PDA

View Full Version : High Realism controls ever possible???

Wolf-Strike
12-26-2004, 03:17 PM
An idea for future flight sim controls and realism "feel".This is a way off idea and its just for fun but who knows,maybe one day!!

Ive been thinking about this for awhile and wanna know what you guys think.What we need are controls that go up to say 80 pounds of pressure for full deflection.Now the way to do this is to use of course steel and bearings stick but only allow the stick to move say 2 inches per axis.Then have a very hard but flexible rubber stop in all four directions.Have the rubber just hard enuff to be at 80 pounds full deflection when the stick meets end of travel.

Now for the pots,they need to be rigged so that there is a gear to increase the amount of travel that pot sees in relation to the small stick movement.This will allow the 1-in of travle the stick goes in each direction to use up the full travel on a high quality pot.

Finally now the sim needs to be coded for feel instead of movement.For example while at very low speed youll only have to move the stick slightly for full deflection in game.It will feel light yet onscreen will be very responsive.increase speeds and the amount of force needed to get full deflection increases.

This way as in real life, a strong person will be pulling out of dives better than a week person and the individual stick forces requiered per plane can realistically be modeled.

Now imagine this in a strong cockpit with the same applied to rudder pedals and you see my drifthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just an idea.Anyone ever see this happening??

clint-ruin
12-26-2004, 04:33 PM
There are absolutely amazingly talented people who put hundreds of hours into making real cockpits and sticks to control their sims with. Might be possible to make something like this even based on just the ordinary force feedback data that would go to a conventional FF stick if someone really got a ****** for making one. That or some combination of devicelink output linked to a motor controlling the stick pressures.

Are there any dedicated Cougar abusers out there who have thought of doing something like this? Anyone priced up doing a similar modification?

WB_Outlaw
12-26-2004, 05:06 PM
"Hard but flexible" is an oxymoron isn't it?

The game already reads physical stick movement as virtual applied force regardless of your IAS so there is no software modification required for that. It does not model different strength pilots. I've never used one but a force feedback stick is what you need to provide the "feel", however, unless you plan on a 4 point harness (minimum) and putting your feet against the instrument panel, 80 lbs is not reasonable.

To get what you're looking for just take a force feedback stick apart and mount it in your simpit. Replace the existing servos with 40 amp linear motors. Have an ambulance and a surgeon skilled at replacing limbs on standby. Start the FMB and place a Jug at 25000 feet and 700 kph initial speed with a second waypoint at 300 feet directly under the starting point. Pull the stick back to full deflection and then start the mission.

-Outlaw.

JG5_Scorpius
12-26-2004, 05:10 PM
I like the approach these guys have taken:

http://simhardware.org/page6.html

but I first have to win the lottery before I can affort it.

Scorpius

Wolf-Strike
12-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Oh wow that is amazing.Now throw some some hard but flexiblehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif rubber mounts for each deflection.Have Oleg change the programming and voila....sim nirvanahttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TX-EcoDragon
12-26-2004, 05:27 PM
I think using a gas charged shock set up with pressures that vary with airspeed and of course the particular aircraft is the way to go. . . we just need a system to pressurize, and depressurize the system that can interface with the computer. If you are after realism in a conventional aircraft you will need far more than two inches travel, more like 20 inches at the grip. I've been thinking of making just such a device.

Wolf-Strike
12-26-2004, 07:38 PM
I know what your saying TX but this way would give a REALLY good effect for MUCH less money.

Bearcat99
12-26-2004, 08:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG5_Scorpius:
I like the approach these guys have taken:

http://simhardware.org/page6.html

but I first have to win the lottery before I can affort it.

Scorpius <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is incedible. On a side note..... I heard that MS got out of the joystick business because of a lawsuit with theior FFB sticks... someone claimed they got carpal tunnel from it. Can you imagine what some greedy yahoo would do with this? They should put a disclaimer on it if they market it.

TX-EcoDragon
12-26-2004, 09:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolf-Strike:
I know what your saying TX but this way would give a REALLY good effect for MUCH less money. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you didn't care that the forces were the same at 50 KIAS as they are at 300 then it would be a rather simple affair as you said. I have done that using something similar to the gas struts as used on cars for the hatchback/trunk, only these were much shorter and higher pressure. The travel was a bit too limited to be realistic however. As far as controlling the shock pressure, I have a system on the rear-end of a full suspension mountain bike that does a similar thing. . . it just costs a few hundred bucks for the shock. . .and I'd need four!

So your right! But I can dream can't I?

fritzthefox
12-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Geez, and here I thought something was wrong with my joystick...nuts.

Oh, well, the new one is nice, too. LOL!

TX-EcoDragon
12-27-2004, 11:34 PM
http://www.txsquadron.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1965

WWSensei
12-28-2004, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I heard that MS got out of the joystick business because of a lawsuit with theior FFB sticks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You heard wrong. A company like Microsoft wouldn't let go of a profitable business because of a lawsuit. Hell, Microsoft is getting sued DAILY.

They dropped the joystick business because it wasn't making money. It's a device used primarily for a niche market and they didn't want to go after it. Easier and cheaper to make X-Box controllers...