PDA

View Full Version : Myst V crashes

KrystalPi
09-14-2005, 11:06 AM
I did check and do fullfill the minimum requierement but the game crashes before it begins
The detection tool says:
"Your system is compliant to all the minimum requirements and the recommended requirement to be able to play the game perfectly."

But the game crashes imediately with this message:
"Main Branch - Built 7/19/2005 at 1:46 PM has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I installed all the latest drivers and even tried to change the graphics card from ATI Radeon Asus 9600 to Nvidia GeForce4. I reinstalled the program three times om different harddiscs. No problem with directX.
I tried to ask the support, but there was no answer.(yet)
Configuration: Pentium 4, 2X 2.64GHz, 768Mb ram, XPPro, Nvidia 4 Geforce 64Mb ram OR Ati Radieon ASUS 9600 with 128 mb.

any ideas - anybody?

thanx in advance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(uh and I look so much forward to play the game..)

/Krystal

KrystalPi
09-14-2005, 11:06 AM
I did check and do fullfill the minimum requierement but the game crashes before it begins
The detection tool says:
"Your system is compliant to all the minimum requirements and the recommended requirement to be able to play the game perfectly."

But the game crashes imediately with this message:
"Main Branch - Built 7/19/2005 at 1:46 PM has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I installed all the latest drivers and even tried to change the graphics card from ATI Radeon Asus 9600 to Nvidia GeForce4. I reinstalled the program three times om different harddiscs. No problem with directX.
I tried to ask the support, but there was no answer.(yet)
Configuration: Pentium 4, 2X 2.64GHz, 768Mb ram, XPPro, Nvidia 4 Geforce 64Mb ram OR Ati Radieon ASUS 9600 with 128 mb.

any ideas - anybody?

thanx in advance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(uh and I look so much forward to play the game..)

/Krystal

Heimdall_G
09-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Is it the Myst V demo or the full game with which you're having problems?

KrystalPi
09-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Sorry that I did'nt specify; Its the full game, collectors edition. Just arrived yesterday.

KrystalPi
09-14-2005, 03:34 PM
And I just downloaded the demo game. It works fine...

Almlys
09-15-2005, 10:56 AM
When it crashes?

After or before the message that says that Myst 5 is being loaded?

Can you see an animated cursor of a spinning CD at the same time that your drive is reading the DVD?

KrystalPi
09-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi!
no spinning CD. BUT the support team at ubisoft.com just helped me out. a small piece of software was the deamon...DEAMON tools.
kick it out and everything works - amazing stuff - now I'm playing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif!!!

harbinger1080
10-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I am getting the exact same message as you... I had daemon tools installed, and disabled it. Same problem. Uninstalled it. Same problem. Checked my registry for any mention of it... Same problem. I am so disapointed, after not being able to play the demo because of some shockwave screw ups, I was ecstatic to see that my wife bought me Myst V for my birthday... and now this. I submitted my problem to Ubisoft along with my directX info... now they want my msinfo (which i'm not exactly keen on sharing, but did so anyway). If they want me to go through and start uninstalling and disabling OTHER software that I legally own and use to legitimate end so I can play a game, then my 12 year relationship with the Myst series will be coming to an abrupt and tearful end. I love these games... I just hope I can play this one.

Mr Zebe D
10-02-2005, 03:38 AM
You can play the demo by bypassing the macromedia (shockwave) problem. It works for the full game too. The macromedia is a configuration menu. If you don't use it the default language is English. You'd have to change that by editing a (n encrypted?) configuration file somewhere.

In Windows Explorer, view the contents of your Myst V DVD. Double-click on setupwin32.exe to install the game.

When that's done change the play shortcut from MystV.exe to eoa.exe.

Enjoy the game.

darrylhartwig
10-03-2005, 04:34 AM
Sorry, Mr Zebe D, I'm also having the same problem as harbinger1080, but using setupwin32.exe and changing the MystV to eoa.exe made no difference - still getting the Main Branch error.
I'm running XP with service pack 2. The game works on my other machine (albeit much more slowly) - it has XP with service pack 1. Could SP2 be the culprit?

Mr Zebe D
10-03-2005, 06:52 AM
I was inclined to think so initially, but I've run the full game now on my home pc which is SP2 and not had any problems (apart from no Shockwave which I bypassed).

My previous post is to work around the Macromedia Projector error. Isn't the Main Branch error when you try to run the game (ie beyond the menu)?

I can only suggest looking for some kind of log.

harbinger1080
10-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I tried running just eoa.exe, but that's actually one of the files generating the error. I hope I hear back from support today on this with a miracle fix, because the store where I bought it won't take this back, now that I opened it, if they can't...

Mr Zebe D
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
SP2 - are you using its firewall / antivirus? I'm not. I'm using Norton instead.

What are the software differences between your SP1 rig and your SP2 rig?

Does defrag help? Do you have Norton Utilities / Registry cleaner / Spybot Search and Destroy? (I'm wondering if total pc housekeeping would be of any use).

Do you have any virtual devices left? They'd need to go. (You said you'd disabled Daemon Tools. Try uninstalling it altogether).

harbinger1080
10-03-2005, 06:27 PM
I thought I'd post my "progress" with tech support here, in case somebody has an epiphany on how to make this bloody game work.

The update is that there is no update... they asked me to update all my drivers and make sure I have the latest BIOS and DirectX. Done, done and done, long ago. Still, I just get "Main Branch - Built 7/19/2005 at 1:46..."

I'm really about at my wit's end with this... since I can't return the thing (thanks a lot, paranoid return policies) I'm not entirely sure what I'm to do with this Myst V box and 3 colorfully labeled coasters...

And I always thught the frustration of making something in Myst work comes from INSIDE the game...

lavn
10-04-2005, 07:38 AM
I am also experiencing a crash. Mine happens during game play. I get to Direbo, the guy just finishes his sentence about "a place to rest" - and then the machine reboots.

I cannot continue the game, because it always brings me back to the same spot. I have a ticket open with support, but it's the same stuff - updated drivers,etc (which I have done) no help.

The support staff doesn't seem very helpful in this case.

I tried the eoa (don't really know what that is - but saw it posted here), same thing.

I love the entire myst series, I am so frustrated that I cannot play this one. The whole family plays it together.

Heimdall_G
10-04-2005, 08:22 AM
harbinger - try re-installing EoA as detailed in Myst V: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/6171031163), one of the stickied topics at the top of this Forum. Do as many of the steps as possible under Overall Windows and Hard Disk Tune-up With Win XP before re-installing.

lavn - if you haven't already done so, update your video driver, as detailed in Myst V: Installing Video Drivers With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/9071035163), another stickied topic. Also, download and install the latest sound driver from your PC, motherboard, or sound card manufacturer's website.

harbinger1080
10-05-2005, 06:18 AM
yeah, i've done about a dozen reinstalls and still have the problem, and my system is quite squeaky clean. still get the error.

i have noticed something... if i run the myst detection tool it says that my video card isn't up to snuff. i have an ATI 9700 Pro AIW (which it accurately detects) and it says the card doesn't meet the minimum requirement. i actually spotted this a few days ago, made triple sure i had the latest drivers, installed them again anyway, and it still says it isn't adequate. i paid it no mind because i these detection tools are generally worthless anyway... but perhaps this is the source of the error?

i noticed that there is another thread, here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/2881032163), where somebody is getting the same error. maybe the threads should be merged and stickied, since i suspect this problem is fairly common, and obviously stubborn. i'd also be curious to see the results of everybody's detection tool analysis so we can hopefully get this problem whacked and the game up and running!

Heimdall_G
10-10-2005, 11:15 AM
See also Myst V: Main Branch & Stack Violation Error Fixes With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/9141039563).

Jimduncker
10-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Random hang ups during game play vanished completely when I upraded to "RADEON Catalyst 5.10".
See sticky topics.
Jim