PDA

View Full Version : Terrible pilot seeks wingman to train with (sounds like a bad singles ad :-p )

SithSpeeder
08-22-2006, 10:22 AM
I am an avid student of fighter tactics, but have rarely had the opportunity to train with someone who has read these sources and really wants to practice them. My stick time is minimal, unfortunately (re: Real Life), but I've been flying CFS2 and 3 and now IL2:FB for many years now.

I have read Shaw's Fighter Combat book several times, flying books like Stick and Rudder. More recently, I have read No Guts, No Glory (found at SimHQ ( http://www.simhq.com/_air/PDF/NGNG.pdf , which I highly recommend) as well as the Comms Brevity Code ( http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_008a.html ). I have a lot more to learn, but I also need to practice. So for the scant couple of hours I get every week to fly, I want to make the most of it. I would love to really work the different sections of these sources and see how far it can take us.

So obviously, I'm looking for someone who has a similar availability schedule as mine and doesn't mind flying with a **** pilot who tries really hard. Maybe twice a week for an hour at a time with a 15 minute preflight to develop goals and tactics for the coming flight time. Since I'm in Arizona, USA, we don't practice daylight savings time and I'm currently on Pacific Time (UTC/GMT -7). But because I work from home, I am able to fly during the day (between 9am and 2pm most weekdays) as well as after 9:30pm most nights. Unfortunately, I only speak English (but I can order food in Chinese and curse a bit in French http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

I have a strong preference for closed cockpit, but would do open because that is where most of the regular 54th of my squad like to fly. I use TrackIR2, a HOTAS stick with rudder pedals, a USB headphone/mic combo with Teamspeak2 or Ventrilo, and have a high speed connection that is pretty reliable. Dogfights or Co-Ops are great.

I just really enjoy teamwork because I firmly believe that you can accomplish great things and I love to compete. And after reading all these sources of how it is REALLY done, I'm chomping at the bit to really try it.

I get almost as excited about planning something as I do pulling it off.

My planeset experience (in order) is mostly:

P-51D (sometimes Mark III)
P-38L (ground pounding)
Spit IX
P-47D (1944)
Yak-3

...but I am game for anything. I just don't want to spend too much time fiddling with controls, but more working the tactics and the comms so I tend towards the "easier" planes to fly. Keeping with advice of real fighter pilots, I also tend towards those planes with the best visibility (spit IX being the notable exception, although it is not bad).

* _54th_Speeder *

I love combat. I hate war.
I don't understand it, but that's the way it is.
--Gen. Chuck Horner, USAF, ret.

SithSpeeder
08-22-2006, 10:22 AM
I am an avid student of fighter tactics, but have rarely had the opportunity to train with someone who has read these sources and really wants to practice them. My stick time is minimal, unfortunately (re: Real Life), but I've been flying CFS2 and 3 and now IL2:FB for many years now.

I have read Shaw's Fighter Combat book several times, flying books like Stick and Rudder. More recently, I have read No Guts, No Glory (found at SimHQ ( http://www.simhq.com/_air/PDF/NGNG.pdf , which I highly recommend) as well as the Comms Brevity Code ( http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_008a.html ). I have a lot more to learn, but I also need to practice. So for the scant couple of hours I get every week to fly, I want to make the most of it. I would love to really work the different sections of these sources and see how far it can take us.

So obviously, I'm looking for someone who has a similar availability schedule as mine and doesn't mind flying with a **** pilot who tries really hard. Maybe twice a week for an hour at a time with a 15 minute preflight to develop goals and tactics for the coming flight time. Since I'm in Arizona, USA, we don't practice daylight savings time and I'm currently on Pacific Time (UTC/GMT -7). But because I work from home, I am able to fly during the day (between 9am and 2pm most weekdays) as well as after 9:30pm most nights. Unfortunately, I only speak English (but I can order food in Chinese and curse a bit in French http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

I have a strong preference for closed cockpit, but would do open because that is where most of the regular 54th of my squad like to fly. I use TrackIR2, a HOTAS stick with rudder pedals, a USB headphone/mic combo with Teamspeak2 or Ventrilo, and have a high speed connection that is pretty reliable. Dogfights or Co-Ops are great.

I just really enjoy teamwork because I firmly believe that you can accomplish great things and I love to compete. And after reading all these sources of how it is REALLY done, I'm chomping at the bit to really try it.

I get almost as excited about planning something as I do pulling it off.

