PDA

View Full Version : Flew the Tempest

polak5
10-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Flew the Tempest in the spits vs 109's server today. And boy did I fall in love. Plane seemed easy to fly, for me anywyas. Little crazy on the takeoff if you get to hasty with the trottle.
But anyways, this baby has quite a punch in the guns was quite pleased. And as for the boost, it gives it quite a kick.
Just wasent sure about when to use the supercharger....? I was engaging it around 15,000-20,000 feet.
I hung around the 10,000-20,000feet altitude area. Was quite fun.

Anyone have any tips for this bird. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

polak5
10-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Flew the Tempest in the spits vs 109's server today. And boy did I fall in love. Plane seemed easy to fly, for me anywyas. Little crazy on the takeoff if you get to hasty with the trottle.
But anyways, this baby has quite a punch in the guns was quite pleased. And as for the boost, it gives it quite a kick.
Just wasent sure about when to use the supercharger....? I was engaging it around 15,000-20,000 feet.
I hung around the 10,000-20,000feet altitude area. Was quite fun.

Anyone have any tips for this bird. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

DKoor
10-02-2007, 06:39 PM
That is probably the best allied fighter to fly in late war IL-2 virtual skies in servers like WarClouds and Spits vs 109s. Spitfire, P-51D, P-47D..... they are all good, but have some rather weak points. Tempest, apart from dead rear view, has no weak points.

It's fast as hell, can run away from 109s, can outturn/outmaneuver 190s......has mean cannons - some say one of best armament in game.
I concur.

It's a plane that guarantees you great time online.

Skunk_438RCAF
10-02-2007, 07:03 PM
As a frequent Tempest flyer, I can tell you that its engine likes high power, low rpm settings. It has a HUGE prop at the front, and it needs to bite into alot of air to get the Tempest moving. I flew it on Spits vs 109's once and was doing 280kts in level flight at around 2000m, chasing an Ar-234 heading for home. I was creeping up on him but only managed to get into firing position as he started to slow down to begin his pattern. Those four Hispano's just tore him up to shreds, and that was followed by a "What the?!?" from the 234's pilot in the chat bar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I fly frequently at power/pitch settings of 90/70, 80/60. If you need to get out of a tight spot, go to 100+WEP/70-75. Dont forget to trim your plane, as the more you play with power/pitch your rudder will frequently be out of whack.

I trim the elevator to be slightly nose heavy.

Never turn for long periods of time, it will lose energy fast in a sustained turn. Instantaneous turn is just awesome, if you have a 190 on your tail bank to one side and pull hard on your elevator. They wont be able to follow.

mortoma
10-02-2007, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
That is probably the best allied fighter to fly in late war IL-2 virtual skies in servers like WarClouds and Spits vs 109s. Spitfire, P-51D, P-47D..... they are all good, but have some rather weak points. Tempest, apart from dead rear view, has no weak points.

It's fast as hell, can run away from 109s, can outturn/outmaneuver 190s......has mean cannons - some say one of best armament in game.
I concur.

It's a plane that guarantees you great time online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You forgot about the overheat problem. Boy, is that a problem.

VW-IceFire
10-02-2007, 07:41 PM
The rear view, overheat, and perhaps slightly less structural strength than the American fighters are pretty much the Tempests only downfall. Basically the Tempest was the combination of allot of mistakes that were ironed out in the Typhoon and just designed out in the Tempest. Its not a perfect fighter and it has its issues but its an extremely good plane to fly in the right hands.

Very responsive, top level firepower (the four cannon Hispano Mark V configuration is arguably the most effective all purpose WWII armament option), and quite fast.

Two things to avoid...the Tempest looks like it has an awesome turn but it quickly slows as speed decreases. So keep it fast and use wider turns and tight turns only when necessary. Stalling the Tempest tends to produce a wallowing motion and often will flip you on your back...its nasty but easily recoverable if you don't fight it (if you do then it will fight back). Also a good idea to keep an eye on the slip indicator as the Tempest needs constant rudder trim work to keep it on an even keel.

