PDA

View Full Version : P-51 Rolling - help

sixmillion10
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
When I fly the P-51 it tends to keep rolling to the left and I have to keep constant pressure on the stick to keep it flying level. It seems the faster I go the more it rolls left. Is there a way to keep the wings level without constant right pressure on the stick ?

sixmillion10
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
When I fly the P-51 it tends to keep rolling to the left and I have to keep constant pressure on the stick to keep it flying level. It seems the faster I go the more it rolls left. Is there a way to keep the wings level without constant right pressure on the stick ?

Jaws2002
06-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Rudder trim. The mustang really needs constant triming.

berg417448
06-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Bud Anderson on trimming the Mustang:

"A lot of this is just instinct now. Things are happening too fast to think everything out. You steer with your right hand and feet. The right hand also triggers the guns. With your left, you work the throttle, and keep the airplane in trim, which is easier to do than describe.

Any airplane with a single propeller produces torque. The more horsepower you have, the more the prop will pull you off to one side. The Mustangs I flew used a 12-cylinder Packard Merlin engine that displaced 1,649 cubic inches. That is 10 times the size of the engine that powers an Indy car. It developed power enough that you never applied full power sitting still on the ground because it would pull the plane's tail up off the runway and the propeller would chew up the concrete. With so much power, you were continually making minor adjustments on the controls to keep the Mustang and its wing-mounted guns pointed straight.

There were three little palm-sized wheels you had to keep fiddling with. They trimmed you up for hands-off level flight. One was for the little trim tab on the tail's rudder, the vertical slab which moves the plane left or right. Another adjusted the tab on the tail's horizontal elevators that raise or lower the nose and help reduce the force you had to apply for hard turning. The third was for aileron trim, to keep your wings level, although you didn't have to fuss much with that one. Your left hand was down there a lot if you were changing speeds, as in combat . . . while at the same time you were making minor adjustments with your feet on the rudder pedals and your hand on the stick. At first it was awkward. But, with experience, it was something you did without thinking, like driving a car and twirling the radio dial.

It's a little unnerving to think about how many things you have to deal with all at once to fly combat."

http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/anderson/anderson.htm

Skycat_2
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
The P-51 is one of the few planes in the game that has trim control for all three axes. Aeleron trim--the rarest control among all the planes in IL-2--is available in the Mustang and it will fix you right up.

This thread may help you understand what we're talking about. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=6511001395&r=1801021395#1801021395)

M_Gunz
06-11-2008, 10:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sixmillion10:
When I fly the P-51 it tends to keep rolling to the left and I have to keep constant pressure on the stick to keep it flying level. It seems the faster I go the more it rolls left. Is there a way to keep the wings level without constant right pressure on the stick ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The big part is about using rudder instead of side-stick. How do ya know what to use? Look at
the ball in the smiley-track on the instrument panel, also the one under the gun sight. If the
ball ain't in the middle then push rudder on the side the ball is off center. The ball does
have some delay too. When you get real slow use the rudder instead of side stick to keep your
wings level and you can avoid going into a spin.

Tully__
06-12-2008, 04:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
The P-51 is one of the few planes in the game that has trim control for all three axes. Aeleron trim--the rarest control among all the planes in IL-2--is available in the Mustang and it will fix you right up.

This thread may help you understand what we're talking about. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=6511001395&r=1801021395#1801021395) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It'll seem to fix you right up but you hardly need it if you trim the rudder first (as is correct procedure).

Wildnoob
06-12-2008, 07:16 AM
* I already posted this many times, but can't loose the oportunity to post it again.

I was a very happy boy flying with my X52 joystick. despite that I never manage to set the variometer of any aircraft neutral, I was happy with my fligths.

torque ?

oh, yep, torque. well, making some pressure to the rigth while holding the stick was enough to counter any torque. I've flow with all aicraft of the sim WITHOUT need to adjust rudder trim. and logic, the slip ball was always centered. and yes, I just flow with torque activeted.

then, in a day all aircraft started to pull to the sides (I'm not with IL2 rigth now, don't remember the side) exactly like sixmillion10 reported. I don't understand very well him, but with me making pressure didn't help nothing. all aircraft remain pulling to one side.

my first impression was ok, have to be something with the jostick, this cannot be happeny before and just now I figure out. I open a topic about this here on the forums, many members give me many, many attention and try help me, but unfortnatly I couldn't solve the problem.

I turned the torque off in the difficult options, and belive folks, it looks even worse then before. but, I already hear that after a determined patch some kind of bug appear, preventing the torque from really being turned off. I just can't confirm if it's in facth truth. even the member who tell me this couldn't confirm.

most strange, is that aircraft wich don't in fact have torque, behavior almost without any of the cited problem. the P-38 for example, it pulls to one side as well, but take's far more time to fall one degree.

I are very confuse about this. migth be the joystick ? my first one was a very cheap Genius one. I had the problem with him, but after buying a ST290 the problem was solved.

the fact is I PERFECLY REMEMBER of flying without this problem before. I remember, this was not happeny, it began to happen.

this is torque and I just discovery now ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I don't want be a flat asking this many times, but if someone have any ideas.

Wildnoob
06-12-2008, 08:11 AM
I was thinking now, if I buy a pair of pedals and maintein then press to the oposite side of wat should be the torque, the problem would be get solved, isn't ?

FoolTrottel
06-12-2008, 08:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just can't confirm if it's in facth truth. even the member who tell me this couldn't confirm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That was me. In an earlier reply in some other thread I already confirmed that I was wrong... Switching Torque off in difficulty options does turn off torque when flying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my first one was a very cheap Genius one. I had the problem with him, but after buying a ST290 the problem was solved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So, in the end it was due to a faulty stick?

Adding rudder pedals to your setup will not make up for a faulty stick... You should use trim to compensate torque...

Wildnoob
06-12-2008, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
That was me. In an earlier reply in some other thread I already confirmed that I was wrong... Switching Torque off in difficulty options does turn off torque when flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

I think I manage to advance a little in my investigation of this strange problem.

have to be the stick, almost without doubth.

guys, I don't want take your time, but if you could reply a question in few words I would be glad.

you have problems to fly aircraft without rudder trim ?

flying airacraft wich in fact don't have rudder trim, like the BF-109 for example.

M_Gunz
06-12-2008, 04:01 PM
If you are flying with the ball centered then changing the rudder will put you in slip.

You might want to neutralize all trims and then re-trim from known neutral.

DKoor
06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
You might want to neutralize all trims and then re-trim from known neutral. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Might be the best thing in many situations.