PDA

View Full Version : Oleg - can you give us That Special Something?

killer2359
11-07-2004, 02:08 AM
I hope, hope and pray (every night on my knees) that PF manages ultimately to give us something I call "That Special Something".

I define this quite simply as: the feeling while we're playing whatever mission you're on that the rest of the war is going on elsewhere beyond the horizon of your screen. Simple huh?

There is nothing more awful than the feeling that you're just playing on a canvas stage or participating in the equivalent of an Arena style BotMatch - I hope PF doesn't go this way.

Microprose managed to achieve this Special Something in 1942: Pacific Air War so I know it CAN be done!

FI_Macca44
11-07-2004, 05:02 AM
and the European Air War did ot too.BTW, I loved 1942 PAW, it was my first game for my first PC.PF is really cool but there is something missing from it probably.

anthonyl59
11-07-2004, 06:16 AM
I think that "special something" is "Pacific Fighters...The forgotten Squadrons"....addon version 1.1..another 2 cd's all for a low cost of $69.95.

Or is it Lock On version 1.1 (Flaming Cliffs) Im thinking of?

CaptainFlunky
11-07-2004, 06:42 AM
I agree 100%. It's like "war in a bottle" sometimes.

Automatic__Jack
11-07-2004, 07:15 AM
I call it "the EF2000 syndrome", perfect simulation, but not enough atmosphere.

I agree with you

Freycinet
11-07-2004, 07:26 AM
How much do you think Oleg can stuff into your computers at the same time? - Yes we all want movie-like graphics, but those CG movies were made at 1 frame a minute!!

Sometimes people just have unreal expectations of what can be achieved by modern computers. Because you don't want to go back to EAW graphics, do you?

Five AI-fighters take up 20% of computing cycles, you can't just have 200 AI roaming about...

It is a question of handling limited ressources, and I think Oleg is doing a great job in allocating the ressources.

VW-IceFire
11-07-2004, 07:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killer2359:
I hope, hope and pray (every night on my knees) that PF manages ultimately to give us something I call "That Special Something".

I define this quite simply as: the feeling while we're playing whatever mission you're on that the rest of the war is going on elsewhere beyond the horizon of your screen. Simple huh?

There is nothing more awful than the feeling that you're just playing on a canvas stage or participating in the equivalent of an Arena style BotMatch - I hope PF doesn't go this way.

Microprose managed to achieve this Special Something in 1942: Pacific Air War so I know it CAN be done! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its already possible to have that sort of feeling I find. It happens most on coops. Last night I had a great coop game that I happened across.

It was a combined strike...USAAF B-25's and P-38s and then A-20's, Beaufighters, and P-40's with the RAAF. The other side was flying A6M3's with Betty bombers (I forget what they were doing).

Anyways the mission went along brilliantly. Everyone got into a bit of trouble here and there. The RAAF guys hit the target but got a dose of flak. Meanwhile, my P-38 group was an interesting story. Two guys hung in there till the Zero's caught us. The fourth guy was doing his own thing and got wiped out in a matter of seconds (he should have stayed with the group!). Number 3 went on to strike the target leaving my number 2 (who hung in there!) to fight with 4 Zero's. About 6 minutes later, with the Beaufighters retreating below us, we emerged victorious...I managed to splash 4 Zero's. One was AI and 3 were piloted by human players.

The sense of the war going on around certainly stemmed from the two similtaenous strikes going on. I did't even see a good number of the group. I could read their messages on the chat window and see their retreat beneath us as we fought with the Zero's. It was certainly a blast!

But yeah, sometimes it does feel canned. Depends on the situation!

sapre
11-07-2004, 07:33 AM
We allready have the greatest tool for some immersion...
It's called IMAGINATION! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

CaptainFlunky
11-07-2004, 07:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sapre:
It's called IMAGINATION! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quick question; do you play wearing a flight helmet and goggles?

Automatic__Jack
11-07-2004, 07:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaptainFlunky:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sapre:
It's called IMAGINATION! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quick question; do you play wearing a flight helmet and goggles? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It must be wonderful!

Bu it's better to use a fan over the monitor to simulate wind, if you play with open canopy or in a old plane...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

CaptainFlunky
11-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Yep. Also good if you have your wife/girlfriend/mom/dad/younger sibling, preferably all of them, stand by the side of your computer and yell "BANZAI!!!" when you take off from carrier while flying as a japanese pilot.

