PDA

View Full Version : how many die hards does it take . .

daswift12005
07-03-2007, 09:59 AM
hi all , ive been thinking, mostly i start crying after that for days but not this time , i actualy wonderd , yesterday a was in hl , as usual, and i saw that it was 'busy'. that means there where 800 something player in game . i mean , is there only 1 hl? or are there more ? and how many people play this wicked game elsewhere such as gamespy and more of these kinds??[800 worldwide aint much]
leaves me the q , if it is mainly hl , then it aint a very big game compared to the big massive selling ea stuff , therfore i kinda can see why bob sow aint getting rushed troughcouse a couple of thou copys wont make up for development i guess , am i wright on this thinking? or should i start crying ??

daswift12005
07-03-2007, 09:59 AM
hi all , ive been thinking, mostly i start crying after that for days but not this time , i actualy wonderd , yesterday a was in hl , as usual, and i saw that it was 'busy'. that means there where 800 something player in game . i mean , is there only 1 hl? or are there more ? and how many people play this wicked game elsewhere such as gamespy and more of these kinds??[800 worldwide aint much]
leaves me the q , if it is mainly hl , then it aint a very big game compared to the big massive selling ea stuff , therfore i kinda can see why bob sow aint getting rushed troughcouse a couple of thou copys wont make up for development i guess , am i wright on this thinking? or should i start crying ??

crucislancer
07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daswift12005:
leaves me the q , if it is mainly hl , then it aint a very big game compared to the big massive selling ea stuff , therfore i kinda can see why bob sow aint getting rushed troughcouse a couple of thou copys wont make up for development i guess , am i wright on this thinking? or should i start crying ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that don't play online, so you can't base sales on how many people are playing the game in HL. Until this weekend, I was an offline-only player, and I know there are quite a few others who fit in that category. It seems like you are making a comparison to something like World of Warcraft. Apples and Oranges, bub.

SoW: BoB will be done when it's done. Would you rather have a half-finished game, that crashes all the time and isn't optimized, or would you rather wait until Oleg and his team present a finished, polished, kick-*** game?

I'll wait, thank you. I have plenty to occupy me until then.

slappedsilly
07-03-2007, 10:18 AM
daswift12005, I've wondered the same thing. There's 300 million people in the US alone. 800 worldwide is pathetic. I wonder how many copies of 1946 were sold worldwide.

GIAP.Shura
07-03-2007, 10:23 AM
I am really glad those 300 million people aren't playing IL-2. Anyone who has seen the quality of players in WoW knows what I'm talking about.

daswift12005
07-03-2007, 10:28 AM
exactly , tru what crusislancer says bout it not being a good indication , but for instance the fifa 2007 game has got millions sold , same as colin mcray dirt , 1 week out 40000copys gone , and yes i like a good developed game , but the other rushed games aint bad , theyre just gold man , ea makes more mony on a new fifa edition then a blockbuster movie ever did , and the development team is enormous , massive amounts of people work on it . im not saying anything bout oleg or the new bob , but i am saying that it is a bit weird that in spring 2006 they said it would be out in the summer , we r 1 year beyond that and still it aint out , how long does it take ? or r there other probs ? pls note ; i am not complaining , i am just questioning a strange story

carguy_
07-03-2007, 10:42 AM
This shows that the game is close to reality.

Face it,not everyone can be a pilot.Most people are just stupid.You don`t give a plane to an idiot.This game`s hard man.With proper practice just about anyone can fly and die.Only the elite flies on hundreds of missions with 9-20 deaths caused by random mistakes.But it takes practice.I never interested any of my gamer friends with IL2 cuz they said IL2 is too hard.

daswift12005
07-03-2007, 10:50 AM
i agree on ya there mate. what u say weeds out a lot of people , but for the group of people looking for more then rcade [like us] this game rocks , you only see that when you take the hassle of looking into it a bit better . but i cant believe that it seems to be so few , a game wich is the same as this as for being a sim and not easy is ms flightsim generation x , it gets sold huge man , it is over here still 59 euros , the same prise as they started with , i saw il2 46 in the shop last week for 14,99 . just released it was i think 44 or 49 euros .

-HH-Quazi
07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Actually, and this was the last figures I read, onliners only make up 10% of the end users of this sim.

crucislancer
07-03-2007, 10:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daswift12005:
exactly , tru what crusislancer says bout it not being a good indication , but for instance the fifa 2007 game has got millions sold , same as colin mcray dirt , 1 week out 40000copys gone , and yes i like a good developed game , but the other rushed games aint bad , theyre just gold man , ea makes more mony on a new fifa edition then a blockbuster movie ever did , and the development team is enormous , massive amounts of people work on it . im not saying anything bout oleg or the new bob , but i am saying that it is a bit weird that in spring 2006 they said it would be out in the summer , we r 1 year beyond that and still it aint out , how long does it take ? or r there other probs ? pls note ; i am not complaining , i am just questioning a strange story </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those games appeal to the mass market more then something like a fight sim. Again, apples and oranges. There's no comparison. Sports games will outsell a military themed flight sim any day, since sports is one of the most popular pastimes in the world. One of the most popular sports in the world is Football/Soccer.

Don't forget, EA used to publish the Janes flight sims, most of which were high quality, popular games, but they dropped them. Why? They don't sell as well as some of the other titles in their stable.

Flight sims have always been a niche market. Ask ten people on the street about computer games, the answers will usually include references to the console games or a big seller on the PC, like Half-Life or WoW. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. Granted, IL-2 get's new players all the time, thanks to word of mouth, a good review, or a desire to try something new.

EA has the resources to have a huge development team, and they can get games out fast that way. They've been around for long enough to do that. Same for MS. Oleg and team are small compared to that. Just be patient. It will happen. There is plenty of life left in IL-2 until then. Lot's of online opprotunities, and with the avalanche of single player campaigns out there, and the mind boggling number of flyable planes, you should be plenty occupied until SoW: BoB comes out. Just look at mission4today........I downloaded 44 campaigns over the last month, and I've only played 7 of them all the way through. I'll be happy for a long, long time.

GIAP.Shura
07-03-2007, 12:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:
This shows that the game is close to reality.

Face it,not everyone can be a pilot.Most people are just stupid.You don`t give a plane to an idiot.This game`s hard man.With proper practice just about anyone can fly and die.Only the elite flies on hundreds of missions with 9-20 deaths caused by random mistakes.But it takes practice.I never interested any of my gamer friends with IL2 cuz they said IL2 is too hard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe you could say that only masochistic idiots would spend all that time getting killed by random mistakes, playing a game that is too hard. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif