PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft gauges

Mad-Harry
12-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi. Is there a chance that the gauges in most of the planes can be made readable. As a real-time pilot I am used to having the gauges to monitor the various functions. Perhaps they are to scale as per the real planes. However in a Sim (with exceptions) I cannot be in cockpit view and monitor the gauges as I am asked to do on page 18 of Pacific Fighters. Yes I know I can use the delete key to get a closeup but then I am not in control of the plane. The SpeedBar does not read to the exact amount of Height or Speed so is not reliable. The no cockpit view shows only height above ground AGL and not ASL. Apart from these moans I am more than happy to fly your Sims. Delighted would be a more appropriate word. Harry. RAF_Grover.RAF662

jeroen-79
12-20-2004, 04:21 PM
You don't need to zoom all the way in, you can zoom in smaller graduations.

Another option is to fly with a cockpit-off mode which shows a few generic instruments.
This is not suitable for things like enginetemps or fuel.

You could also use devicelink to get data out of the sim and into a cockpit of your own.

F16_Sulan
12-22-2004, 01:21 AM
I agree, in 1024x798 resolution alot of the numbers are hard to see and some can´t be seen even if zoomed in. It would be nice with a "bigger-numbers" mode, that would make all numbers on gauges larger and maybe brighter white or so...
That would be nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Alot of things would be nice... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LEXX_Luthor
12-22-2004, 01:39 AM
What I do is learn my guages ~very~ well, then I don't need to see clear numbers as much. Just the needle position is all you need sometimes. It helps alot.

I am running 1280x960x16 very fast and smooth with ATI~9200, and unreadable guages is one reason why I will never go back to low res...never http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Even with high res though, you still can't read many guages.

Also, I use mouse view, not joystick hat view, and I can *fairly* easily mouse my view down to any guage I need. They say TrekkieIR users have it good also here.

TX-EcoDragon
12-22-2004, 11:57 AM
I am not sure what sort of computer you have, or what settings you're running, but I would suggest that you verify that you are running either 2X anti-aliasing or none at all, and then increase your in game resolution one setting. I've found on most systems that usually the frame rates stay about the same with this trade off. AA blurs the screen to reduce the visual jagged edges on any angled line that the screen renders, increasing resolution actually has a similar effect, but it doesn't do this by bluring things. This increases the sharpness and clarity of the needles, graduations, and numbers on the panel.

You shouldn't need to fixate on the numbers to monitor things, in truth things don't change too rapidly in the sim. With time in the aircraft you will learn more or less how to operate the engine/mix.cowl flaps(radiatior) such that you can ovoid overheats and such with little more than an occaisional scan.

I have used a little zoom now and then on small engine instruments, to see more exactly what they indicate, but this is only in a few aircraft. I think this is a fine compromise, there are certainly many instruments that require me to lean around the cockpit to clearly view the gauge in the real world too. Perhaps when our sim offers this new 6DOF view system we can simply lean forward a little, just as you probably would in the real world.

I for one would not like to see big unrealistic instruments replace a more true to life panel, and with limits on monitors and such I think that would be the only other solution. Other sims out there often render panels that really look nothing like the actual aircraft panel. . . I think that is a poor choice given that under the right end-user settings there aren't many compromises needed to see what you need to. If running an older computer then these issues may remain. . . I hate to say it, but I think it would be a real mistake to lessen the realism of the sim to appeal to the lowest common denominator of computer technology.

Bearcat99
12-22-2004, 04:07 PM
It is things like this that make this sim much more enjoyable with a HOTAS setup that can be programed with multiple functions. You might want to try turning on your cockpit lights. It makes the gauges easier to see.

HansKnappstick
12-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Roger that... Cockpit illumination helps read the gauges. I fly with the lights on almost all the time - but I ask myself just how realistic it is.