PDA

View Full Version : japanse gun sight / trimming / turning jumping

f.ip2
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
hi guys

Japanese Gun Sights:

when i jump in a japanese plane the gun sight has those metallic rings which rotate 90 away from the gun sight when i start the game. i was looking thought the key bindings but did not find any clue what that could be.

any body has an idea?

Trimming

ok i read quite some amount about trimming to keep the plane flying straight / i applied it to the throttle level on my saitec. do you guys adjust the trimming all the time in flight to your airspeed?

Turning Jumping:

I flew few rounds with the FW190 today to do some bomber hunting and gunnery training. A thing I find very difficult is when I turn and pull back the level and than center it the planes is quite jumpy. From jets I am more used to a streamline / smooth flow. When I use the rudder it is the same. The plane swings a lot.

Is this quite normal to those planes? I never flew one and thus cannot know from reality.

f.ip2
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
hi guys

Japanese Gun Sights:

when i jump in a japanese plane the gun sight has those metallic rings which rotate 90 away from the gun sight when i start the game. i was looking thought the key bindings but did not find any clue what that could be.

any body has an idea?

Trimming

ok i read quite some amount about trimming to keep the plane flying straight / i applied it to the throttle level on my saitec. do you guys adjust the trimming all the time in flight to your airspeed?

Turning Jumping:

I flew few rounds with the FW190 today to do some bomber hunting and gunnery training. A thing I find very difficult is when I turn and pull back the level and than center it the planes is quite jumpy. From jets I am more used to a streamline / smooth flow. When I use the rudder it is the same. The plane swings a lot.

Is this quite normal to those planes? I never flew one and thus cannot know from reality.

berg417448
08-07-2007, 10:53 PM
That is a backup gunsight in the Japanese plane. There is no control for it.

As far as trim...I do it constantly. Some real pilots did it as well:

From Bud Anderson:

"A lot of this is just instinct now. Things are happening too fast to think everything out. You steer with your right hand and feet. The right hand also triggers the guns. With your left, you work the throttle, and keep the airplane in trim, which is easier to do than describe.

Any airplane with a single propeller produces torque. The more horsepower you have, the more the prop will pull you off to one side. The Mustangs I flew used a 12-cylinder Packard Merlin engine that displaced 1,649 cubic inches. That is 10 times the size of the engine that powers an Indy car. It developed power enough that you never applied full power sitting still on the ground because it would pull the plane's tail up off the runway and the propeller would chew up the concrete. With so much power, you were continually making minor adjustments on the controls to keep the Mustang and its wing-mounted guns pointed straight.

There were three little palm-sized wheels you had to keep fiddling with. They trimmed you up for hands-off level flight. One was for the little trim tab on the tail's rudder, the vertical slab which moves the plane left or right. Another adjusted the tab on the tail's horizontal elevators that raise or lower the nose and help reduce the force you had to apply for hard turning. The third was for aileron trim, to keep your wings level, although you didn't have to fuss much with that one. Your left hand was down there a lot if you were changing speeds, as in combat . . . while at the same time you were making minor adjustments with your feet on the rudder pedals and your hand on the stick. At first it was awkward. But, with experience, it was something you did without thinking, like driving a car and twirling the radio dial.

It's a little unnerving to think about how many things you have to deal with all at once to fly combat."

MrMojok
08-07-2007, 10:58 PM
And to think some people say you have to trim the P-51 too much ingame.

NeuralTech
08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Does this in turn mean that EVERY single plane in this game is prone to turning to a side by itself when the stick is completely centered and all surface controls are neutralized?????

Lets say we turn the 'torque/gyro fx & wind/turb fx' OFF.....

Will the above still stay true for straight and level flight? It is my understanding that with those two options turned OFF, the plane should fly perfectly level with the stick dead center and all control surfaces neutralized FOREVER if one wanted... all without ever having to adjust anything...

With those options turned back ON, I would imagine that keeping the plane level in flight would take minor adjustments from time to time (rudder/aileron/elevator trims wise).

I'm trying to figure out why my plane still won't fly straight and level with those two options turned OFF. Shouldn't?

thks,

Chr*s

MrMojok
08-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Turning torque and gyro effects off doesn't seem to completely eliminate them, it just lessens the effect a little.

csthopper
08-09-2007, 08:26 AM
The jumping effect is caused by the sudden burst of lift your wings generate when you level out. It definitely a realistic effect and something they teach you while becoming a pilot.

You are right that a fighter jet wouldn't produce the same effects (at least to that extreme) because their wings are much smaller and don't generate as much lift as an old prop planes.

Once you are aware of it and can predict it then you can learn the skills to counter it.

f.ip2
08-09-2007, 12:31 PM
hey csthopper

i was watching quite some gun cam movies on youtube and i noticed that some flew very gentle
and some had the same jiggle trouble.

to bad there are not so many gun cam videos and not so many with also good quality.

i loved one which seems to be in good condition until i noticed those were wrong clouds, lol it was an Il 2 movie.

i assume i should lower the rudder sensitivity.
but ah where can i do that??? i only found yap pitch and roll

berg417448
08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Yaw is the rudder.

csthopper
08-09-2007, 01:21 PM
haha, ya i don't think they were posting youtube videos back in 1943..jk :-)

There is one other factor that will make sim flying seem jumpier then what you see in real life videos. That factor would be the absence of your 6th sense, or the ability to feel the plane inertia.

Pilots will tell you that its a lot easier to predict how a plane gonna react when you can actually feel the lift and thrust. That absence of this sense in flight sims can cause you to get pretty jumpy while attempting to neutralize the plane. Something you just get better with as you play on.

One more note, if you use a joystick with a twisting Z-axis on your main shaft for the rudder, then you need to make sure you're not twisting the stick by accident while making your turns. I use to be bad about that and it would cause the plane to jump and yaw.

berg417448
08-09-2007, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by csthopper:

One more note, if you use a joystick with a twisting Z-axis on your main shaft for the rudder, then you need to make sure you're not twisting the stick by accident while making your turns. I use to be bad about that and it would cause the plane to jump and yaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely! I still find myself doing that on occasion.

f.ip2
08-09-2007, 02:27 PM
i love that head shake in the game but I think it should be stronger in hard rolls

f.ip2
08-09-2007, 02:39 PM
wow online play is very different than fighting AI planes

csthopper
08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
You know, i really haven't notice the head shake, I'll have to pay attention for it. You could always just shake your own head if you want more realism

f.ip2
08-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Ok I am gonna do it now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe36UMRkRbk

here is a compilation of few gun cams and some show some strong shaking.