" factor. You can list all the things you don't like or want changed, but you will still keep comming back for more. There is an indefinable, I don't know what (if you'll excuse my French) that lets it beat every other sim, warts and all.

rnzoli
05-24-2006, 01:42 AM
start looking at this game objectively.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's amazingly ironic to see this statement after your biased list, pointing out only faults in this game and exaggregating them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Sorry, but I can't take you seriously with this. You must be fishing or something. Anyhow, just one commment: I hope you like the flight models in your Kreigsmarine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Esel1964
05-24-2006, 02:38 AM

Meanwhile I am headed to sea with the Kreigsmarine in SHIII. Now there's a simulation! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As WW2 combat sims go,the "Russian Kool-aid" despite it's faults-is as good as it gets.(Esp. if it's been spiked with 'Stoli').

As a hypothetical--If you like to play tennis,and I like golf,if my golf course(never played the game-hypothetical-remember)borders your tennis court at one point;if I hollered over the fence what a "racket-swinging co**-****er" you were,would you like that?

This sim has a global community of fans,so get over it.Regardless of what you consider the "Uber-sim",I think I can speak for the majority(even with the Maddox series' drawbacks)when I say "Nobody gives a Rat's *** what you like or don't"

If you've got better,go fly it!!!

ROTC4612
05-24-2006, 02:38 AM
If the game is that terrible then downgrade your rig and go back to the late 90's http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif. Sure its not perfect but I dont personally own a P-51 or an FW-190 so i'll take what I can get. If its that terrible go make your own game. Even better would be to run around in the front yard with your arms stuck out calling out all the wingman commands you want. A little imagination goes a long way! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Xiolablu3
05-24-2006, 02:49 AM
1: There is no better WW2 flight sim.

2: Fantastic online play

3: Total Open ended gameplay, no 2 missions are the same.

4: There is no game I play more, I get bored of all other games yet this one you are always learning.

5: Meeting some genuinely cool people who play online. (No you are not one of these people, I can tell from your post)

6: Genuine efforts to get near to real flight models (An ongoing process of constant tweaking and refining)

7: Developers dont yield to pressure from whiners complaining 'their plane' isnt good enough.

8: Constantly updated.

9: Total Arcade action or Simulation, play with which settings you want, two different games. (and many in between)

10: Learning from a computer game (I have learned so much about aircraft from this game)

11: This forum

12: UK ded forum, CWOS forum, WC forum

13: Flight Engineer at the helm with extensive knowledge of Aircraft, flight, real love of WW2 aircraft etc

14: Ukdedicated/Winds Of War/Warclouds

15: Incredibly cheap for the amount of hours play (around 10 a year if you add all the packages together) most other constantly updated games are monthly fee.

16: RaybanJockey http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Geez that was no effort at all and I could go on and on...No other game comes close. (Ok the last one was a joke...)

joeap
05-24-2006, 03:03 AM
Dude I'm an avid SHIII player as well and I follow the modder's work. Let me tell you there are some serious fundamental flaws with the AI in SHIII .. I suggest checking out some threads over at subsim at the SH3 mod forum and you'll see that FB's AI is golden in comparison.

bazzaah2
05-24-2006, 03:14 AM
What Xiolablu said.

HotelBushranger
05-24-2006, 03:23 AM
Because pretty much what everyone else said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And I don't think anyone here is a complete 100% fan boy who refuses to hear anything bad. More like they know that there are problems, but they're not ungrateful twirps and know a good deal when they see it. And I'm not saying you are one, so don't worry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CHAV_
05-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Whoops you used the fanboy word lol. .there€s nothing worse than actually calling fanboys ..."fanboys" lol
It's like going up to a group of marines and saying €œSo fanboys why you like the marines so much?"
I was airborne and don't mind being called a fanboy, my wallet confirms im a fanboy,with the amount i have spent on this sim and intend to spend on bob.

WOLFMondo
05-24-2006, 04:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old_Canuck:

This game has obviously failed to live up to your expectations. Nevertheless it has not failed to live up to mine which is simply to have fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

This sim never fails to satisfy. I might have breaks but I always come back to it.

stathem
05-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Yeah. I'm absolutley gutted that I had to spend a whole 10 sterling on an add-on of a Russian bomber that's taken someone massively more talented than me months, if not years, to research, model, code and write campaigns for.

