PDA

View Full Version : So today, I tried something new...

GAOStarr
01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
and it worked much better than I had hoped.

I NEVER rely on whispers because I never even noticed they were there until I read about them on the forums.

However, I went into Options and General, turned my SFX Volume down to 3, turned my Voice Volume down to 3, and made sure my Music Volume was up to 10.

Now the whispers were so loud and overpowering that I couldn't even pretend to ignore them.

And then I equipped Long Lasting Firecrackers. lol

Whenever the Whispers got loud enough to tell me that my pursuer(s) was near by, I would drop Firecrackers. Obviously, all of the NPCs cowered, my pursuer stuck out, and they were too blind to do anything.

I never thought to combine Whispers and Firecrackers for defensive purposes before, but it work just as well as Smoke Bombs.

I was pretty pleased.

GAOStarr
01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
and it worked much better than I had hoped.

I NEVER rely on whispers because I never even noticed they were there until I read about them on the forums.

However, I went into Options and General, turned my SFX Volume down to 3, turned my Voice Volume down to 3, and made sure my Music Volume was up to 10.

Now the whispers were so loud and overpowering that I couldn't even pretend to ignore them.

And then I equipped Long Lasting Firecrackers. lol

Whenever the Whispers got loud enough to tell me that my pursuer(s) was near by, I would drop Firecrackers. Obviously, all of the NPCs cowered, my pursuer stuck out, and they were too blind to do anything.

I never thought to combine Whispers and Firecrackers for defensive purposes before, but it work just as well as Smoke Bombs.

I was pretty pleased.

DeanOMiite
01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
and they reload a helluva lot faster. LOVE firecrackers!

robinzx
01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
I've been trying to do the same and lowered SFX and Voice to 5, but have still been struggling to hear the whispers. Do you need a headset to hear it?

GAOStarr
01-16-2011, 08:36 PM
@DeanOMiite, yes, they do load SOOO MUCH faster! It's very nice.

@robinzx Everyone on the forums says that headphones make a huge difference and make it much easier to hear the whispers. Since I'm not using headphones, I just turn the volume up fairly load. If everything down to 2-3 except for music, you can turn your volume up pretty load without it really being... loud. When voice is down, that annoying lady won't yell "Searching for a programmed session."

E-Zekiel
01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
I really have no issues hearing them with my TV speakers, I think maybe it's a matter of knowing what to listen for or something and getting headphones helps with the mentality, maybe.

Keep in mind that a really stealthy pursuer (IE one staying hidden) will have extremely quiet and/or no whispers at all until it's too late.

Soviet_Mudkip
01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
I use Turtlebeaches X41's and their noticable. Sometimes I have trouble hearing the whisper's when they're low but other than that if I'm paying attention I can hear them.

papartusedmcrsk
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
I never heard them until after I was level 50.

That being said, now that I do hear them, with the SFX and Music and all that not being touched(aka default), and my TV volume on 18, I can't NOT hear the whispers.

They help me. Alot. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DeafAtheist
01-17-2011, 07:37 PM
I hate the friggin' whispers. I wish Ubisoft would get rid of them. As a deaf gamer I'm at a disadvantage and can't use them and even being stealthy I'm often surprised and stunned by a target who is obviously relying on them because they wouldn't have known that I was on them otherwise. If I can come in in a podium finish as a deaf gamer in nearly every game I play without them then everyone else should be able to as well.

najzere
01-17-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a lot of respect for you placing well without hearing the whispers. I remember how much harder it was getting stuns before I noticed them.

Game accessibility is a pet peeve of mine, because the technology is advanced enough to overcome those sorts of limitations. AC:B actually makes a lot of use of auditory signals, so you're at a severe disadvantage. I can't imagine it would be too hard to add a visual equivalent for the whispers, as amplitude and frequency visualizations have been around for ages.

ninja_7_7
01-17-2011, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafAtheist:
I hate the friggin' whispers. I wish Ubisoft would get rid of them. As a deaf gamer I'm at a disadvantage and can't use them and even being stealthy I'm often surprised and stunned by a target who is obviously relying on them because they wouldn't have known that I was on them otherwise. If I can come in in a podium finish as a deaf gamer in nearly every game I play without them then everyone else should be able to as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am with you. Not the deaf part but I always plays games on mute. I always have to watching 2 things at once when I play a game. Ill play with ACB on mute and watch a movie. I still come up with podium a 100% of the time.

tastemyfreedom
01-17-2011, 09:46 PM
I find it more difficult to play with the whispers. It can get complicated. I don't necessarily want to worry about a person that can see me on the other side of the market or so. I usually just listen to the radio.

DeafAtheist
01-17-2011, 09:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by najzere:
I have a lot of respect for you placing well without hearing the whispers. I remember how much harder it was getting stuns before I noticed them.

Game accessibility is a pet peeve of mine, because the technology is advanced enough to overcome those sorts of limitations. AC:B actually makes a lot of use of auditory signals, so you're at a severe disadvantage. I can't imagine it would be too hard to add a visual equivalent for the whispers, as amplitude and frequency visualizations have been around for ages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. It comes from stealth play. I rarely ever get a kill for less than 300 pts. Usually only happens if I get so frustrated with trying to flank a runner or a roofer that I just run them down when I'm close enough to catch them. But I usually just slow them down with long lasting throwing knives. I just love making a roofer who is in the process of scaling a wall fall to my feet for an easy incognito kill.

As for visual cues for the whispering I would probably prefer a vibration... like as whispering gets louder a vibration would start subtle, barely noticeable and gradually get stronger as they get closer. If I had that I would feel on equal footing with other gamers that have normal hearing.

I was playing last week with another deaf gamer and the 2 of us were placing podiums in nearly every game. It was sweet.

obliviondoll
01-17-2011, 10:18 PM
If you're relatively cautious and always watching for pursuers, the whispers don't make a hug difference, honestly.

I got to 50 playing reasonably well without being able to pick them, and now that I've learnt what they sound like, they don't really alter my playstyle significantly anyway, or my caution.

SilverStardust
01-17-2011, 10:21 PM
I have yet to ever even notice the whispers. I think at this point, I don't believe they actually exist. That, or subtle audio cues just don't stand out to me.

najzere
01-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Besides the whispers, there is also the sound of running, the sound of people on rooftops, the sound of the lift chase breaker, the sound of someone morphing a crowd or putting on a disguise, the sound of Charge and Sprint Boost, the sound a leap of faith, the sound of someone jumping into a haystack or bush, etc. There's a wealth of information out there if you're listening for it, or able to listen for it, and probably a lot you don't even realize you're processing.