PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Fighters - Take-off

cabat10
05-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi all. A newbie struggling with carrier take-offs... I follow the steps as outlined in the training vid but my plane almost always goes nose down into the deck before i reach the deck end. This has happened with both USN and RAN aircraft. Any suggestions?

cabat10
05-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi all. A newbie struggling with carrier take-offs... I follow the steps as outlined in the training vid but my plane almost always goes nose down into the deck before i reach the deck end. This has happened with both USN and RAN aircraft. Any suggestions?

VW-IceFire
05-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Sounds like either your holding the brakes or your pushing the stick forward. Let the nose come up on its own but use your rudder to keep you as straight as possible.

WTE_Galway
05-03-2006, 09:10 PM
i am no expert preferring the eastern front planes but i just run up full throttle under brakes while holding stick fully back, use rudder to pint her straight and then release brakes and gradually ease stick forward over a few seconds to let the tail gradually lift

maybe practice with 25% fuel and no ammo until you get the hang of it

Dew-Claw
05-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Add some trim too, not to much but trim to pull the nose up harder then normal.
that'll help.

Freelancer-1
05-03-2006, 09:17 PM
This may be seem obvious but bears mentioning. When learning, it's a lot easier to get off the deck with only 25% fuel and no ammo. As you get the hang of it start adding weight to the plane.

EDIT: Uh, maybe I should read the previous posts before sticking my foot in it.

BTW, Galway, I'm likin' the eastern front too. You red or blue. Maybe hook up on one of our Fri/Sat coops sometime. All eastern front!

Good luck with the take offs, cabat

FunGus1968
05-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Tail wheel should be locked. Flaps at take-off position or even landing position, if you are taking a bomb. Keep chocks in until engine is at maximum power then release. When airborne, only use rudder to keep wings stable/level.

p-11.cAce
05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Second what fungus said - if you come off the ship with a wing low in slow flight pick it up with rudder NOT aileron (unless you want to take a swim) and use those flaps!

badaboom.1
05-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey cabat10,welcome to the UBIZOO!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif are you trying to launchfrom the carrier with a F4U or CORSAIR?If so this aircraft is pretty tough,more so if your fuel/bombs are wieghing you down,The WILDCAT is a pretty good starter plane,You might want to try that first.

R988z
05-05-2006, 06:43 AM
If you are flying the Seafire make sure you engage WEP as well (W key usually). I generally prefer to keep flaps at landing position, especially from a stationary carrier, you need every bit of lift you can get.

gotha_g.IV
05-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Taking off is rather easy, good luck with landing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

WOLFMondo
05-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Setting your take off trim before flight is also very handy. The Corsair training video on zeno's films is a pretty good introduction to the Corsairs trim requirements on take off. That site is a good place to learn.

96th_Nightshifter
05-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Another thing that I haven't noticed being mentioned (though it may have been) is to lock your tail wheel. The Seafire; I don't use the flaps at all for take off, I find they slow me down and I can get more speed off of the end of the deck by keeping them raised.
Sairs, Hellcats etc. take off flaps, lock tail wheel, make sure you have full revs - (sair may get an extra bit of speed by increasing mixture to 120% for take off but rememeber to lower it again to 100% as soon as you are safely in the air). Like already mentioned, try taking off with just 25% fuel at first just to get into it and then increase gradually.