PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Eddie Albert A True War Hero

-HH- Beebop
05-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Eddie Albert passed from the face of the earth today.

Albert was a genuine war hero. He served in the United States Navy during World War II as a Lieutenant. A thousand Americans and 4,800 Japanese lives were lost in bloody battle at Tarawa, a Pacific island, and Albert fought in the first wave of the three day combat. Afterward, he was ordered to salvage usable military equipment off the battlefield. He received a Purple Heart and was awarded the Bronze Star for his actions during the Battle of Tarawa in 1943, when he rescued a group of wounded Marines who'd been abandoned under heavy fire.

Please read:

http://vfw8896.net/eddiealbert.htm

SALUTE!

-HH- Beebop
05-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Eddie Albert passed from the face of the earth today.

Albert was a genuine war hero. He served in the United States Navy during World War II as a Lieutenant. A thousand Americans and 4,800 Japanese lives were lost in bloody battle at Tarawa, a Pacific island, and Albert fought in the first wave of the three day combat. Afterward, he was ordered to salvage usable military equipment off the battlefield. He received a Purple Heart and was awarded the Bronze Star for his actions during the Battle of Tarawa in 1943, when he rescued a group of wounded Marines who'd been abandoned under heavy fire.

Please read:

http://vfw8896.net/eddiealbert.htm

SALUTE!

Call_me_Kanno
05-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Aww man, That's really bad. I was just thinking about him the other day and was wondering how he was doing. I seen him on TV sometime ago talking about this while doing a special for the History channel I think. Here's to you Eddie, you done good in this world.

steve_v
05-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Nice post Beebop. I didn't know this and enjoyed the read.
Condolances to the family, friends, and loved ones.

jensenpark
05-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info Beebop.

Saw the info on Yahoo on his passing but never realized he was a vet.

If only today's crop from Hollywood was as good a man...

arcadeace
05-27-2005, 07:43 PM
I didn't know either Beebop. He's one of many old-time actors I've enjoyed, far removed from present day Hollywood. Now I'll remember him better than ever.

clayman_52
05-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Nice Beebop. I've always respected the few actors who served our country in the heat of battle.

He was great in "The Longest Day" and all the other movies and TV he did. I know he'll be remembered best for "Green Acres" ... but it's his service to country and movie acting I'll remember him for.

Cadet_Bobo
05-27-2005, 08:35 PM
He was a great man. He was a Higgins boat crewman and a great American. I loved his Mr. Dougles schtick, Edward Albert Heimberger, RIP.

Bobo

PBNA-Boosher
05-27-2005, 08:39 PM
and so passes another. They all do, eventually. Count your lucky stars for those that are still with us.

RIP

HotelBushranger
05-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the link Beebop. He looked like a really amazing man. Sad to see another veteran go.

MaxBruder
05-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Rest In Peace

wayno7777
05-27-2005, 10:28 PM
~S~ and Godspeed!!!

woofiedog
05-27-2005, 10:38 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif God Bless!

heywooood
05-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Yes - thank-you and good night to Eddie Albert who fought in one of the bloodiest battles in US history, may he rest peacefully at last.
I only became aware of his service recently in an article about all of the actors of his age who had served, and then saw him in an interview where he had great difficulty recalling the actual landing on the beach.
Somewhere I have a list of names of these actors who served and there are some surprises. (actually the biggest surprise is the one actor that is featured prominently in war movies of that era who refused to serve at all - his name was Marion something..)
I got interested in the subject while reading about Jimmy Stewart.

here is that list from another thread (http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/military/actors_in_wwii.html)

thanks stelr

Andrewsdad
05-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Decoration Day, 2005

...lest we forget.

Salute !!
AD

-HH-Dubbo
05-28-2005, 05:18 AM
A true hero. As one of my friends stated "Eddie Albert, an unsung war hero, a great actor, humanitarian and an environmentalist (he was involved in finding out about the dangers of DDT to bird's eggs). Not too many people in Hollywood like this anymore."

True

RIP http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

RAC_Pips
05-28-2005, 05:55 AM
I used to scoot home from school to watch him in Green Acres. Such a funny show. Seen in that light it is hard to picture him on the blood soaked beach of Tarawa.

Perhaps it's just childhood, but shows back then were fun eg Get Smart, Green Acres, Hogan's Heroes, Bewitched etc. Stuff on these days is ****.

Bearcat99
05-28-2005, 09:04 AM
I thought he was already gone..... ~S~

Snyde-Dastardly
05-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Man what a bummer,,Godspeed

Box-weasel
05-28-2005, 02:42 PM
"(actually the biggest surprise is the one actor that is featured prominently in war movies of that era who refused to serve at all - his name was Marion something..)"

If you're referring to John Wayne(Marion Robert Morrison), he tried to enlist but was rejected because of a bad shoulder from playing USC football, his age (34), and the fact that he was a married father of four kids. He flew to Washington to plead that he be allowed to join the Navy but was turned down.

airdale1960
05-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I have been blessed to have been raised by the WWII/Great Patriotic War generation. If you've been in contact with this generation, thank them for their sacrifice before they pass to the next life. Let us not forget!

nearmiss
05-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Eddie albert was 99 years old.

A nice full life

Cheers