Why that's an huge,incredible, 3% of the total I've spent on TrackIR, X-52, Ch pedals. Soon to be an even smaller percentage when I spend another 200 on a bigger TFT. It's nearly 50% of my monthly broadband tax.

Guess I should throw them all in the bin because the target-drone AI are a bit screwy at the mo.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
05-24-2006, 05:02 AM
Reinstalling 'Jane's Attack Squadron' now. Thanks for the heads up.

Megile_
05-24-2006, 05:13 AM
It aint all that... but it's ok

slipBall
05-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Il-2 is not perfect, but its the best there is for ww2 flight simulation. This sim is still evolving thanks to Oleg, and his many supporters in the community. It can and will only get better with the passage of time.

William_966
05-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Well before i enjoyed FB and all the mergers, I was enjoying the Microsoft Battle for Europe. Its still a good game. I like now that I can fly the Heavies; B-17, Lancaster. U cant fly B-17s in FB and its sounds like U never will. U dont need to tell ur AI wingman to break right or left........u tell them to attack and they figure it out right away or get shot down U can only make AI so intelligent. Its only a game......enjoy and destroy!QUOTE]Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
1: There is no better WW2 flight sim.

2: Fantastic online play

3: Total Open ended gameplay, no 2 missions are the same.

4: There is no game I play more, I get bored of all other games yet this one you are always learning.

5: Meeting some genuinely cool people who play online. (No you are not one of these people, I can tell from your post)

6: Genuine efforts to get near to real flight models (An ongoing process of constant tweaking and refining)

7: Developers dont yield to pressure from whiners complaining 'their plane' isnt good enough.

8: Constantly updated.

9: Total Arcade action or Simulation, play with which settings you want, two different games. (and many in between)

10: Learning from a computer game (I have learned so much about aircraft from this game)

11: This forum

12: UK ded forum, CWOS forum, WC forum

13: Flight Engineer at the helm with extensive knowledge of Aircraft, flight, real love of WW2 aircraft etc

14: Ukdedicated/Winds Of War/Warclouds

15: Incredibly cheap for the amount of hours play (around 10 a year if you add all the packages together) most other constantly updated games are monthly fee.

16: RaybanJockey http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Geez that was no effort at all and I could go on and on...No other game comes close. (Ok the last one was a joke...)[/QUOTE]

hotspace
05-24-2006, 06:04 AM
It pi$$es off my wife when I play it, so it has to be worth it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bearcat99
05-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Well to answer your questions one by one....

Am I missing something here? I fiddled around with Warbirds, and mainly the MS series.. but I really dont recal being able to do much with AI in either of them. Since I played Warbirds mainly offline it was kind of dead anyway...

The AI in this sim is flawed... but most AI is... I find this AI more challenging than in any other sim I have flown so..... While not 100% thrilled with it.. I am satisfied enough to still be able to enjoy an offline fight. Which is really all that matters to me... if I can enjoy it though flawed it has done what I bought it for.

See above.

Not true... you can tell your AI to attack ground or air... even select multiple ground targets... flak, ships etc.. fighters or bombers...... you can call for help.. (a roll of the dice but an option that sometimes saves your neck none the less) change formation... loter... proceed.. return to base... get a vector to target or home... As in the first answer on AI... they arent perfect... and I often find myself wishing they would repond faster.. like before I loose a wing to the bandit rippiong me apart that my AI buddies have been flying with... but this AI is the best in any WWII sim on the market and possible the best in any sim currently avaialable.. I cant say since I havent tried them all... I'm too busy enjoying this one.

Well considering all the gripes surely all you non Pe-2 interetsed fliers can ban together and at least run a what.... 8 man coop? I am not interested in the Pe-2 either.. and don't fly it (not that I wont sionce I now have the option). I bought the add on because I wanted to stay current and support the series... My take on the add ons is this.... I have gone to the movies by myself, with my wife or with the whole family to see films that were terrible... I've done this so many times that if I had all the money I ever spent on movies that I didn't like after seeing them either through rentals or actually going there... I would easily have close to a four figure number... $18 for the add ons is what, less than two movie tickets actually... unless you catch the matineee... Not an issue for me.

