PDA

View Full Version : Taking off in a storm

MrPingwin
04-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm flying an I16 in a dynamic campaign and have just tried a mission where the weather is a thunderstorm.

I have a problem in that as soon as the mission starts with my plane on the runway, it is being slowly spun round to the right by the wind. All the AI aircraft are unaffected. Is this supposed to happen?

In order to keep the plane pointing down the runway, I've tried left rudder with the brakes on and loads of throttle which works but when I release the brake so I can take off, the plane immediately spins round to the right again making take off virtually impossible.

Any advice as to how I should be keeping my plane still and then taking off in this situation would be much appreciated.

MrPingwin
04-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm flying an I16 in a dynamic campaign and have just tried a mission where the weather is a thunderstorm.

I have a problem in that as soon as the mission starts with my plane on the runway, it is being slowly spun round to the right by the wind. All the AI aircraft are unaffected. Is this supposed to happen?

In order to keep the plane pointing down the runway, I've tried left rudder with the brakes on and loads of throttle which works but when I release the brake so I can take off, the plane immediately spins round to the right again making take off virtually impossible.

Any advice as to how I should be keeping my plane still and then taking off in this situation would be much appreciated.

rnzoli
04-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Have you tried tailwheel lock? Before releasing your brakes.

Widowmaker214
04-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah that happens in high wind and can be a major bummer.
First...once it starts..get your engine started real fast.. kick opposite rudder and hold the break (differential breaking) and throttle up slowly. That will bring your nose around. When you are lined up down the runway again immediately lock your tail wheel (This should help with the plane spinning when you release the break). Keep your rudder kicked and a bit of power to hold you steady till its your turn to take off.
Once you're ready to go.. release the break but keep the rudder kicked and throttle up.
(If it continues to spin you... Move off to the taxiway and try and do it again from the there .. We've seen that happen where you couldn't keep it straight while on the runway but if you get off to the taxi way it helps. Don't ask me why. We've also seen it affected by throttle. If you keep the throttle low it will roll down the runway a bit, say 100 feet.. and then you can go full throttle without it spinning hard on you. You'll still need a lot of rudder but its controllable)
Be careful when your tail comes up, you'll have to do some quick rudder adjustments so as to keep the lateral stress on your gear down so they don't break. Then you should be good to go.

Zeus-cat
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I keep the brake on until I hit about 30-40 mph. Once you get going that fast the "wind" is no longer a factor.

PBNA-Boosher
04-04-2007, 05:39 PM
The I-16 doesn't have a tailwheel lock option. You're best off holding the brake and starting the engine ASAP. Once that's in, use whatever throttle settings, brake, and rudder you need to keep the plane straight and on the runway. Once airborne, climb above the clouds, if possible, to avoid those nasty winds.

MrPingwin
04-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm still finding this virtually impossible to do. I did manage to take off once by just letting the plane go in the direction the wind wants it to and hoping that it doesn't crash into any of the parked planes or other obstacles in the area but most times the plane goes completely out of control and flips over http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Zeus-cat
04-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Just skip this mission in the campaign. Once you gain more experience you may be able to takeoff in a storm. Another option is to opn the mission in the Full Mission Builder and change the weather.

Zonama
04-07-2007, 02:06 PM
When all else fails, press A.

MrPingwin
04-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the hints. I've managed to get the plane up into the air without going off the runway too much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The landing was interesting though. At least my squadron will soon have run out of I16s and then they'll have to give me a decent plane instead.

Cheers.