PDA

View Full Version : Playing online

b34856
09-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Hi!,

A person I knew bought I-l2 so him and I could play it online against each other. So far, I am extremely frustrated http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif. I downloaded hyperlobby and I can see my name appear on the other computer (I have both of them on hand) when I host a game. However, no matter which computer I try it on, the connection times out.

Any ideas?

b34856
09-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Hi!,

A person I knew bought I-l2 so him and I could play it online against each other. So far, I am extremely frustrated http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif. I downloaded hyperlobby and I can see my name appear on the other computer (I have both of them on hand) when I host a game. However, no matter which computer I try it on, the connection times out.

Any ideas?

blairgowrie
09-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Do you have a router?

b34856
09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blairgowrie:
Do you have a router? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes.

blairgowrie
09-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Well you might have to Port Forward 21000. See here for a how to: http://portforward.com/routers.htm

b34856
09-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Help!

I tried everything! I port forwarded 2100 and all that and got it all set up and it still won't work. The worst part is that both computers will join anyone's game without a hitch except for each others. What am I doing wrong? I'm about ready to cry... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

AndyJWest
09-06-2010, 07:27 PM
That's 21000, not 2100. If you are just trying to fly against each other, you don't need to use HyperLobby at all, though this can be tricky to set up as you need to find the server's external IP address. Note that doing it this way, one PC starts up as the server, and the other one joins. I'll see if I can find some more help on this (I've done it myself, but forget all the details), but meanwhile check you have port forwarded 21000.

AndyJWest
09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
If you want to try connecting without using Hyperlobby, this is the way to do it -
from p45 of the manual onwards (Manual.pdf in the IL-2folder):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CREATING A SERVER
At minimum,you need a 28.8K modem connection
to your ISP for acceptable Internet play performance.
Before launching the server,you need to detect your server IP.Do this by running the com-
mand IPCONFIG.
•Win98 &gt; run Programs &gt; Dos prompt &gt; type IPCONFIG and read the IP ADDRESS.
•Win2000 &gt; run Programs &gt; Accessories &gt; Command Prompt &gt; type IPCONFIG and read
the IP ADDRESS.
Send this IP address to your friends.
For network play,launch the Pacific Fighters integrated server.You must choose Multiplayer in
the Main Menu,and then Create New Server.After that,you can proceed to the following
items:
• Name: Enter the name of your server.
• Description: Here you can list the map,time,weather,and other conditions and settings
you wish to use.Clients will see this string before the connection and decide which serv-
er to choose.
• Game Type: As mentioned previously,a Dogfight is air combat between live enemies.
Cooperative stands for cooperative mission fulfillment.
• Max.Players: The maximum number of players on a server,which ranges from 2 to 32
in a Dogfight or up to 16 in Cooperative.Naturally,a larger number of players makes
more serious demands on your hardware.
• Password: Use this item if you want to create a game only for people you know.
Multiplayer sessions can be locked with a password to keep stray gamers away.To
change your password,press the Change button.
Once you have set the above parameters,click the Create button and your server will be creat-
ed.The next step is choosing your mission.You can load any standard mission or a mission you
created with the built-in mission editor.In either case,all mission data will be sent to the clients.
After the mission has loaded,you can change the Difficulty settings.This can only be done on
the server.Clients get these settings from the server,and so they all have the same Difficulty
settings.
You then have to decide the home base and equipment for the host and clients.
Press the Fly button to begin play.
AFTER CONNECTING
Dogfight: Before you press the Fly button,you should choose the aircraft you wish to fly
(press Arming) and set the Convergence,Delay,and Fuel Quantity,as described in the Single-
Player section.The difference lies in the fact that here you can take a look at everything and
change the aircraft’s camouflage (if other skin variants are available),the face of the pilot,the
nationality,the regiment,the number of your plane,and more.(See additional features in the
Readme file in Windows:Start Menu &gt; Programs &gt; Ubisoft &gt; Pacific Fighters &gt; Read me.)
When you are through with these operations,go back to the previous menu,and on the map,
choose the home base from which you prefer to start playing (whether you start from home
base or in the air above it depends on the server’s Difficulty settings).
Cooperative: In this mode you are taken to the
“waiting hall,”where everyone gathers and waits
for the mission.The mission is then chosen (this is
done from the server) and all agreements between
the players are set.For these purposes,you can use
a built-in chat or voice chat.
You should choose an aircraft or gunner seat (if
available) that has been previously agreed upon
with other players.The gunner/pilot seat you have
chosen will be shown to you and the other players
before the start of the mission.You will also see all free or occupied aircraft at this time.
When everything is settled and chosen,press the Fly button.The mission starts from this
point for all players connected to your server.
Note: All the Difficulty settings can only be set on the server.Other players can read them by
pressing the Difficulty button,but cannot change them.Thus,the same level of difficulty is
set for all players.
TROUBLESHOOTING
Some PCs may have several connection devices or some rare Internet software.In rare
instances the game may be unable to recognize the active device and IP address you are
using to connect to the Internet.To get around this problem,proceed as follows:
1.Start il2setup.exe and select the Network section.
2.Make sure you have selected the right connection type (it must correspond to your con-
nection device).
3.In the IP combo box,select the correct IP address (read the manual on how to detect IP
addresses).
4.In the Port field,enter the number used by your port between 1000 and 65000.By
default,it is 21000.This port is very important if you use firewall software.Firewall
software should be configured for this port.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
(Ignore the bit about ubi.com, this is no longer used at all, as far as I'm aware)