Uhhhhhhh what bugs... the major problem was in the distribution... not the software itself. I think as far as the sim itself goes... 4.05 is pretty good....

I have no experience with those sims so I can't say.... while the AI command interface could certainly be better... it does the job. I can tell my flight or my wingman to rejoin, break.. etc...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif .... C-YA!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Since I am mainly interested in WWII flight sims...... I'll stay here and keep on enjoying myself.....

Oh... and by the way... thats FanMAN to you bub.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

LStarosta
05-24-2006, 07:35 AM
I don't even play this game anymore; I just like spamming the forums.

Lucius_Esox
05-24-2006, 07:37 AM
? If I found something better I would play it.

I'm not a fanatic just a gamer.

Just the right blend of input-reward for time spent playing it.

Bad day?

joeap
05-24-2006, 07:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucius_Esox:
? If I found something better I would play it.

I'm not a fanatic just a gamer.

Just the right blend of input-reward for time spent playing it.

Bad day? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just think it's that time of the month for Tibbets. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Monty_Thrud
05-24-2006, 08:28 AM
I http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif lawnmowers

I http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif guns

I http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif flying

I http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif flying lawnmowers with guns...http://premium1.uploadit.org/bsamania//bounce.gif

Oleg ROXX...http://premium1.uploadit.org/bsamania//HEAVYBLOODYMETAL.gif

WWMaxGunz
05-24-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm glad I got 4.05 (and run the 4.04 exes). I can't say why but it flies better, more
steady now. No change to other FM's yet something is a bit different.

EAW had AI with much more order options but then given the FM and DM there was room for
that, the AI's had _much_ less 'flying' to do for one and the gunnery was -simple-.
I even wrote hit bubble and armor tweaker for EAW and had to stop short of really good
bubble shrink because the AI would not get kills if I went below 80% bubble radius.
It still was good at cutting the golden BB's and making my experience with it better,
it ain't a touch on even original IL-2!

So yeah I can compare AI's only and wish for IL-2 series to have better. It 'should'
have as much better AI as the FM, DM, gunnery and graphics are? Then I can wish for a
10Gz 64-bit PC and 4G ultrafast RAM to run them with, or perhaps limit to 8 planes or
less and no more than that AA on my 2500 AMD with 1G 333 RAM machine.

OTOH I can get real and use what I have now.

blackpulpit1970
05-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Silent hunter...hehehe...a real sim...hehehe. If you started out with that i never would have read the rest....silent hunter...hehehe. Face it you suck at flying and you get owned alot...Cya...........silent hunter.

Jaws2002
05-24-2006, 09:11 AM

Cool. Natural selection. Just like the real life back then. People that didn't understand flying, or didn't qualify as fighter or bomber pilots were sent to other branches.......like infantry or submarines. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

mrsiCkstar
05-24-2006, 09:31 AM
what's with the AI command fetish? I've never really understood the need for a million different commands. Myself most of the time in a combat situation I'm too busy trying to keep my butt in the air to try to remember which specific key combination was for which command. By the time I hit that TAB key and try to read down the list of commands I'm already a burning pile of debris flying in the sky. I don't really see the need for more commands.

ONE command that I would definitely like though is "vector to pack" in the ground control commands. That way I could get the heading to my flight should I get separated and I have no map icons enabled etc.

other than that I don't need anything else changed in the sim.

most of the complaints in the initial post in this thread was about the AI doing this or doing that... I fly online mainly, so I don't care. It doesn't retract any enjoyment from playing this sim as far as I'm concerned.

as far as PE-2 is concerned I bought it, downloaded it, installed it and never had a problem. And I don't even speak French.

joeap
05-24-2006, 01:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaws2002:

Cool. Natural selection. Just like the real life back then. People that didn't understand flying, or didn't qualify as fighter or bomber pilots were sent to other branches.......like infantry or submarines. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guys most sub crew were volunteers and had really high casualty rates ... no need to diss the real vets cause of a virtual washout.

SH3 is a good sim in its own right, more so with the community mods but it has some fundamental flaws with the AI.

Hashmark13
05-24-2006, 01:36 PM

Seems AI is your online complaint.