EDIT: I forgot...Tempest...she's a real gem! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

polak5
10-02-2007, 09:38 PM
I really did not experience the overheat issue at all, granted I was not in wep all the time. I would only use wep for diving attacks and climbing for a bit.

Thx for the tips, Skunk im gona have to try and mess with the pitch and power with this bird as you suggested.

Ice, I agree the 4 hispanos will tear thru a brick building. On one of my sorties today I had 2 109's coming towards me, flying in formation. Spotted them making a left turn and moving from my 12 o'clock to my 10 o'clock (they didint want a head on I guess) and getting closer fast!
First 109 I let him pass by me, I visualized how I would aim and fire at the wingman based on the trajectory of the 109 that had the lead. When the second one came he was going to my left a little above me, I turned and shot him for about half a second (if that) it was such a short burst(since we were flying towards each other). I looked back and saw him smoking and loosing altitude fast, then he went for a swim in the water. I was quite impressed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Im still left with this question though... when should I engage the Supercharger? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

VW-IceFire
10-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Ahh yes the supercharger...around 4000 meters is the best altitude to change it at. Can't remember it in feet. Thats not the actual best altitude to change it in the actual plane but the best calculated out for the games representation (the difference is off by around 500 meters or maybe a bit more).

Another advantage of the Tempest and shooting targets is that your view is very much unobstructed. Compared to a 109, 190, early P-47s, and anything Russian the Tempest offers an amazing forward view with the gunsight projected straight onto the canopy and view over the nose being quite good overall. It makes leading targets very easy. I'd say that in a closed cockpit server thats got to count for maybe half of the total lethality of the aircraft...just in the ability to see and make shots that you otherwise would not be able to make.

Daiichidoku
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
i recently startd flying tempest, last 2 weeks....

WOW

that is one class ride

once i got used to it, i dont even notice overheat anymore, simply not an issue

too bad its not 47/51 league over 20,000

boy, is she thirsty though! i find i msut take 75%, or 50% + DT

VW-IceFire
10-02-2007, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
boy, is she thirsty though! i find i msut take 75%, or 50% + DT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You sure about that? There is one main fuel tank indicator but there's another indicator showing the fuel status in four tanks. I once RTB'ed thinking the engine was about to stop when it turns out that one of my tanks was still full and the two wing tanks still had some in them as well. The Tempest is thirsty but also carries allot of fuel.

Viper2005_
10-03-2007, 01:38 AM
You have to change out of gunsight view to see how much fuel is in the nose tank.

The rear view is the biggest problem with the Tempest. It should be much more like the P-47D (afterall, both "stole" the Typhoon's bubble canopy). I believe that the view point is positioned too far aft, meaning that the armour plate subtends a very large angle despite not actually being all that wide.

Anyway, it is what it is.

My advice to Tempest drivers is to keep checking low 6 every 30 seconds or so because as a 190 driver I most often kill Tempests by sneaking up in their low 6 blindspot...

Although the Tempest can out turn the 190 and run with it, the 190D can defeat the Tempest by using Spitfire tactics and entering a steep spiral climb. Which is rather amusing, since it's the only time I've ever flown a 190 below 260 km/h outside of short final...

Anyway, if the Tempest can't get a solution in the first couple of seconds as you zoom and decelerate, the chances are that it's in trouble. If it tries to stick with the 190 then the 190 will just gain energy and angles. If it tries to climb at Vy then it must disengage or else it will pop out in front...

After a couple of minutes, the 190 will generally have enough energy to roll off the top and re-engage the Tempest, which usually results in either:

A - the Tempest being shot down

B - the Tempest going evasive and losing sufficient energy in the process than the Dora can escape

C - head to head geometry; aka Russian Roulette.

For this reason, when working a Dora, Tempests need to hunt in packs, ideally with something like a Mustang III providing high cover to punish any Doras using the above tactics.

Again speaking as a 190 driver, when I see Tempests & Mustangs working together, I know I'm going to really have to earn my virtual pay...

