PDA

View Full Version : p-51 rudder and aileron CLICKS help

jessi1
04-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Fat boyhk said on a post were he set the rudder trim to 11 clicks to the right and aileron trim 1 click to the left. Iam curious as to what effect this has on the planes performance. Iam learning the stangs power points and weaknesses. I know all about elevator trim and have that set on my throttle but im really curious about the rudder and aileron clicks and what it does and what it may help in certain situations,,fatboy if you read this please tell me why. Thanks guys in advance these forums can be a wealth of info. See u all in the air BLACKPULPIT

BuzzU
04-01-2005, 10:54 AM
The planes don't come trimmed to fly straight except for some German planes.

Those settings will help it fly straight (hands off). Although keeping a plane flying straight is a constant trim setting chore.

GUARD4000
04-01-2005, 10:56 AM
I know why FatboyHK do that.He wants the Mustang go straight.

horseback
04-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Without correct trim, the aircraft isn't flying to where the nose is pointing-there's a slight sideways (and up/down) angle that can throw your aim off substantially. Centering the needle and ball means that your rounds are going in a predictable path.

11 clicks of right rudder trim sounds right for the Mustang at full throttle and 100% prop pitch; the aileron trim helps keep the wings level with the rudder trim added. Rudder trim has to be increased in proportion to throttle -it goes up and down with your power settings, so you'll have to click in some left rudder trim as you decrease power.

You already appreciate the effect of elevator trim as speed increases and decreases, so I'll leave that alone.

You may have to add a little right aileron trim as you throttle down as well. Theoretically, an aircraft in 'neutral trim' should fly straight and level at standard cruise speed and settings, although this doesn't always seem to happen in-game.

cheers

horseback