PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER PF review...

Bearcat99
03-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Dont know if this has been posted already or not..... Firing Squad PF Review (http://www.firingsquad.com/games/pacific_fighters_review/)

Bearcat99
03-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Dont know if this has been posted already or not..... Firing Squad PF Review (http://www.firingsquad.com/games/pacific_fighters_review/)

Jex_TG
03-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Seems like a fair review, though I got the game without reading anything about it. I play solely with friends online, cooperatively (sometimes dogfight), So I don't know about the SP games because I fly with real wingmen.

My only gripe is the lack of missions or the ******edly long flight times to get to your target during campaigns. Fortunately it appears there are progs out there that edit the mission files to make the flight time shorter.

I think a big thanks is in order and goes to the modding community.

Software devs make games, modders finish them off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dazza9806482
03-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Actually fairly on the button.

PF did little to recify some of the essential newb unfriendliness of FB and IL2. I love the games and once you spend a bit of time researching the nuances it is gripping. I think maybe the reviewer misses the point of the immersiveness of flying in formation and such though.

I recently got my mate into il2 by designing brief FMB missions we could play over a direct IP. He is absolutely in awe of the game, of its action and unpredictability.

Unfortunately it definately took someone to introduce him to its delights and this is something Maddox games needs to work on. Not everyone will persevere or have the inclination to read up and they will miss the genius of the game.

it is dry and it is unfriendly and the campaigns as standard absolutely suck. Try any one of the community campaigns and tell me that the standard setup is adequate.

Jex_TG
03-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Re-reading the first part of the review, it says soemthing like, "It's still hard to learn even will the difficulty set to easy".

IMO I think that should be the case. If this was meant to be an arcade game, then yes, the FM should be rather basic, but this is a Simulation - therefore the FM's need to be complex because, funnily enough, that's what us simmers want.

Often the excuse for too complex FM's is that it turns people away. I disagree. If you want to do something, then you will do it by learning. I very much doubt that anyone here just got into there first vitual aircraft, without even reading the manual, and was able to take off, fly around and land again without any problems.

So why bother saying that the "FM's are too complex and people need easier stuff to learn or they'll be put off"? That's the whole point. That's what brings simmers to these games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
03-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Seems like a fair review for the stock game. I'm really looking forward to the final patch. Given the amount of time that's being put into it I have high hopes that it will fix a lot of the game's final glaring issues before the total move to BOB.

Ketalar
03-14-2005, 10:28 AM
I'd say it's a fairly decent review, but it doesn't sound like he thought PF was a sim, rather something like Secret Weapons over Normandie. I mean, what's the deal with the reviewer using Polish markings on all skins? And all screenshots while flying were taken in WonderWomanView(tm). There's also complaints about the patches, instead of thanking the dev team for improving and continuing to perfect their product. And what's this "...we still think the controls are way too touchy."? Did they read the read-me and try Oleg's recommended settings? Did they fiddle with the settings at all?

78% isn't bad, but you'd think someone writng a review for "FIRING SQUAD - Home of the Hardcore Gamer" would treat a sim as just that, and base their review on that.

wickedpenguin
03-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Heh - I liked when he called it "soulless", because it is that in every way.

For a simulation that represents such dramatic events in human history, there really is no emotion anywhere in it.

That's one thing I liked about Combat Flight Simulator 2 - it told the skeleton of a story through those comic-animated cut scenes. It gave a sense of place and time through acted dialog.

Now, I'm not saying Oleg should hire Stan Lee to draw cut-scenes for his games. That's just silly. But there are so many photographs, letters, and documents that can be used to add a real human element to the campaigns. The segments could be added between blocks of missions.

For instance, if we're talking about the Battle of Kursk, you could have a narrator talking about visiting the region as a child, while pre-war photographs are shown of the area. As the Narrator comes to the end, the pre-war photographs are replaced with pictures of the actual battle. He talks about how tired of war he is and wishes to go home. But then, as the segment closes, he makes it known that on a recon flight he flew over his aunt and uncle's old farm - only to find it burnt to the ground.

Now the mission starts - and you've got a personal score to settle.

It's cool and all to jump into a high performance fighter and wage battle against virtual opponents. However the immersion factor would rise would quite a bit by increasing the "character" of the game. You may even actually feel that you're fighting for something.

ytareh
03-14-2005, 11:14 AM
I thought the helmet and authentic IL2 literature gave the original game's start screen a nice bit of character...