PDA

View Full Version : Question About Assassin's Creed Series

TJByrum2
06-06-2010, 07:17 AM
OK, I know what the Animus is, but I have a few questions about it.

When Desmond uses it (or anyone uses it), does he CONTROL his ancestor, or does he sit inside of the ancestor and watch what he does?

Can Desmond control which ancestor he wants to be? Like, say he tells Lucy he wants to relive a 1918 assassins (in his family), can he choose that? Or does the Animus randomly choose an ancestor?

What are all the 'Bleeding Effects'?

How did the Assassins obtain an Animus if Abstergo made it?

Are his ancestors aware that Desmond is controlling them/inside them?

---

In AC2, can you skip cutscenes? Don't get me wrong, I love the storyline, but if I want to just freeplay after I beat it... I'd like to skip through them (or if I want to beat it again).

In AC2, can you just free-play?

TJByrum2
06-06-2010, 07:17 AM

When Desmond uses it (or anyone uses it), does he CONTROL his ancestor, or does he sit inside of the ancestor and watch what he does?

Can Desmond control which ancestor he wants to be? Like, say he tells Lucy he wants to relive a 1918 assassins (in his family), can he choose that? Or does the Animus randomly choose an ancestor?

What are all the 'Bleeding Effects'?

How did the Assassins obtain an Animus if Abstergo made it?

Are his ancestors aware that Desmond is controlling them/inside them?

---

In AC2, can you skip cutscenes? Don't get me wrong, I love the storyline, but if I want to just freeplay after I beat it... I'd like to skip through them (or if I want to beat it again).

In AC2, can you just free-play?

El_Sjietah
06-06-2010, 07:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TJByrum2:

When Desmond uses it (or anyone uses it), does he CONTROL his ancestor, or does he sit inside of the ancestor and watch what he does? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's reliving his ancestor's memories, so while he does control the character to a certain extent, he can't stray too far from what his ancestor did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can Desmond control which ancestor he wants to be? Like, say he tells Lucy he wants to relive a 1918 assassins (in his family), can he choose that? Or does the Animus randomly choose an ancestor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Animus operator can choose what piece of DNA memory to explore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What are all the 'Bleeding Effects'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bleeding effect is what happens when people spend too much time in the animus. Their genetic memory becomes more dominant and their own personality starts to mix with that of their ancestors.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How did the Assassins obtain an Animus if Abstergo made it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They made one themselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are his ancestors aware that Desmond is controlling them/inside them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's only reliving the memories, so he isn't changing the past or anything. His ancestors are dead, so I doubt they notice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TJByrum2
06-06-2010, 07:46 AM
OK, thanks. Sometimes AC confuses me with all this technology and all.

Interesting, but a little confusing. The modern-day assassins should find a hideout, make it a guild, and begin training more assassins.

mikeh1294
06-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Building on what El_Sjietah said about reliving the memories, that is what the 'sync' was. If you did things that the ancestor didn't do, you lost sync with their actions, resulting in failure.

lilbacchant
06-06-2010, 10:00 AM
For me, from a psychological standpoint, that's one of the interesting things about the animus. It's NOT simply a device that facilitates memory recall. If it were, all of the subjects experiences would be completely passive.

Instead, it's something more akin to a directed dream, where the subjects brain reacts as if it's in control. Like in a REM state, the brain "lights-up" as if it were engaged in a present, real activity, as does the sympathetic nervous system, even if the non-sympathetic nervous system remains paralyzed.

In my eyes, this is what makes the "bleeding effect" so interesting, particularly it's conjuction w/ acquiring learned abilities. Physical skills, for the most part, are acquired via what's sometimes referred to as "muscle memory". That is, both the muscle, local nerves, and the brain learn to work in harmony -- not unlike an orchestra.

In REM states, of course, the 'muscle' portion of this orchestra is missing and, so, assumed it's not a viable means of introducing physical skills. The animus seems to be challenging this assumption.

As a side curiosity, why did the developers decide to call the machine an "animus"? Were they thinking of Carl Jung? My bet is, yes, considering his theories about the collective unconscious -- i.e., genetic memory. (Albeit, he meant genetic memories in the macro sense, such as basic symbols and behavior patterns, not individual, experiential memories.)

