PDA

View Full Version : OT: summer/winter in southern hemisphere

tjaika1910
12-04-2005, 06:14 AM
A question for our australian/asian members:

Do you call it "winter" now or "summer"? Do for instance australians say it is Christmas in the summer?

tjaika1910
12-04-2005, 06:14 AM
A question for our australian/asian members:

Do you call it "winter" now or "summer"? Do for instance australians say it is Christmas in the summer?

soldierforever
12-04-2005, 06:42 AM
ok, I'm in South Africa, yes, our "christmastime" is in the summer, seasons are completely opposite.

(note: I do not celebrate christmas)

Airmail109
12-04-2005, 08:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by soldierforever:
ok, I'm in South Africa, yes, our "christmastime" is in the summer, seasons are completely opposite.

(note: I do not celebrate christmas) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only say i feel sorry for you! Christmas is like....meant to be cold....COLD I SAY....COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tjaika1910
12-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Must be hard for visitors to call december a summer month http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

panther3485
12-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi there!

Our seasons in Australia are pretty much the direct opposite of the UK, Europe or N. America. Our real summer weather gets under way in December, with January and February being the hottest months, and March usually similar to December as it starts to cool into Autumn/Fall.

'Average' peak daytime temperatures for Christmas Day are well into the 30's Celsius, but we've had a few Christmas Days in the 20's and the odd one here and there in the high 30's nudging 40. Reckon 31-35 about usual.

I can remember Christmases and cold winters with ice and snow, in the UK, from when I was a kid (50's and early 60's). Then my parents decided to migrate to Australia.

As my Mother's side had 'reverse migrated' from South Africa to the UK following the Boer War, perhaps there was a certain amount of restlessness 'in the blood'? Who knows?

But I digress! Back on topic..... In any case, I've spent the tail end of my childhood and all my adult life in Australia, becoming a citizen in 1975. My youngest sister was only a baby, so cannot remember the UK at all.

We have all become used to having Christmas in Summer and of course, to native-born Australians (of whatever ancestry), that's the only kind there is!

For Christmas dinner - the beach, BBQ or other outdoor celebrations are popular but a surprising amount of people (including my household) still like the 'traditional' British/European style celebration, with roast, Christmas pudding etc. The majority of these wait until the evening, when it's not so hot!

We also go big time for Christmas trees, decorations and other things that help to make the Christmas 'atmosphere'.

Come to think of it, I'll be putting our decorations and tree up this week. This year my wife and I have been well organized (for a change) and we've nearly finished all our Christmas shopping.

Best regards to all you North Hemis types, doing it the good old cold way!

panther3485

Aero_Shodanjo
12-04-2005, 09:14 AM
No winter/spring/summer/autumn here...

...Only monsoon or mild monsoon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Airmail109
12-04-2005, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by panther3485:
Hi there!

Our seasons in Australia are pretty much the direct opposite of the UK, Europe or N. America. Our real summer weather gets under way in December, with January and February being the hottest months, and March usually similar to December as it starts to cool into Autumn/Fall.

'Average' peak daytime temperatures for Christmas Day are well into the 30's Celsius, but we've had a few Christmas Days in the 20's and the odd one here and there in the high 30's nudging 40. Reckon 31-35 about usual.

I can remember Christmases and cold winters with ice and snow, in the UK, from when I was a kid (50's and early 60's). Then my parents decided to migrate to Australia.

As my Mother's side had 'reverse migrated' from South Africa to the UK following the Boer War, perhaps there was a certain amount of restlessness 'in the blood'? Who knows?

But I digress! Back on topic..... In any case, I've spent the tail end of my childhood and all my adult life in Australia, becoming a citizen in 1975. My youngest sister was only a baby, so cannot remember the UK at all.

We have all become used to having Christmas in Summer and of course, to native-born Australians (of whatever ancestry), that's the only kind there is!

For Christmas dinner - the beach, BBQ or other outdoor celebrations are popular but a surprising amount of people (including my household) still like the 'traditional' British/European style celebration, with roast, Christmas pudding etc. The majority of these wait until the evening, when it's not so hot!

We also go big time for Christmas trees, decorations and other things that help to make the Christmas 'atmosphere'.

Come to think of it, I'll be putting our decorations and tree up this week. This year my wife and I have been well organized (for a change) and we've nearly finished all our Christmas shopping.

Best regards to all you North Hemis types, doing it the good old cold way!

panther3485 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Argghhhhhhhhhhh BBQs on Christmas? Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually one of my mates JAke moved to Australia, Hot christmases and BBQs for Xmas dinner were some of his arguments to perswade his parents to move back to England....which they did.

jds1978
12-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Aimail101: I'm not sure where you live but here in Michigan people get mighty sick of winter fast http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif...

We have two seasons: Winter and Not-Winter.
Not-Winter lasts 3 months http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Airmail109
12-04-2005, 09:40 AM
We like a real cold winter in england....u see it usually just rains here which pisses us off....Christmas should at least be a crsip clear cold day or even better a white one....the idea of a bbq in hot weather drinking lager on christmas just freaks me right out.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Heres to hoping that global warming knocks the gulf stream away from England so it snows more and rains less!

Zeus-cat
12-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Aimail1o1 said "I can only say i feel sorry for you! Christmas is like....meant to be cold"

You mean just like the very first one?!? LOL

Zeus-cat

Airmail109
12-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes i do believe in Bethlehem.....in december....sumtime around tea to be precise it was snowing! The camels were most confused.....