PDA

View Full Version : Turn off the hud for a better game

midna1
11-17-2007, 05:35 AM
So I turned all the hud off and it makes the game better. So you wander the city or use the map for navigation. And without the clutter of the hud. Then you get the 70hr game not 15hrs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

midna1
11-17-2007, 05:35 AM
So I turned all the hud off and it makes the game better. So you wander the city or use the map for navigation. And without the clutter of the hud. Then you get the 70hr game not 15hrs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

DavidCaranci
11-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Do you use GPS or no HUD at all?

I've started to use no HUD... not having the GPS or using the map makes the game much tougher. Try to find that pickpocket victim or informant without using a flashing icon to tell you where it is...

forces you to truly investigate the city... find the town criers, look down alleys... makes it allot more fun. (in my opinion).

AirRon_2K7
11-17-2007, 08:03 AM
I got so annoyed when I tried an hour without the GPS... so I turned it on. No doubt I'll turn it off again once I get a bit more confident, but other than that, literally everything else is off. It's cool, 'cos when I'm about to die, everything goes blue, when I'm 'unseen' the screen flashes sci fi stuff and when I'm seen again the screen flashes red.

releaseO_o
11-17-2007, 08:35 AM
I turned off the sync bar at the begining of the game, but left everything else on. Without the sync bar I think the game is much better, I never thought of doing it without the gps cuz i thought i would never be able to find anything.

Sevryn08
11-17-2007, 08:52 AM
the only reason ive never turned my sync bar and gps off is cuz... i thought that u wouldnt know if they could see you or not while being chased, but apparently so, so ill turn it off. and if i have the sync bar on, i might as well have the gps on eh?

bobbylucifer
11-17-2007, 08:53 AM
i play with just the gps on and it looks so much better than with the rest of the hud on, theres so much less clutter and it just looks better

Sevryn08
11-17-2007, 09:13 AM
hell, im gonna try that now, turn off the whole hud. after all, ubisoft montreal did say that the game was designed for no hud. sounds fun...it's just unfortunate that ive already beaten the game WITH hud, although i can just go to memory blocks and play.. lol sweetz

hairygeek
11-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Played without the HUD for a couple of hours, but then turned it on again, i really like the HUD, even the button thing even though i don't use it anymore.

midna1
11-18-2007, 04:55 AM
It seems more credible without the hud. Like when you visit a real city you just have a paper map. And in AC there are enough landmarks to get your bearings. Like Jerusalem...just get on the rooftops and look for the Dome of the Rock. I dont know how geographically authentic the game is. Like Ubi could have put optional descriptions of the buildings or historical background like a sightseeing tour. Like HL2 orange box commentary nodes. Suppose you can look it all up on wiki. And Jade Raymond is so pretty.

AirRon_2K7
11-18-2007, 05:03 AM
Another thing I've noticed is that the game gives you hints as to where to go. Like, when I got some info on my next target *tiny spoiler - not 'sci fi' related* It told me to look for smoke *see it really was tiny* and I turned off my GPS, and found my target with relative ease... just by looking for smoke xD

Maybe this game HAS been well thought out.

midna1
11-18-2007, 06:34 AM
yeah the designers know what they're doing here. This is a game for the real fans. The navigation, combat and acrobatics are riddled with depth. Exploring the cities without hud is amazing.

avsrule247
11-18-2007, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by midna1:
Then you get the 70hr game not 15hrs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh... Turning off the HUD doesn't increase the time played in your game. It just makes the 70 hour game look prettier that's all. It is still 70 hours with or without the HUD.

Ghotten
11-18-2007, 06:40 AM
I play with the GPS only. You know when you're going to die, you know when you've been spotted, and you know what weapon you're using, so there's no use for the HUD at all. in fact, I'm going switching off my GPS right now xD

midna1
11-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Its just disappointing that so many people are thrashing the game in 15hrs and not playing it properly... i.e. button mashing for the combat and not exploring the cities. When you know the cities like the back of your hand. When you know your surroundings. Then you have the advantage http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

IHS_Spitfire
11-18-2007, 06:41 AM
The main game didn't take me over 3 days to complete... so it isn't 70 hours.

Sidney1932
11-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Play the game how you will but the HUD off doesn't make a better game. It might make a longer game but after an hour or so of this I realized I was spending more time flipping between the map and main screen it wasn't changing anything and was in fact less immersive. Plus, I'm not sure how wandering the city aimlessly makes the game better. There's nothing that says you can't roam freely all the time.

My approach is to climb all the viewpoints in a district first. Get a feel for the area that way. I actually look from up high and not just synchronize. In the processes of looking and roaming from viewpoint to viewpoint you should get your really good feel for the city. Plus, before I actually do any of the "missions" I circle the entire area so I can spot escape routes and hidey holes to make my escape.

thetechnobear
11-18-2007, 08:09 AM
im playing just with the sync bar.
id like to turn that off but not sure how id cope with
a) knowing if the guards where informed (red vs. yellow status)
b) being 'watched'

i guess (b) is fine as you get shouted at if they are hostile

but (a)? is there something about there stance that tells you?

how would you know to blend, if you didnt know if the guards were hostile or not?

avsrule247
11-18-2007, 08:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IHS_Spitfire:
The main game didn't take me over 3 days to complete... so it isn't 70 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was just an example, you have a brain for a reason so use it.

ScytheOfGrim
11-18-2007, 08:12 AM
I tried playing the game with the HUD off, but I don't like the emptiness of the screen.

This is proof of when I said that I really loved the HUD of the game! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe in a not too distant re-playthrough... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

avsrule247
11-18-2007, 08:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thetechnobear:
im playing just with the sync bar.
id like to turn that off but not sure how id cope with
a) knowing if the guards where informed (red vs. yellow status)
b) being 'watched'

i guess (b) is fine as you get shouted at if they are hostile

but (a)? is there something about there stance that tells you?

how would you know to blend, if you didnt know if the guards were hostile or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When it is yellow you can basically do whatever you want. Yellow just means that there is a guard in the area, other then that there is no special effect. You can tell when it is red because you will hear a beeping noise.

lucas107
11-18-2007, 08:32 AM
I play without hud or much of the map cause i cant read it on my garbage tv anyway. the map just looks like a bunch of blur for almost all the icons but i can make out the burrow and altair sometimes

thetechnobear
11-18-2007, 08:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avsrule247:
When it is yellow you can basically do whatever you want. Yellow just means that there is a guard in the area, other then that there is no special effect. You can tell when it is red because you will hear a beeping noise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, it beeps even if they have not yet noticed you!?
excellent, i can probably ditch the syncbar then.

funny, i dont miss the GPS at all,
but miss the weapon select to know # knives and what weapon is current (often end up reselecting just in case)

i have found since i ditched the GPS you tend to learn the city better, i think i look around more, rather than just look at the GPS and follow it!