EmperorxZurg
06-06-2010, 10:14 AM
TJ, they have more assassins, but they're all scattered to combat the huge organizations of Templars around the globe. There isn't many of them so they had to split up to almost like 4 people to a whole continent. plus to train an assassin would take like 20 years, the only quick way they have is through the animus and I'm pretty sure that not everyone had an assassin for a ancestor

itsamea-mario
06-06-2010, 10:43 AM
yeah, they couldnt have a big guild, that has a headquaters because, well it could be found and destroyed, besides i doubt 'they' do all the training, if they wanted fighters, they'd probably find people who are ex-special forces, or have learned skills like ninjitsu (the assassin art).

i also find the animus interesting.

samward
06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lilbacchant:
For me, from a psychological standpoint, that's one of the interesting things about the animus. It's NOT simply a device that facilitates memory recall. If it were, all of the subjects experiences would be completely passive.

Instead, it's something more akin to a directed dream, where the subjects brain reacts as if it's in control. Like in a REM state, the brain "lights-up" as if it were engaged in a present, real activity, as does the sympathetic nervous system, even if the non-sympathetic nervous system remains paralyzed.

In my eyes, this is what makes the "bleeding effect" so interesting, particularly it's conjuction w/ acquiring learned abilities. Physical skills, for the most part, are acquired via what's sometimes referred to as "muscle memory". That is, both the muscle, local nerves, and the brain learn to work in harmony -- not unlike an orchestra.

In REM states, of course, the 'muscle' portion of this orchestra is missing and, so, assumed it's not a viable means of introducing physical skills. The animus seems to be challenging this assumption.

As a side curiosity, why did the developers decide to call the machine an "animus"? Were they thinking of Carl Jung? My bet is, yes, considering his theories about the collective unconscious -- i.e., genetic memory. (Albeit, he meant genetic memories in the macro sense, such as basic symbols and behavior patterns, not individual, experiential memories.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

really interesting insight...

Marius_Darkwolf
06-06-2010, 11:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
TJ, they have more assassins, but they're all scattered to combat the huge organizations of Templars around the globe. There isn't many of them so they had to split up to almost like 4 people to a whole continent. plus to train an assassin would take like 20 years, the only quick way they have is through the animus and I'm pretty sure that not everyone had an assassin for a ancestor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They might actually start using the Animus, as the Assassins just recently got their hands on one, great way to help train people, especially if they recruit from decendents of assassins. Remember, the Templar's are the ones that developed the Animus, once the Assassins got their hands on it, they went WAY outside the box as a training method.

wanderer77
06-07-2010, 11:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
yeah, they couldnt have a big guild, that has a headquaters because, well it could be found and destroyed, besides i doubt 'they' do all the training, if they wanted fighters, they'd probably find people who are ex-special forces, or have learned skills like ninjitsu (the assassin art).

i also find the animus interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

right, taking in a templar in disguise would be fun. remember the templars are winning the secret war, it makes sense they have larger numbers, and more infiltration in the society. ex special forces guys could very well been working for the templars.

if you havent noticed in AC2 most assassins are born into the order, it takes out the possibility of templar infiltration. in fact when i saw Shaun in AC2 and how he was a jerk i predicted he will betray the assassins. we'll see if i was right in AC3.

PlagueDoctor357
06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
That's what I love about AC. Everything actually "Makes sense"

Like for instance, getting stabbed or stabbing pedestrians.

Ezio or Altair didn't have that happen, and that's why your health and sync goes down.

Actual purpose towards the story instead of random health bar. Awesome.

SWJS
06-08-2010, 02:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Remember, the Templar's are the ones that developed the Animus, once the Assassins got their hands on it, they went WAY outside the box as a training method. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually the Templars have figured this out too. The large maze of Animi in the beginning of AC2 is actually a lab being used to train Templars via the Animus.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">in fact when i saw Shaun in AC2 and how he was a jerk i predicted he will betray the assassins. we'll see if i was right in AC3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Shaun isn't a happy guy. Since he's the guy giving assassins in the field background intel, it's his responsibility if one of the teams dies. Not only that, but he also has to file a large report on it. He also wasn't born into the brotherhood, so he's probably jealous, and even if he did turn against the gang, they'd probably mop the floor with him. Shaun seems smarter than that.

He also does loosen up the second time you talk to him after you come out of the animus. He actually unwinds and fills us in on how he joined the brotherhood, and gives us the fact that Rebecca saved his rear end from ending up on a Templar platter. His attitude is pretty understandable if you ask me.