Note that if you have a router, you may not get the correct IP address from IPCONFIG - I'll see if I can find the easiest way to find this. Note also that your IP address will not usually remain constant over time - you need to check it after you boot your PC, and before you start the server - you can then e-mail it to your friend.

EDIT --- You can get your current external IP address from here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

b34856
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At minimum,you need a 28.8K modem connection </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How do I tell what type of modem connection I have? Sorry, I'm bad at that type of thing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

AndyJWest
09-07-2010, 04:50 PM
That's unlikely to be a problem these days. You'll most likely have broadband. In any case, if you managed to get online via Hyperlobby, you should be fine.

blairgowrie
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
If you want to test your connection speeds, go here: http://www.speedtest.net/

b34856
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I followed all the instructions and it still won't work! The thing that's weird is that they will join anyone's game but eachother's! Whenever they try and join eachother's the connection just times out but with anyone else's it's all just peachy cream.

Sorry if I'm starting to annoy people...

WTE_Galway
09-07-2010, 06:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by b34856:
Thanks for all the replies!

I followed all the instructions and it still won't work! The thing that's weird is that they will join anyone's game but eachother's! Whenever they try and join eachother's the connection just times out but with anyone else's it's all just peachy cream.

Sorry if I'm starting to annoy people... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK we understand that if one of your computers hosts a game that other one cannot join it.

What if some other third online player tries to join from a totally different computer?

b34856
09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't know, I only have on the two and as far as I know no one else has tried join mine.

blairgowrie
09-08-2010, 04:36 AM
You are not annoying anyone B34856. Most of us enjoy helping others out.

The only other thing might be your firwall. Which one are you using? Also, could you post some pics of the settings you used in your router?

Xiolablu3
09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Are you using two PC's both in the same house connecting via the same router?

Or are the PCs in different houses using different routers?

If he is using a router will not the host PC see his other PC as having the same IP address and prevent it from joining?

b34856
09-09-2010, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you using two PC's both in the same house connecting via the same router? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, they are both connected to the same router, ones a desktop and the others a laptop. If they are on the same router will that prevent the other one from joining, because as we live in the same house that will put a damper on our playing online plan? And for some reason I doubt my neighbors will let me forward their port 21000 and let me use their wireless http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Troll2k
09-11-2010, 11:01 AM
There is a way.I am not sure of the exact specifics.A look at the forums on the HyperLobby site might give you the details.

In the HL ini file, in the IL2 1946 section there ,are a couple of setting for 2 machines playing behind the same router( either client-server of client- client).I think it is the loopback but I can not be sure.