PS - contrary to popular belief, it is inadvisable for Tempest pilots to engage in headon attacks against 190s because 190's guns are closer together and thus less affected by convergence issues and by asymmetric recoil. All things being equal therefore, the 190 has a greater effective engagement range, despite the superior ballistics of the Hispanos, and will often do better than the Tempest pilot expects. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

whiteladder
10-03-2007, 03:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Im still left with this question though... when should I engage the Supercharger? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This goes for pretty much all the aircraft in the sim... when you need to!

This may seem like a flipant comment but I never try to remember the supercharger settings for all to aircraft, you don`t need to. As long as the aircraft you are flying has a gauge showing mannifold pressure/boost you can see when you need to change.

If you watch this gauge, when you gain altitude the pressure will decrease. If you engage the supercharge you will see the pressure blip back up. You will sonn get a feel for when you need to change gear.

DKoor
10-03-2007, 04:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
You forgot about the overheat problem. Boy, is that a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're right, overheat is the problem, but Tempest in game shouldn't be flown like other rides. Once in overheat, player will have problem to cool down the engine and that is quite big problem in combat.
After I noticed that problem I have successfully countered it by very mild throttle settings while not in combat. When in combat I gain speed first and everything else comes easier then.
It isn't a biggie for me anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
once i got used to it, i dont even notice overheat anymore, simply not an issue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes.....that's true. Since I stopped flying it on 100% WEP I don't have the problem with it.

ploughman
10-03-2007, 04:40 AM
As has been mentioned, the cunnning use of prop pitch really helps with managing the propensity for the Typhoon to overheat and getting good results. Reduce prop pitch in a dive, I tend to go to 70%, increase in a climb to high revs, I cruise at 80% PP, full throttle, no WEP. There's never really a need to go 100%PP.

Fiddle around with engine settings in QMB, pay close attention to the temperature gauges, you'll be really pleased. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Brain32
10-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Newsflash, the insane Tempest overheat was regulated in v407 or v408, anyway it's not bad at all now, I fly it at 90%+WEP with rads closed, one can fly it at 105+WEP rads opened but you are actually slower that way as Tempest has huge drag from radiator.
As for the sustained turn rate, only a dedicated long time exclusive Spitfire flier wouldn't be impressed by it. Basically I'm not too pleased with it, I expected insanely fast pure energy fighter, and we got the slowest possible version with highly "interesting" turn abilities...
It's still my all time favourite Allied WW2 plane together with the Mustang... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

ploughman
10-03-2007, 06:16 AM
As Brain mentioned, forget about the radiator.

Kira1985
10-03-2007, 06:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

You sure about that? There is one main fuel tank indicator but there's another indicator showing the fuel status in four tanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it 3 fuel indicators? There's the huge one and 2 small ones as far as I can tell (didn't RTFM). When the big one is near to "empty" the smaller ones still have around 10~12 gallons each.
And yeah, it's one thirsty mofo! Instead of carrying 50% + external tanks as Daiichidoku says, I thought it was better just to use 100% and spend some of it climbing to 4000~5000m.

As for the supercharger I change it at 2800m. Atleast the gauge indicates 9lbs at that altitude already, and I do notice a bump in speed.

crucislancer
10-03-2007, 08:01 AM
The Tempest is on my 10 ten, for sure. It's enjoyable to fly, fast, powerful. Those with good aim can really rack up the kills in the Tempest. I don't touch the supercharger, I never seem to get high enough to bother with it.

Daiichidoku
10-03-2007, 08:20 AM
the main tank seems to drain only at the same time the wing tanks drain

as Skunk said, use gunsight view, and u will see the nose tank indicator hidden behind the windshield strut...once im feeding off nose tank, i know i have maybe one more engagement, then its time to look for a landing spot
i basically use nose tank as my "bingo"

i have found i need 50~DT/75% minimum...the climb out alone makes a dent

boost differs depending upon the map u are in...again, use gunsight view for a better look at boost gauge....when it drops from approx 3 o clock postion towards 2 oc, u know the boost is tailing off, time to jump to 2nd speed (stage?)
some maps u will change as low as 8200ft, others jsut past 10,000ft

good rudder triim is needed to get the most outta her, but can be a pain, as u will have to re-trim often, for speed, attitude, altitude and PP changes

i tried that PP thing, the 50/100 shuffle....WOW! acceleration is montrous then...dunno if this is the same 50/100 PP thing when we first got tempest....but yowza!

only slightly tricky at first, to read the engine/as indicator etc, to know when ur benefitting, and when it hurts u

sure as shiet a lot of fun (in arcade) to watch a pacing dora (or whatever) on ur 6, then PP'ing it for an instantaneous 20 kph boost, as watch the range counter going backwards http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

my P 38 is now jealous of that British biotch!

