PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading aircraft during WW2

dwaindibley
12-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Whilst watching recently posted footage of Jugs I noticed in some scenes there was a mix of P-47 varients being used together. I was wondering how did different air forces go about upgrading squadrons to newer types of aircraft?
From what I've read RAF squadrons seem to have upgraded as a unit (eg. Spit V to IX). How about USAAF, IJA\N, LW etc. For example would a LW squadron (gruppe?) ever operate with a mix of Me109 E,F,G ...etc types?
What about retrofiting inservice aircraft. I know that some Spitfire Vs were in service upgrades of earlier versions and iirc 109s were also treated to the same.
Thanks
DD

dwaindibley
12-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Whilst watching recently posted footage of Jugs I noticed in some scenes there was a mix of P-47 varients being used together. I was wondering how did different air forces go about upgrading squadrons to newer types of aircraft?
From what I've read RAF squadrons seem to have upgraded as a unit (eg. Spit V to IX). How about USAAF, IJA\N, LW etc. For example would a LW squadron (gruppe?) ever operate with a mix of Me109 E,F,G ...etc types?
What about retrofiting inservice aircraft. I know that some Spitfire Vs were in service upgrades of earlier versions and iirc 109s were also treated to the same.
Thanks
DD

Zeus-cat
12-06-2007, 04:35 PM
My guess is that there is no easy answer to this. Some units would be upgraded en masse and others would get leftovers. "Critical" units would probably get priority on new equipment. Critical likely being defined as who had the most political clout.

With armor, it was common to see many different tanks in a unit for both the Americans and the Germans. I'm not sure about aircraft, butI would think the same is true.

FPSOLKOR
12-06-2007, 05:25 PM
If an uprade was made by the same airplane (P-47 to P-47) then it was usual to be done in the field. If an upgrade was to different type (P-38 to P-47), then an extra training in the rear would be needed - pilots had to be re-trained, and so are the mechs.

jarink
12-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I know for sure that heavy bomber and fighter groups in the Eighth Air Force typically received new equipment piecemeal. There would only be a wholesale trade-in of equipment when transitioning to a completely new type, such as going from P-47s to P-51s.

B-17s and B-24s when delivered to the 8th were sent straight to modification depots to bring them up to speed with whatever current modifications were available. This is easily seen with B-17s when they got the wedge-shaped cheek guns retrofitted.

I know that some of this went on in the Pacific, too. For example, quite a number of B-24Ds delivered to the 380th BG were retrofitted in the field with nose turrets, so they are often mistaken for later marks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Critical likely being defined as who had the most political clout. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember reading in Johnny Johnson's book an episode where Douglas Bader managed to talk Supermarine into fitting metal alierons (from a Mk IX) on his Mk V. Eventually, he managed to get the whole squadron retrofitted on the sly. When the inevitable bureaucratic demand of "who authorized this and how will it be paid for?" was raised, Bader was already a POW and the matter was quietly dropped.