My planeset experience (in order) is mostly:

P-51D (sometimes Mark III)
P-38L (ground pounding)
Spit IX
P-47D (1944)
Yak-3

...but I am game for anything. I just don't want to spend too much time fiddling with controls, but more working the tactics and the comms so I tend towards the "easier" planes to fly. Keeping with advice of real fighter pilots, I also tend towards those planes with the best visibility (spit IX being the notable exception, although it is not bad).

* _54th_Speeder *

I love combat. I hate war.
I don't understand it, but that's the way it is.
--Gen. Chuck Horner, USAF, ret.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-22-2006, 10:54 AM
I'll fly with you Sith. My flying time is typically limited to Wednesday and Sunday eves EST (unless there's a fresh patch or add-on of course) . Usually after 8p, I'm on until I've had enough...usually 12a-1a.

I fly in Winds of War, Spits-vs-109's, Zekes-vs-Wildcats, WarClouds, Historia. That's about it. I'm usually on with some friends and even if we don't use the public coms for the server we're on (which I highly recommend) then we're on our own channel. No formal squad stuff though most are a part of one squad or another.

A few sessions and we'll have you just as ruined as we are.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll pm some info to you.

TB

SithSpeeder
08-22-2006, 11:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Usually after 8p, I'm on until I've had enough...usually 12a-1a. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, therein lies the rub. 9:30pm my (start) time is 12:30am your time (which is when you quit). I just can't get on earlier than that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Thanks for the reply, anyways.

* _54th_Speeder *

"At first I thought you committed me to an impossible deadline. But I have a theoretical solution. It involves flying around the earth so fast that I travel back to the past."
"And then you'll have enough time?"
"No, then I'll give your parents this pamphlet on contraception."
-- Dilbert & The Pointy-Haired Boss again

Diablo310th
08-22-2006, 11:05 AM
sith...I'll fly with you too. Like T_Bolt my time is limited to weekdays from about 3:30 to 5:30 pm EST and Wed. I fly mainly on WarClouds but have flown Zekes/Spits and Historia. I like the idea of training with a wingman like that. If T-Bolt isn't available let me know and I'll fly. I will say T-Bolt is far better than I am.

SithSpeeder
08-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Diablo...check PMs!

Thanks.

* _54th_Speeder *

"Yes, we have a high Kill Ratio. I only wish it was in our favor."
-Gerfel

Xiolablu3
08-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Sith, PMing you now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Somebody give that brother a hookup...

BrotherVoodoo
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I am in the same boat as Sith. I have been a happy IL'er for about 5 years mostly offline and with a budd of mine online. I just upgraded to 4.05 cause I wanted to start playing the full real servers but I am a online noob and feel a little intimidated. I have no team com experience and want to join on the TS channels (I am all set up with the client ready to go). Do I ask permission to join a channel in the game or just join in and announce myself. I am unsure of the protocols. Thanks so much!

SithSpeeder
08-22-2006, 02:26 PM
No, you just join right in and have fun. Ask for help. Anyone worth their salt will help you and answer your questions. Don't babble and clog the channel, but as long as you are trying your best to help out, it's a very forgiving community.

Now quit hijacking my thread! (Unless you want to wing up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

* _54th_Speeder *

BrotherVoodoo
08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks a bunch Sith, I do feel less nervous now and will take your advise and jump in! Did not mean to hijack by anymeans bro. I'll keep an eye out for you on the servers. Winging up sounds fun sometime... though you might be showing me more than I would be showing you. hehe.

MOH_Apollo
08-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Hej bud..You are always welcome to fly with any of us in MOH..We have flown together before. Many of us like the mutual support doctrine and we constantly strive to become better. I game as always.

Apollo

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Just hop into the common com channel. If you want to get some 1 on 1 wingman flying and coms direction I'll join a seperate channel with any of you (if you'd like) and do some 2 plane element sorties.

Just listening in on the com channels can be both beneficial AND detrimental as there are typically three or four different conversations/fights going on at any given time. Until you get used to gleaning what is relevant, you may want to just listen or join with an experienced pilot on a seperate channel.

TB

gates123
08-23-2006, 12:42 PM
TB's got your 6....and mine too

Crash_Moses
08-23-2006, 02:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrotherVoodoo:
I am in the same boat as Sith. I have been a happy IL'er for about 5 years mostly offline and with a budd of mine online. I just upgraded to 4.05 cause I wanted to start playing the full real servers but I am a online noob and feel a little intimidated. I have no team com experience and want to join on the TS channels (I am all set up with the client ready to go). Do I ask permission to join a channel in the game or just join in and announce myself. I am unsure of the protocols. Thanks so much! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just join in! Island hop on over to PacificConflict on Hyperlobby. Plenty of pilots willing to answer questions...

S!