Play online. Everyone is effected by clouds. Everyone flies on their squad's comms and therefore fly together and help eachother.
Everyone blacks out.

Every god **** plane in the sky is effected by the same things you are. AI is more of a toy to fool with, or just to vent frustration as you watch them explode http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Also, paying for the Pe2 supports Oleg in the development of his next game Storm of War.. you wan't that sim to be better than this one? Support this one, dolt.

horseback
05-24-2006, 03:02 PM
When it comes to complaining about the AI in this sim, I take a back seat to NO ONE.

However, I will note that it has been both better and worse in the past (at least in terms of ai obedience to the flight leader's commands and supernatural performance) and I expect it to get better in the future, with the final 'house-cleaning' patch.

Until then, I advise you to copy and install the game into another folder, and back-patch it to one of the levels where you feel the ai comes closer to meeting your expectations for off-line play.

Or you can always take your ball and go home.

cheers

horseback

Bearcat99
05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
It wouldnt be so bad if my AI wingmen had the same performance... OH WAIT they do..... but they only do it when I am aftert a kill.... hardly ever when I am being persued...LOL I still enjoy though... so WTH..

Col_Tibbetts
05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Dear IL2 Community,

Thank you for participating in my social psychology single-blind experiment. This study is concerned with a phenomenon known as mob mentality. This is when a group of people band together when confronted with an outsider who differs in appearance, opinion or both and mutually focus on the removal or destruction of said outsider. Instead of rational discourse with the dissenting influence the dissenter is met with harsh and sometimes violent action. This stems from a perceived challenge to the identity or integrity of the group. In the Internet world these types of people are known as "fanboys".

Group think satisfies basic psychological security needs. These needs are satiated by membership in the group not unlike herding or schooling behavior exhibited in the animal kingdom. Where humans group together to feel as if they are a part of something accepting in an unwelcoming world, animals herd to feel secure in the face of predators. It is this subconscious security need that is threatened when you all post up to three pages of attacks on a dissenter.

So the next time someone is frustrated with the flaws in this game lend them some advice other than "get out". Please realize that there is a whole world of people outside of your online squads who play offline for a number of reasons. The most recent reason is the current paid add-on upgrades the game to a version that makes online play impossible for those who do not wish to buy it. And yes, when all the good servers have gone to 4.05, those on 4.04 have no desire to play online. Also, there is no crime or moral malice in not wishing to buy the add-on no matter how inexpensive it is. Oleg will live. He will be OK. Your security needs are still intact.

Thank you for your time.

Col_Tibbetts

bazzaah2
05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
oh that's ok then.

Thanks for clarifying.

WWMaxGunz
05-24-2006, 04:45 PM
A group of people .....

met with an outsider who starts by throwing insults .....

then that J-Off is trolling for whatever it can get.

He's ugly and his mom dressed him funny.
He's been seeking validation ever since.

Esel1964
05-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Dear IL2 Community,

Thank you for participating in my social psychology single-blind experiment. This study is concerned with a phenomenon known as mob mentality. This is when a group of people band together when confronted with an outsider who differs in appearance, opinion or both and mutually focus on the removal or destruction of said outsider. Instead of rational discourse with the dissenting influence the dissenter is met with harsh and sometimes violent action. This stems from a perceived challenge to the identity or integrity of the group. In the Internet world these types of people are known as "fanboys".

Group think satisfies basic psychological security needs. These needs are satiated by membership in the group not unlike herding or schooling behavior exhibited in the animal kingdom. Where humans group together to feel as if they are a part of something accepting in an unwelcoming world, animals herd to feel secure in the face of predators. It is this subconscious security need that is threatened when you all post up to three pages of attacks on a dissenter.

So the next time someone is frustrated with the flaws in this game lend them some advice other than "get out". Please realize that there is a whole world of people outside of your online squads who play offline for a number of reasons. The most recent reason is the current paid add-on upgrades the game to a version that makes online play impossible for those who do not wish to buy it. And yes, when all the good servers have gone to 4.05, those on 4.04 have no desire to play online. Also, there is no crime or moral malice in not wishing to buy the add-on no matter how inexpensive it is. Oleg will live. He will be OK. Your security needs are still intact.