Skunk_438RCAF
10-03-2007, 08:27 AM
as Skunk said, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt say that, Viper did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Daiichidoku
10-03-2007, 08:30 AM
just found an article i have written by Roland Beamont on his role in Temepsts

he stated the Tempest V had a max cruise of 345mph! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Daiichidoku
10-03-2007, 08:35 AM
ah yes....I meant Viper, not Skunk

and +1 post count

crucislancer
10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
good rudder triim is needed to get the most outta her, but can be a pain, as u will have to re-trim often, for speed, attitude, altitude and PP changes

i tried that PP thing, the 50/100 shuffle....WOW! acceleration is montrous then...dunno if this is the same 50/100 PP thing when we first got tempest....but yowza!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm constantly trimming the rudder on the Tempest, I think I micro manage that plane more then any other but it's worth it.

50/100? Is that 50 PP/100 throttle or the other way around? I usually do the above with WEP, and hit 480mph in no time, given enough altitude.

I was flying a Dgen mission yesterday in a Tempest, over Normandy. 3 flights of 109s were coming in to bomb my airbase. I let them pass, and then quickly caught up to them just before they started their bomb run. I blew right through the formation at high speed, shooting down 3 of them in the one pass. Most of them dropped their bombs early to avoid me. Lot's of fun.

Skunk_438RCAF
10-03-2007, 08:52 AM
No what Daii is refering to is quickly shifting between 50% and 100% prop pitch. Apparently this makes the Tempest accelerate faster and keep the speed up.

Choctaw111
10-03-2007, 09:29 AM
The Tempest is beautifully done in Il2. I have loved it since it's release. It flies well and has powerful armament. You just have to know how to use it to be effective with it...just like any other plane I guess.

general_kalle
10-03-2007, 09:35 AM
is Mustang mkIII faster than Tempest?

i thought FW190 was faster than Tempest

whats ideal RPM?
Pitch setting?
power setting?
for fast cruising and for dogfight?

crucislancer
10-03-2007, 09:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunk_438RCAF:
No what Daii is refering to is quickly shifting between 50% and 100% prop pitch. Apparently this makes the Tempest accelerate faster and keep the speed up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. I've never heard of that before, I'll have to give it a try.

crucislancer
10-03-2007, 09:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:

whats ideal RPM?
Pitch setting?
power setting?
for fast cruising and for dogfight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check Skunk_438RCAFs post on the first page, he has some good throttle/PP combos that work well. I tend to stay in the 90/70 range while cruising, and vary it when diving or climbing. The Tempest will pickup speed quickly, but it loses speed just as quickly as well.

I can't recall the numbers on the 190, but a Tempest can hit 480mph in a dive. I don't really have too much trouble keeping up with a 190 Anton as long as I manage the engine just right, not sure about the Dora, though.

Skunk_438RCAF
10-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Unless you have a height advantage, the Dora will be a handful. The Dora will outclimb a Tempest, so you have to manage energy well enough to try and stay above it at all times.

VW-IceFire
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:

whats ideal RPM?
Pitch setting?
power setting?
for fast cruising and for dogfight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mustang Mark III is pretty much faster than everything http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Well its definitely faster than the Tempest V +9lb at any rate.

Ideal RPM I think is just under 30k and generally speaking WEP + a prop pitch of 70 will produce a very nice cruise speed. You'll want to ramp that pitch up in combat or when needed. Watch out for FW190D-9s as they are amongst the most dangerous opponents you can face.

@Viper: Bingo man...you've hit the nail on the head! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif