PDA

View Full Version : What does the AI aim at?

Philipscdrw
01-30-2006, 02:32 PM
If you fly the same way against enemy gunners they always seem to hit the same components. Crawling up behind bombers in the Beaufighter or Bf-110 regularly gets the gunsight destroyed. (Of course I should change tactics and make faster attacks from higher altitude but I'm not always so disciplined!) I think I might know the reason for this.

I was watching two AI Bf-109E4s attack a B-17D. They would fly above the bomber, dive down, and fire their machine-guns (they'd run out of cannon-shell). One pass they'd aim at the wing-root, another pass they'd aim at the outer wing, I think they'd aim at the engines too sometimes. It looked like there were specific spots that the AI would choose to aim at.

They were always missing in exactly the same way, too. Diving down from above, they would never give enough deflection, and the first 75% of their pass would miss and go behind the wing. Only about six rounds would strike each time. And I notice that when an (AI) aircraft is turning, an AI aircraft shooting at it will never give quite enough deflection, and the shots always miss by passing a precise distance behind the aircraft.

AA-guns shooting at collapsed parachutes also underestimate their deflection, so perhaps it's a universal feature of the Il-2 AI?

I wonder, could the AI be made to make more accurate deflection calculations, to which is added a random change depending on the skill level of the AI? If I'm flying across the sights of an AI, it will be fairly accurate across my direction of travel, it will be trying to aim exactly accurately on to me, but it will get its calculations wrong by a random factor and either add too much or too little deflection. It would be a bit more organic, a bit more immersive than watching the AI miss by an exact precise amount every single time!

Philipscdrw
01-30-2006, 02:32 PM
If you fly the same way against enemy gunners they always seem to hit the same components. Crawling up behind bombers in the Beaufighter or Bf-110 regularly gets the gunsight destroyed. (Of course I should change tactics and make faster attacks from higher altitude but I'm not always so disciplined!) I think I might know the reason for this.

I was watching two AI Bf-109E4s attack a B-17D. They would fly above the bomber, dive down, and fire their machine-guns (they'd run out of cannon-shell). One pass they'd aim at the wing-root, another pass they'd aim at the outer wing, I think they'd aim at the engines too sometimes. It looked like there were specific spots that the AI would choose to aim at.

They were always missing in exactly the same way, too. Diving down from above, they would never give enough deflection, and the first 75% of their pass would miss and go behind the wing. Only about six rounds would strike each time. And I notice that when an (AI) aircraft is turning, an AI aircraft shooting at it will never give quite enough deflection, and the shots always miss by passing a precise distance behind the aircraft.

AA-guns shooting at collapsed parachutes also underestimate their deflection, so perhaps it's a universal feature of the Il-2 AI?

I wonder, could the AI be made to make more accurate deflection calculations, to which is added a random change depending on the skill level of the AI? If I'm flying across the sights of an AI, it will be fairly accurate across my direction of travel, it will be trying to aim exactly accurately on to me, but it will get its calculations wrong by a random factor and either add too much or too little deflection. It would be a bit more organic, a bit more immersive than watching the AI miss by an exact precise amount every single time!

Waldo.Pepper
01-30-2006, 03:57 PM
The soft part on the back of my head just above my spine.

BfHeFwMe
01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
They place the sight on center mass. Why you get drilled in the nose and cockpit by a tail gunner while your engines and wings don't get a scratch.

The IA does the same in fighters, put the aim point directly on the models center cooridantes and hammer away. Exactly why they can't hit it in deflections, no lead so it fails, unless they're in an I-16 class turner that has laser like gun trajectories and keeps the nose on target turning close in.

Philipscdrw
01-31-2006, 09:56 AM
No they don't, at least they don't always. I just said I saw AI Bf-109s making several tens of attacks on a B-17D, and they were firing at precise and different points along the wings. One p*** they might fire at the outer wing, the next p*** they aim at the wing-root.

But they can't calculate deflection correctly, or can't aim the aircraft at the right place, because most of their shots were missing.