Thank you for your time.

Col_Tibbetts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't over-analyze everything.I play the game,and come here because I enjoy it,and I can learn things.I don't come here to feel protected from lions or hyenas,as your assumptions say.

And societal experiment or not,it's still the best sim going.
Never played online-I'm a dial-up loser.

blakduk
05-24-2006, 08:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
ONE command that I would definitely like though is "vector to pack" in the ground control commands. That way I could get the heading to my flight should I get separated and I have no map icons enabled etc.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a really good idea http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
I'm forever getting seperated from my AI companions when the dogfighting gets serious.

The original poster believes the game is not perfect- THEM'S FIGHT'N WORDS http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif
As for calling those who enjoy this game 'fanboys', just check the rest of this forum. People are continually finding fault with details of this sim- some more significant than others.
As time goes by this sims evolve and are surpassed by the next generation of sims. As for the AI in Janes F18 and Falcon 4.0, they were good for their time, but nowhere near the sophistication of Il2. They may have seemed more complex because the flight models were more basic (stalls were virtually impossible and spins didnt happen without a huge effort).
When was the last time you played them?
Could it be the rose-coloured glasses of time have altered your memory?

As a kid i laughed at 'Gilligan's Island'- i should never have borrowed my mate's DVD as it ruined childhood memories http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif
It was not as i remembered!

han freak solo
05-24-2006, 09:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK fanboys, explain why this game is worth your fanatic devotion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IL2 is the sheeet!

Beats playin' this . . .

http://www.lssdigital.com/lwpilot/whatMS.jpg

Old_Canuck
05-24-2006, 10:53 PM
What we learned from this thread: .. mob mentality can be a good thing if it clears out malicious pseudo-intellectuals.

AKA_TAGERT
05-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Dear IL2 Community,

Thank you for your time.

Col_Tibbetts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
someone forgot to take a nap today?

shinden1974
05-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Dear IL2 Community...blahblahblah </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your pathetic thought experiment...in truth you've proven how a paranoid, insecure human being can confuse being argued with, refuted and being laughed at with being hit in the head with rocks and kicked on the street for being 'other'.

It's time for you grow a skin and be prepared to take flak for unpopular opinions as opposed to becoming everyone's surrogate daddy admonishing everybody's behaviour...a popular pastime around here these days.

rnzoli
05-25-2006, 02:00 AM
This stems from a perceived challenge to the identity or integrity of the group. In the Internet world these types of people are known as "fanboys". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was no challenge from your side, except plain insult (with a biased opinion from the start). So if you insult 100 people at the same time, they will all respond negatively at the same time, independently from each other. It surprizes me that you needed this "study" to find this out http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Do does it mean you actually like IL2? That's great.

-HH-Quazi
05-25-2006, 02:22 AM
I read the whole thread up til now and have seen no signs of a "mob" mentality.

There's only devotion here because m8s posting here are not blind.

And he deserves it if only because of his support and rl interaction with this community over the years. Just counting the patches and extra content we have received unexpectedly over the last four years is reason enough.

Shoot, I spend $27 on a bottle of JD that might last me through a weekend from time to time. At least this $18 for 4.05m will last me a lifetime.

MO_JOJO
05-25-2006, 03:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fork-N-spoon:
Perhaps he only visits once and a while to see if things have changed...
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh...what? What year is this, where am I??? Oh wow, is this place still here? I haven't played this game since my last system. Gonna have to give it a try one of these days...been working and working, with no time for play.

Last I recall, this was a fun game. Still haven't installed PF or any of the upgrades since AEP. One of these days....

Good to be back, if only for a few weeks, and then summer fun disrupts the simulated fun.

Megile_
05-25-2006, 03:29 AM
More cowbell!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Cowbell2.gif

carguy_
05-25-2006, 03:48 AM
Well to be true currently I get more frustration from playing this game than fun so I took a break.Although if I get to play with squadmates everything changes.

Sordid_Sinister
05-25-2006, 03:50 AM
Because it's the best WW2 sim there is, plain and simple. Please note that 'best currently available' does not equal 'flawless'.

Esel1964
05-25-2006, 03:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile_:
More cowbell!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Cowbell2.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gotta fevah fa da cowbell!