Deckard71
11-07-2004, 08:23 AM
I get the wife to flick oil and dead bugs at me to simulate that 'open cockpit' feeling.

She draws the line at setting fire to my desk when my engine goes up though...

(written from Ward B, bed 4, Hemel Hempstead Hospital whilst recovering from a broekn ankle sustained from a realistic 'bail out' through the bedroom window) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GT182
11-07-2004, 09:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(written from Ward B, bed 4, Hemel Hempstead Hospital whilst recovering from a broekn ankle sustained from a realistic 'bail out' through the bedroom window) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LNAO!!! Sorry Deckard71 but I couldn't help it. I can feel your pain. That's what I'd call immersion and imagination, all in one http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.

And to A-J and Captain F.... you betchya, we do anything possible to get the feel of "being there". Fans, homemade cockpits, helmets and googles, what ever you can imagine.

So, I say Oleg has already given us "That Special Something".

TheVoodooPriest
11-07-2004, 10:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killer2359:
Microprose managed to achieve this Special Something in 1942: Pacific Air War so I know it CAN be done! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1942 Pacific Air War was really a great game. But the only thing which made it so special was the strategic campaign. In flight it could only simulate 16 planes, so combat was somewhat limited.

james_ander
11-07-2004, 12:54 PM
One of the best contributors to atmosphere (in an already good sim) is radio chatter. Lots of pilots on the radio makes you feel like more is going on. Falcon 4.0 does this the best in my opinion with radio chatter ranging from the very technical to the actual reactions of pilots. There is also chatter from other missions which helps a lot. The absolute worst is Flanker 2.5, a technically good sim for its time that was as silent as a tomb. The Flanker world was indeed very lonely. LOMAC is somewhat better, but still has that empty feeling.

IL2 is not bad for radio chatter bad but it's somewhat canned. I have been enjoying the new British voice overs which seem to most expressive and varied. I also liked the depressed Russian voice over who sounded like he needed Prozac whenever he got shot down.

I also find that well written mission briefings are very helpful for priming the imagination. Also mission that are well timed add a lot to immersion. I fly coops with a friend using the original IL2. He has a really old computer, so no cramming it with planes. I find that with a good story line and timing the action so that there is always something happening is very helpful.

Daiichidoku
11-07-2004, 01:15 PM
one must remember, that IRL, most pilots WOULD fight a "war in a bottle"....

they were too busy with navigation, staying in formation, plus keeping an eye on engine and other flight functions and other things, not the least of which was scanning for enemy fighters

not to mention whatever actual attack they were to carry out

i imagine most pilots would never even know, much less care about events taking place several miles away from them

concerned with 1 survival
2 mission completion

they had all the war in a bottle they could handle already

perhaps bomber gunners and recce pilots could afford this kind of sightseeing

oFZo
11-07-2004, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
one must remember, that IRL, most pilots WOULD fight a "war in a bottle"....

they were too busy with navigation, staying in formation, plus keeping an eye on engine and other flight functions and other things, not the least of which was scanning for enemy fighters

not to mention whatever actual attack they were to carry out

i imagine most pilots would never even know, much less care about events taking place several miles away from them

concerned with 1 survival
2 mission completion

they had all the war in a bottle they could handle already

perhaps bomber gunners and recce pilots could afford this kind of sightseeing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said.

killer2359
11-08-2004, 04:25 AM
hmmm... - yes I take your point, but that notwithstanding I still have a fear that PF might in it's final form end up having something of the "Bottled" feeling which goes beyond just the "my mission" narrow field of focus. Part of my reason for this concern I have to admit is that I'm strictly a single player type of operator and not at all into multiplayer - so I have a deep dislike and fear of "Battlefield 1942" style of single player gameplay.

I don't think PF has that BF1942 type of YUCK and I'm actually not quite willing yet to even say it actually has a "bottled" feel - I simply hope it ends up WITH that "special something" - and like I said: every day I hope and pray.....

Fehler
11-08-2004, 04:48 AM
For me, that Special Something would be one of those two chicks Oleg had his picture taken with a couple years back. I could s(t)imulate something with them! And at $40.00 an hour, it would be a good deal!

LOL

killer2359
11-08-2004, 05:59 AM
>:-D