PDA

View Full Version : AVG quiz!

jarink
08-28-2008, 10:59 AM
My dad emailed me this today; I thought people here would also enjoy it. I'll plan on posting the answers tomorrow!

1. May 2008 marked the 65th anniversary of a battle in which the AVG played a critical role in halting a Japanese invasion of southern China. Where did that action take place?
a. Toungoo
b. Salween Gorge
c. Tak
d. Chiang Mai

2. Which of the following pilots did not become an ace with the AVG's 2nd "Panda Bears" Pursuit Squadron?
a. Jack Newkirk
b. Ed Rector
c. D i c k Rossi
d. Tex Hill

3. Who was credited with scoring the first and last aerial victories for the AVG before it was officially disbanded on July 4th, 1942?
a. Jack Newkirk
b. Ed Rector
c. D i c k Rossi
d. Tex Hill

4. Which former AVG member was awarded the Medal of Honor during WWII? (tricky!)
a. Greg Boyington
b. Tex Hill
c. Charles Older
d. James Howard

5. What was the principal Japanese fighter encountered by the Curtiss 81s of the AVG in the first few months of the war?
a. Mitsubishi A6M2
b. Mitsubishi A5M4
c. Nakajima Ki-43
d. Nakajima Ki-27

6. Which pilot was credited with the most victories while with the AVG?
a. Jack Newkirk
b. Charles Older
c. Bob Neale
d. Tex Hill

Good luck and no Googling for answers! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

jarink
08-28-2008, 10:59 AM
My dad emailed me this today; I thought people here would also enjoy it. I'll plan on posting the answers tomorrow!

1. May 2008 marked the 65th anniversary of a battle in which the AVG played a critical role in halting a Japanese invasion of southern China. Where did that action take place?
a. Toungoo
b. Salween Gorge
c. Tak
d. Chiang Mai

2. Which of the following pilots did not become an ace with the AVG's 2nd "Panda Bears" Pursuit Squadron?
a. Jack Newkirk
b. Ed Rector
c. D i c k Rossi
d. Tex Hill

3. Who was credited with scoring the first and last aerial victories for the AVG before it was officially disbanded on July 4th, 1942?
a. Jack Newkirk
b. Ed Rector
c. D i c k Rossi
d. Tex Hill

4. Which former AVG member was awarded the Medal of Honor during WWII? (tricky!)
a. Greg Boyington
b. Tex Hill
c. Charles Older
d. James Howard

5. What was the principal Japanese fighter encountered by the Curtiss 81s of the AVG in the first few months of the war?
a. Mitsubishi A6M2
b. Mitsubishi A5M4
c. Nakajima Ki-43
d. Nakajima Ki-27

a. Jack Newkirk
b. Charles Older
c. Bob Neale
d. Tex Hill

Good luck and no Googling for answers! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

general_kalle
08-28-2008, 02:48 PM
4. A

5 D

the rest i dont know and its unfair to reseerch

dirkpit7
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
1. d
2. c
3. d
4. a
5. d
6. b

berg417448
08-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I think the answer to #4 would actually be d

Howard received his MOH during the war. Boyington didn't get his until after the war IIRC.

jarink
08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Gee, I would have thought there would have been more interest... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

<span class="ev_code_Yellow">THE ANSWERS!</span>

a. Toungoo
<span class="ev_code_Yellow">b. Salween Gorge</span>
c. Tak
d. Chiang Mai

a. Jack Newkirk
b. Ed Rector
<span class="ev_code_Yellow">c. D i c k Rossi</span>
d. Tex Hill

a. Jack Newkirk
<span class="ev_code_Yellow">b. Ed Rector</span>
c. D i c k Rossi
d. Tex Hill

<span class="ev_code_Yellow">a. Greg Boyington</span>
b. Tex Hill
c. Charles Older
<span class="ev_code_Yellow">d. James Howard</span>

OK, so this was kind of a trick question since there were two answers. Boyington's MoH was officially awarded posthumously in March of 1944. It was not known until after the war that he had survived. Howard received his MoH on June 5, 1944 while serving with the 354th Fighter Group.

a. Mitsubishi A6M2
b. Mitsubishi A5M4
c. Nakajima Ki-43
<span class="ev_code_Yellow">d. Nakajima Ki-27</span>

a. Jack Newkirk
b. Charles Older
<span class="ev_code_Yellow">c. Bob Neale</span>
d. Tex Hill

Bob's score was 13 victories.

Just for the record, when I originally took this quiz, I only got a grand total of two questions (#4 and 5) correct.

general_kalle
08-31-2008, 02:38 PM
YAY two corrects http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif