PDA

View Full Version : ACR was good but not great

eagleforlife1
12-12-2011, 08:15 AM
There have been threads from people who hate the game and a new thread has been made for people who loved the game. Personally, I liked it but I'm not one of those people who thinks that the light shines out of Ubisoft's arses and are immune to criticism. I've seen people getting flamed for sharing their opinion, however, I paid good money for it and therefore feel that I have just as much right to complain about it as I have to praise it.

Pros:
* Story - decent story with nice twists in terms of **spoilers** <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Barleti's assassination and Ahmet's allegiance with the Templars</span>end of spoilers**
* Gameplay - liked the addition of set pieces to the missions, particularly sequences 1 and 8.
* Hookblade - excellent addition to help speed up navigation.
* Constantinople - my second favourite city in the whole of the AC franchise. I especially loved the atmospheric fog and its density.
* Ezio's personality, maturity and relationship with Sofia and Yusuf.
* Ezio's epicness.
* Yusuf

Neutrals:
* Bombs - didn't add much other than to have fun. But they did provide fun.

Cons:
* Felt the ending was anti-climatic. We were told that Altair's Library housed an item capable of anding the Assassin-Templar conflict but it turned out to be yet another apple that Ezio ended up leaving behind anyway (I understand why he did).
* Somebody who is very nearly pensioner age sprinting across rooftops like he did when he was 17.
* Would have liked to have seen more of Yusuf.
* My favourite game of the series so far has been AC2 because history was at the centre of its story. The Pazzi Conspiracy and all of its conspirators were all real people as was the Battle of Forli and the Bonfire of the Vanities. Shahkulu's Rebellion was ignored and both his and Ahmet's dates of death were changed.
* Desmond's memories - not a fan - I just don't like first person and have never bought a first person game and never will.
* Den Defence - again not a fan - I have never been a fan of tower defence and this didn't change anything. If I know Ezio like I know Ezio he would have jumped on top of the siege engines and attached a sticky splinter bomb to them to blow them to oblivion.
* Lack of side missions and random events.

All-in-all it is my second favourite game in the franchise behind AC2 and I give it a review score of 7/10.

xCr0wnedNorris
12-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
* Somebody who is very nearly pensioner age sprinting across rooftops like he did when he was 17.
Why don't you go on ahead and take a gander at this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5om6gbDwA8). Just because he's older doesn't mean he should be weak or frail. He's led an extremely physically active lifestyle, so it makes sense that he's still physically fit even later in his life. Don't even get me started on his TWCB genes, which could increase his physical capabilities even further. But other than that, the Desmond Sequences, and Den Defense thing, I agree. Although I'd give this game an 8.5/10.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 09:18 AM

My comment to anyone commenting on his age is that you knew full well he was 51 in this game (older), so there shouldn't be any criticism [either way] if you make the leap to buy it anyway.

I read one guy on a store Review say he didn't like some old, slow guy. So I commented that he's only 51 - not 70 and that Ezio's not Slow in ACR at all w/ that awesome hookblade gizmo. So as far as I'm concerned, Ubi did brilliantly w/ the Hookblade addition, it should have ended any complaints about his speed or any slowness bcuz he was using a gadget that helped him.

Ubi can't win for losing no matter What they do - he's either too old & decrepit for a Protagonist or it's unbelievable that he's so fast & agile.

I can't validate either complaint.

Although I'd give this game an 8.5/10
Just for the fun of the missions alone (much less restrictive - more planning involved for me & some w/ the Indiana Jones feel to them), the hookblade addition, Recruit upgrading + Master Assassins, the bombs, nice Soundtrack...
I give it a Solid 9/10.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 09:24 AM
-Shahkulu -

This was one character I'd love to have seen worked up more and the battle amped up - much harder.
I know Ezio's Superman but this guy was very bloodthirsty & sadistic.
I wish more was done w/ his character.

twenty_glyphs
12-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree with most of your points. I haven't said enough positive things about the game, but this was still a good game that has provided a lot of entertainment and will continue to provide it in the coming year. I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of the game. The hookblade was a nice addition that sped up the navigation in a fun and meaningful way. Ezio's core story was a good story that unfortunately didn't have enough development time to explore deeper. Constantinople is definitely a great city, and they did a good job of making the different districts feel unique and added a lot of detail to the crowd.

Having said that, your cons line up with mine a lot -- the game was good but not great. The lack of side missions and the "random events" they talked about really showed how short the game was. Brotherhood's main story was a similar length, but there was more gameplay happening in 2012 and so much side content to fill it out. Saying that side content is integrated into the main story is silly, since by definition it's no longer side content. Bombs were fun but felt kind of empty. I felt like there needed to be more types of effects to increase their variety. The story just didn't get deep enough (like seeing more of Yusuf) or involve enough history like AC2. I think this is simply a result of only having a year of history to play with, since they already used up the decades of history they had with Ezio's early life. And the ending was very nice the way Alta´r, Ezio and Desmond's destinies aligned, but it did feel rather anticlimactic when there was nothing major to be found in Alta´r's library.

Above all, the bugs in the game really pull it down. You can tell it's just not a polished product the way the other games have been. For the first time in an AC game, the bugs have affected my enjoyment of playing the game and pulled it down in overall quality.

eagleforlife1
12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> -Shahkulu -

This was one character I'd love to have seen worked up more and the battle amped up - much harder.
I know Ezio's Superman but this guy was very bloodthirsty & sadistic.
I wish more was done w/ his character. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^ Agree.

HOIRiIZON
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
There have been threads from people who hate the game and a new thread has been made for people who loved the game. Personally, I liked it but I'm not one of those people who thinks that the light shines out of Ubisoft's arses and are immune to criticism. I've seen people getting flamed for sharing their opinion, however, I paid good money for it and therefore feel that I have just as much right to complain about it as I have to praise it.

Pros:
* Story - decent story with nice twists in terms of **spoilers** <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Barleti's assassination and Ahmet's allegiance with the Templars</span>end of spoilers**
* Gameplay - liked the addition of set pieces to the missions, particularly sequences 1 and 8.
* Constantinople - my second favourite city in the whole of the AC franchise. I especially loved the atmospheric fog and its density.
* Ezio's epicness.
* Yusuf

Neutrals:

Cons:
* Felt the ending was anti-climatic. We were told that Altair's Library housed an item capable of anding the Assassin-Templar conflict but it turned out to be yet another apple that Ezio ended up leaving behind anyway (I understand why he did).
* My favourite game of the series so far has been AC2 because history was at the centre of its story. The Pazzi Conspiracy and all of its conspirators were all real people as was the Battle of Forli and the Bonfire of the Vanities. Shahkulu's Rebellion was ignored and both his and Ahmet's dates of death were changed.
* Desmond's memories - not a fan - I just don't like first person and have never bought a first person game and never will.
* Den Defence - again not a fan - I have never been a fan of tower defence and this didn't change anything. If I know Ezio like I know Ezio he would have jumped on top of the siege engines and attached a sticky splinter bomb to them to blow them to oblivion.

All-in-all it is my second favourite game in the franchise behind AC2 and I give it a review score of 7/10. This was the biggest disapointment of 2011, what was ubisoft thinking? Assasins creed 2 and Brotherhood were great games and then they gave us this garbage. Im tired of these big game companies making great games and then trying too pump out a game every year and this is the result a terrible game. They had a great story going and the gameplay was great in Brotherhood and then they give us a linear crappy city that graphicly looks worse than part 2, and then whats up with Lucy? and the garbage portal missions? onced im screwed by a game company i never buy another game from them bye bye UBISOFT

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 10:54 AM
- another Templar
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

InfectedNation
12-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by HOIRiIZON:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

Pros:
* Ezio's epicness.
* Yusuf

Neutrals:

Cons:

All-in-all it is my second favourite game in the franchise behind AC2 and I give it a review score of 7/10. This was the biggest disapointment of 2011, what was ubisoft thinking? Assasins creed 2 and Brotherhood were great games and then they gave us this garbage. Im tired of these big game companies making great games and then trying too pump out a game every year and this is the result a terrible game. They had a great story going and the gameplay was great in Brotherhood and then they give us a linear crappy city that graphicly looks worse than part 2, and then whats up with Lucy? and the garbage portal missions? onced im screwed by a game company i never buy another game from them bye bye UBISOFT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

STOP POSTING THAT ALL OVER THE FORUMS.
Rage over.

SolidSage
12-12-2011, 11:59 AM
@Horizon
I respect your opinion and your decision to leave.....so.....can you go already.

OT: I don't think the sun shines out of Ubi's butt, but I do think they are the best production company currently out there. The list of awesome titles they are or have beenminvolved in is significant. R6, SC and AC alone are three of the BEST franchises out there.
(Just Dance is good too).

That said, I am inclined to be less harsh with my criticisms as I get older. I too was very demanding in earlier years, highly critical of every tiny thing, but as time passes it's easier to appreciate a quality product for being what IT is meant to be, rather than what I think it SHOULD be. Creed is Creed. Some criticize it for not changing enough, others for changing too much, and others still for many other things.

For me, if a game compliments the previous titles, continues the legacy and continues to deliver the quality game play that initially enthralled me, then it has done it's job. I can't hate on it simply because I want there to be more of it.

Anyway, I reviewed it in the stickied thread and gave it a 10/10. Glitches are in EVERY game, the ones in ACR are easy to work around unlike the tunnel issue in ACB, and anyone remember the lost saves when leaving the Animus?
I haven't seen anything like that in ACR, it gave me the same stuff Creed has always given me, it improved the graphics, story and other elements, I didn't really see any areas that regressed or got worse and it still manages to make me want to play it ALL the time, just like the other games.
Managing THAT in the FOURTH entry just proves how good it STILL is.

In regards to the "Ezio is too old to do it" perspectives, I run, mountain bike, kayak and rock climb with some 50+ ers, they also hang glide (try lifting one of those things, let alone running off a cliff edge, piloting it and then doing run on landings in rough terrain) and I canot stress enough how capable they are at an advanced age.
Physical aptitude is less about the passing of years and more about how well you have maintained your vehicle DURING those years. Sure some of us might get brittle bones and joint problems, and that's a shame, but there are plenty of us that are going to be stronger in our 40's and 50's than we were before. People age differently, the human being is not a uniformed machine, identical to every other.
To those who think Ezio can't do it at 50 I would say, change your defeatist perspective. If YOU think it's not possible, then for YOU, it won't be.
It is going to be possible for ME though.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Ooh, a 10/10.
I was 9/10 only bcuz I wish more went on in the romance/relationship w/ Sofia, a few more missions, den defense needed work.

Minor stuff.

Riften
12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by HOIRiIZON:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

Pros:
* Ezio's epicness.
* Yusuf

Neutrals:

Cons:

All-in-all it is my second favourite game in the franchise behind AC2 and I give it a review score of 7/10. This was the biggest disapointment of 2011, what was ubisoft thinking? Assasins creed 2 and Brotherhood were great games and then they gave us this garbage. Im tired of these big game companies making great games and then trying too pump out a game every year and this is the result a terrible game. They had a great story going and the gameplay was great in Brotherhood and then they give us a linear crappy city that graphicly looks worse than part 2, and then whats up with Lucy? and the garbage portal missions? onced im screwed by a game company i never buy another game from them bye bye UBISOFT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Biggest piece of garbage of 2011? Are you serious? You obviously haven't played any games of 2011.

So, because YOU don't like tower defense means EVERYONE hates it? Sorry bud, but that's your opinion.

I don't understand whey people still complain about how bad Ubisoft are and that they release the same game every year etc... Sorry, its not like that.

What has always been the great thing about AC?
The ridiculously amazing story.
Is it still ridiculously amazing today? certainly...

What is the other amazing thing about AC?

Graphics.

Not only are the graphics amazing, all of the settings have been amazing

-The Holy Land
-Italy
-Rome
-Constantinople

Just the experience of exploring these wonderful settings alone is extraordinary, the graphics make it even better.

So, please give me a valid reason why this game is bad?

eagleforlife1
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by SolidSage:
Anyway, I reviewed it in the stickied thread and gave it a 10/10.

Hmmm...each to their own I suppose. I just think that there are games out there far more deserving of 10/10 scores. I have 100% synched ACR and have acquired every single trophy and have absolutely nothing to do. However, I have owned Red Dead Redemption (a masterpiece in gaming in my opinion) since day of release (May 2010) and have still yet to do everything in it (although very close; just got to complete some social club challenges).

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Having RDR myself, I wasn't fond of what they did w/ Marston at all - (& his wife was a whining skank. I had hoped he'd take Bonnie instead lol) but that about was a game killer, I thought his son was a little weasel... lol

But gathering ALL those endless plant combinations? All that riding everywhere? I like the game but alot of it is really repetitive and monotonous after awhile.
I much prefer AC.

SolidSage
12-12-2011, 09:07 PM
@Eagle
Yes, RDR was a 10/10 too, so was Arkham City, GoW3, all the other AC games and R6 Vegas way back when....some of the earlier R6's too.

All of these games delivered on their promise and achieved great things.

I don't rate them AGAINST each other, RDR isn't a competitor to Creed for me. It was an alternate evolution of GTA though, which is another 10/10 for me.
This makes it sound like I give everything a 10 but this list basically compromises my favorite games. Games that were supremely fullfilling when I first played them and continued to satisfy long after.
I'm not saying there weren't things that could be better in each of them, but they are products that aren't being developed for an individual, they are being built for society and as such, I rate them on their ability to appeal to everyone AND me.

It's like comparing a moped and a ducatie, the ducati is going to be much more thrilling and luxurious, but the moped is supposed to be value for money, so in that regard the moped achieves it's purpose perfectly and should be considered a success....unless it's a crappy broke down moped of course.
Creed is not being compared to a moped here, Creed would be Buell's 'Street Fighter' or Ducati's Hypermotard.

RDR could have been better, but that doesn't mean it wasn't 10/10.

I'm very fussy about my games now, I have limited time and there are only a few franchises that I play now. New franchises have to really inspire me to make it onto my play list. Some franchises get dropped.
Creed, ACR, owns ALL of my game time right now, and I still have stuff to complete in Gears and Batman....but I don't want to waste any of my precious Creed time on them yet. It did drop later so you could say that might have something to do with it, but it doesn't, Creed game play just hits the spot every single time.

Aaanyway, thats just me. I appreciate it for what it is, hope for new additions to improve it even further, and stay positive. In all honesty, all Ubi has done with Creed is either continue the awesomeness or improve it further. So if AC1 was a 10/10 how cou.d the others not be when they have just ADDED features? Obviously the story has to evolve and be different, so can't blame them for any of that unless it gets atrocious (hasn't).
Some players are getting tired of the formula or just EXPECT Creed to blow them away every single time like the first time, and it's these UNREALISTIC expectations that are tarnishing Creed as a product, not the workmanship or crafting of the game.

RDR was fun for a while, but I'm getting bored of horses. I want GTA5 now, and I want to play the whole game co-op like in San Andreas when you would go and pick your/his chick up to go on a date....Fully Autos and cops, doing it in the street, AWESOME!!! For some reason GTA/RDR co-op is still missing something, can't put my finger on it, but I think it's that it's too mode based, rather than letting you tackle story missions. RDR's DLC co-op missions were a step in the right direction, but as usual, not enough.

laterz

SolidSage
12-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah, Uncharted 3, big dissapointment for me. Was NOT a 10, so disgruntled with it that the franchise is dropped from my list. No real innovations, boring rehash story, and exotic game play got worse. So there you go, it's not all bees and honey for me.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 09:14 PM
RDR could have been better, but that doesn't mean it wasn't 10/10.

I'm very fussy about my games now, I have limited time and there are only a few franchises that I play now. New franchises have to really inspire me to make it onto my play list. Some franchises get dropped.
Creed, ACR, owns ALL of my game time right now, and I still have stuff to complete in Gears and Batman....but I don't want to waste any of my precious Creed time on them yet. It did drop later so you could say that might have something to do with it, but it doesn't, Creed game play just hits the spot every single time.

Aaanyway, thats just me. I appreciate it for what it is, hope for new additions to improve it even further, and stay positive. In all honesty, all Ubi has done with Creed is either continue the awesomeness or improve it further. So if AC1 was a 10/10 how cou.d the others not be when they have just ADDED features? Obviously the story has to evolve and be different, so can't blame them for any of that unless it gets atrocious (hasn't).
Some players are getting tired of the formula or just EXPECT Creed to blow them away every single time like the first time, and it's these UNREALISTIC expectations that are tarnishing Creed as a product, not the workmanship or crafting of the game.

RDR was fun for a while, but I'm getting bored of horses

I'm fussy about games becuz of my finances.

I've dropped one so far, but I never went on their forums & bagged on them. Some games change (or stay too much the same) & it's not always for you over time.

& this is again something I agree 100% with here on our expectations & demands and what happens with any franchise over time.

Look at relationships when they start & the longer you spend time with each other, the newness wears off if it goes long enough.

Not all of this is Ubi but they're easiest to blame.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RDR could have been better, but that doesn't mean it wasn't 10/10.

RDR was fun for a while, but I'm getting bored of horses

I'm fussy about games becuz of my finances.

I've dropped one so far, but I never went on their forums & bagged on them. Some games change (or stay too much the same) & it's not always for you over time.

AC takes up my gameplay mostly bcuz I'm waiting for new games for Cmas & I'm still not ready to get back into FPS.
I like something different now.

& this is again something I agree 100% with here on our expectations & demands and what happens with any franchise over time.

Look at relationships when they start & the longer you spend time with each other, the newness wears off if it goes long enough.

Not all of this is Ubi but they're easiest to blame. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SolidSage
12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
@Prodigurl
When you get a bit older the finances might not be such an issue. It's worse than I've made it sound too, because anything with a MP I have to buy 2 of, the wife is as in to it as me, so dueling 360's and flat screens. It's not a waste though, I'm not into nicotine or alcohol much. Money is for making the good times more gooder! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ACR has it's issues, dudes sinking in rooftops like it's quick sand, random glitchiness. But in an environement like the one they've created with all the things that are going on with AI, how can that NOT happen? That's inherent with programs and processing, and after that, how many times have you caught yourself getting peeved at a game 'not working right' only to find out later that YOU were doing it wrong? happens to me more than I like to admit, like with the throwing knives not throwing when I don't have any left, WTF?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Creed IS like a relationship, you're right, and I'm in LURVE with it, the real kind, not the wishy washy kind.

SolidSage
12-12-2011, 09:30 PM
@Prodigurl
(Sorry for double posting everyone else). I only visit the forums of games I really like too. So I can try to suggest improvements or thank them for making it.
In fact I only use this one and Splinter Cell Conviction, and I keep looking at the 'I am Alive' one because the game has me interested, like a fish on a hook. Got to much other stuff to do than visit sites of games I don't like so I can argue with folks....seems like an odd way to spend your free time....or make friends. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 09:57 PM
ACR has it's issues, dudes sinking in rooftops like it's quick sand, random glitchiness.

LOL, ya I caught that with one of the thieves on a rooftop. 3 were standing like normal & one guy was buried up to his chest in the roof trying to move around.

One guy at a little shop somewhere was stuck in the corner, screaming while his arms came wildly waving outside, thru the wall. Funny.
I don't care about that as long as it isn't everywhere and it wasn't.

Ya - one Altair mission I didn't see the path down to the village, I went up onto the next plateau w/ the Apple (escorting Mario's father) - I was fuming that there was nothing to do there & I couldn't go anywhere. I was sure it was a bug lol
No, I just didn't take a right outside the massive gate to go down the first path there.
DUH. lol

Ya, I can't take negative posting either. Life's too short & it's bad for your health.

SixKeys
12-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Speaking of NPCs glitching into buildings: one time I was spotted by a rooftop rifle guy. I decided to let one of my assassins take care of him for some quick XP points. I called the assassin and saw his white arrow signal moving behind the structure next to me, I assumed he was climbing up the side of the building. I waited and waited, the signal kept bobbing up and down and the rifleman started shooting at me. I cursed at my useless assassin, killed the guard myself and went to see if my recruit was stuck running up and down a ladder or something. I couldn't see him anywhere though, I ran all around the building, searched on the streets below. I could hear his grunts and still saw his signal bobbing up and down but the guy himself was nowhere to be seen. Finally I realized he was stuck inside the building, trying to run up the wall of someone's living room, most likely. I ran off and left him there, he may have settled down and married the owner for all I know. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ProdiGurl
12-13-2011, 03:15 PM
LOL
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I've had a few missions where when the assassins were done doing their assassinating, they were stuck & couldn't leave the area... just standing somewhere or trying to run thru a wall...

With all the work involved in these games it's a wonder that isn't all over the place continually.

Black_Widow9
12-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Please post in the Feedback Threads.
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>