PDA

View Full Version : Blohm-Voss and assymetrical airplanes

HansKnappstick
12-22-2004, 05:29 AM
Gents,

last time fooling around on internet I found a page of

www.luft46.com (http://www.luft46.com)

with experimental/unfinished designs of the Third Reich military aviation. Among them, I discovered some projects by Blohm und Voss, who apparently specialized in assymetric airplane concept. Now, the very idea of an assymetrical airplane puzzles me. I just cannot see but disadvantages here:
- design difficult to calculate
- complicated in production and maintenance
- controling such a plane would be rather counterintuitive, methinks
- a possibly terrible behaviour of a damaged airplane
- situations like dropping the bomb would influence the aerodynamic properties of the plane much more that in a conventional design

One of the advantages envisaged by the designers was a better field of vision. Now, isn't it overstreched? A usual two-motour plane would do equally well in that respect.

Could more knowledgeable forum members comment on this?

Was any of the assymetrical planes ever built and flown?

Disclaimer.
Blohm-Voss is a trademark of Blohm und Voss deign bureau. The author of this post is not affiliated with this bureau and is not promoting any products related to aviation.

HansKnappstick
12-22-2004, 05:29 AM
Gents,

last time fooling around on internet I found a page of

www.luft46.com (http://www.luft46.com)

with experimental/unfinished designs of the Third Reich military aviation. Among them, I discovered some projects by Blohm und Voss, who apparently specialized in assymetric airplane concept. Now, the very idea of an assymetrical airplane puzzles me. I just cannot see but disadvantages here:
- complicated in production and maintenance
- controling such a plane would be rather counterintuitive, methinks
- a possibly terrible behaviour of a damaged airplane
- situations like dropping the bomb would influence the aerodynamic properties of the plane much more that in a conventional design

One of the advantages envisaged by the designers was a better field of vision. Now, isn't it overstreched? A usual two-motour plane would do equally well in that respect.

Could more knowledgeable forum members comment on this?

Was any of the assymetrical planes ever built and flown?

Disclaimer.
Blohm-Voss is a trademark of Blohm und Voss deign bureau. The author of this post is not affiliated with this bureau and is not promoting any products related to aviation.

JaBo_HH-BlackSheep
12-22-2004, 06:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
what do you mean?
difficult to calculate?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>- complicated in production and maintenance <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
why should it be difficult in production?
you need to change the factory's machines and stuff anyway if you want to build an AC that is different from the one build before in the same factory (eg switching from Bf109 to Fw190)
Maintenance has nothing to do with the design, at least not primary pretty much depends on the electronic/hydraulic stuff in the plane, reliability of the engine and such stuff, this is not influenced by asymetrc design.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>- controling such a plane would be rather counterintuitive, methinks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
the pilots who flew the plane actually said that it's behaviour was verry nice and the performance was pretty good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>- a possibly terrible behaviour of a damaged airplane <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i don't think that a damaged AC behaves gentil, at least not when parts of the wing-structure are missing, i think this is the damage you are referring to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>- situations like dropping the bomb would influence the aerodynamic properties of the plane much more that in a conventional design <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
what stops you from placing the bombs on the center of the A/C? this would be between the wing and cockpit-structure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
AFAIK RLM wanted a single engined recon plane.

Was any of the assymetrical planes ever built and flown? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugzeuge/blohm-voss/bv141_flug.jpg
http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugzeuge/blohm-voss/bv141.jpg
http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugzeuge/blohm-voss/bv141_1.jpg
http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugzeuge/blohm-voss/bv141_3.jpg

the flew but RLM rejected them because it's engine was to week, in fact they just disliked the design...

HansKnappstick
12-22-2004, 06:32 AM
First of all, thank you for the info and comments!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JaBo_HH-BlackSheep:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
what do you mean?
difficult to calculate?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a symmetrical aircraft, the aerodyn. forces act symmetrically, if we forget of the torque and other prop. related effects. Here (with a BV) you have to care for the center of aerodyn. forces to be in line with the gravity center. Also, I think ailerons on asymmetric wings should be asymmetrical also - but how does this asymmetry change when the ailerons are used (deflected) ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>- complicated in production and maintenance <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
why should it be difficult in production?
you need to change the factory's machines and stuff anyway if you want to build an AC that is different from the one build before in the same factory (eg switching from Bf109 to Fw190)
Maintenance has nothing to do with the design, at least not primary pretty much depends on the electronic/hydraulic stuff in the plane, reliability of the engine and such stuff, this is not influenced by asymetrc design.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Till now, we were producing twice as many wheels as propellers. Now we must manufacture propellers, left wheels, and right wheels.

Also, instead of copying the left-spar-pressing machine from the right-spar-pressing machine we must build both of these machines from scratch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>-
what stops you from placing the bombs on the center of the A/C? this would be between the wing and cockpit-structure.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Which center?

-----

so, it was BV 141. What year was it?

Thank you once more.

Aaron_GT
12-22-2004, 07:50 AM
In theory you could build a model for this sort of thing in X-Plane and see how it flies.

avimimus
12-22-2004, 09:09 AM
There is already a model BV.141 in x-plan since version 5.x