PDA

View Full Version : UbiSoft Claims "Realistic"

VBF-83_Hawk
01-13-2005, 10:04 PM
<---Decides to go fishing

Just saw a comercial on TV about one of Ubi's ground combat games. They claim it is very "REALISTIC".

VBF-83_Hawk
01-13-2005, 10:04 PM
&lt;---Decides to go fishing

Just saw a comercial on TV about one of Ubi's ground combat games. They claim it is very "REALISTIC".

crazyivan1970
01-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Fishing is no good for you, be sure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

MO_JOJO
01-13-2005, 10:38 PM
I know a lot has been said about realism in the forums, and I don't think much has been left out, but I have been reading "The Cactus Air Force" by Thomas Miller and came across the following, which I found interesting.

(comments regarding the PILOTS' living conditions at Henderson Field, Guadalcanal, Sep. 1942)
"Food, such as there was, was prepared over open fires. The basic ingredients of meals were canned hash, Spam, sausage, captured Japanese rice, and dreadful dehydrated potatoes. Every effort was made to give the pilots 3 meals a day, but sometimes there wasn't enough food and sometimes they didn't have the time to eat. Sometimes the pilots got so hungry the would kill one of the stray cows that would wander about the perimeter. This was unsafe from the viewpoint of food sanitation, but it was better than cold Spam and potatoes. Such a diet generated gas during digestion; at the reduced atmospheric pressure of high altitudes, this caused the pilots excruciating stomach cramps. Liquor-an after-battle necessity for most combat pilots - was nonexistent, except for the flight surgeons' emergency supplies. Cigarettes were whatever had been left by the Japanese.

Air combat is a relentless consumer of nervous energy. The physical fatigue of one or two flights aday, the hot climate, the poor diet, the emotional stress of frequent air combat, and above all, the inability to sleep (from nightly Japanese bombings and infantry skirmishes) made nervous wrecks of the flight crews. Never before had flyers been forced to live under conditions approximating those of front-line infantry and fly combat, too. The infantryman can seek shelter in foxholes and find solace in the physical presence of others. The pilot can find no such surcrease. He is alone - dreadfully alone-when he flies, and his battles are affairs of singling out individuals for death and being singled out himself. Thirty days was about the maximum permissable combat tour for pilots on Guadalcanal."

I don't want to beat a dead horse. I just found the above to be fascinating in the respect that I've assumed all pilots lived the typical flyboy lifestyle that the common soldier despised, yet secretly desired. The Cactus Air Force earned the love and respect of the Marines and other servicemen on Guadalcanal because they were in the shiite like everyone else. This is a great book, and while hard to find, worth the read if you can find a copy.

BBB_Hyperion
01-13-2005, 11:58 PM
realism is a universe in its own.

knightgames_01
01-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for sharing that MO JOJO.

It does sound like a great read. And yes a completly different take on a common viewpoint of pilot conditions.

Hollywood does glamourize don't it?

regards,
Robert

Once you go Track...you never go back.

MO_JOJO
01-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Please, just call me Mo.

I wish I could share this book with the community.

SeminoleX
01-14-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm willing to cut UbiSoft or any other publisher a great deal of slack when they make combat realism claims.

I'm very realistic myself in my expectations of just what can be delivered with any computer sim.

I suppose there is some guy somewhere who would describe his relationship with his inflatable love doll as a very realistic romance.

Capt._Tenneal
01-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Well, just like in any military in any nation throught history, I see here a lot of whining by the peons (us) against the higher ups (UBI, Oleg).

So I say it's extremely realistic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

madsarmy
01-14-2005, 09:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeminoleX:
I suppose there is some guy somewhere who would describe his relationship with his inflatable love doll as a _very realistic_ romance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! I Never talk about Helga as though she is realhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif