PDA

View Full Version : How to change a default skin?

Mike Dora
08-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Can anyone tell me how to change a default skin? Right now I'm flying a DCG Norway campaign with Beaufighters, and nothing against my Aussie friends, but it is a bit odd to be taking off from Peterhead with a gaggle of Jungle Green Beau 21's, complete with blue/white SEAC roundels. That's because this is the default skin for the Beau, hence my desire to change the default!

Thanks

Mike

Mike Dora
08-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Can anyone tell me how to change a default skin? Right now I'm flying a DCG Norway campaign with Beaufighters, and nothing against my Aussie friends, but it is a bit odd to be taking off from Peterhead with a gaggle of Jungle Green Beau 21's, complete with blue/white SEAC roundels. That's because this is the default skin for the Beau, hence my desire to change the default!

Thanks

Mike

WTE_Galway
08-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Default skins are locked to stop online players making all the opposition bright pink for easy recognition.

Just change the skin inside DCG for the campaign instead.

Mike Dora
08-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks, fixed.

Mike

TheCrux
08-29-2010, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Default skins are locked to stop online players making all the opposition bright pink for easy recognition.

Just change the skin inside DCG for the campaign instead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, makes me curious about a problem I had during the 4.08m game. For whatever reason later P-40's ( E and higher ) were rendered all pink. Couldn't fix it and had to uninstall/re-install the game to fix it. I had blamed it on having my "skin download" on while playing online, and it hasn't happened yet with 4.09m.

Bearcat99
08-30-2010, 06:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

Just change the skin inside DCG for the campaign instead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a mod which will allow you to change the default skins... and while I am sure that some putz probably tried that at some point... for the most part the mod has been used for the purpose which it was intended.

http://file.walagata.com/w/bearcat/il2fb_2008-07-05_02-32-48-98.jpg

BillSwagger
09-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Its actually a pretty useful mod for updating some skins that could use a bit of touching up.

Seems kind of silly to put all the money into a nice computer and a top of the line joystick and TIR system only to muck up the life like graphics with hot pink skins. I guess it depends if your more of an arcade FPS type, or an actual sim fan.
Luckily the mod for changing the default skins is not easily understood so it keeps would be 'advantage takers' away from playing with things they shouldn't.

Bill

Bearcat99
09-01-2010, 08:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
Luckily the mod for changing the default skins is not easily understood so it keeps would be 'advantage takers' away from playing with things they shouldn't.
Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it is even more fortuitous that most of the people in this community are honorable enough, and mature enough to not resort to such childishness..

BillSwagger
09-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Yes, when someone mentions the word 'mature', i either think of a CD account, or Il2.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Erkki_M
09-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Those Spitfairies are easier to spot when they're all bright neon-purple. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Mike Dora
09-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks Bearcat,

Where could I find that mod? While Galway's advice has solved the problem of Aussie Beaufighters over Norway (the poor chaps were shivering over there in their khaki shorts), I would still like to amend some of the other default skins.

Mike

Friendly_flyer
09-03-2010, 03:28 AM
There's a non-mod way of doing it too, if you do not care for modding the game. If you go into the DGN folder, you will find a campaign folder for the campaign you are playing. In the settings file for your campaign, you will find a line specigying squadron skin. This will be "default", but yu can chaneg it to ay skin you like (even pink ones).

This will only show in offline campaigns. The only squadron affected will be yours. If you have visits from a neighbouring squadron, they'll show up in jungle green.

I'll see if I ca dig up the description later today.

Friendly_flyer
09-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Ah, here we go:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
"Changing campaign skins

You can edit the DGEN config files to give specific skins to each squadron with the default campaign generator.

In the DGEN folder, there are a load of files. The [mapname].DB files set what squadrons and aircraft were flying in this campaign (and a lot of other stuff too). You can edit this to give custom skins.

For instance, the Barbarossa.DB file is default like this:

(loads of stuff)
[Planes]
62 I_153_M62
33 I_153P
34 I_16TYPE18
37 I_16TYPE24
6 SU_2
5 IL_2_1940Early
(then loads more planes and stuff)

This is telling DGEN that at the start of the campaign there are 62 I-153M62s in the theatre, 6 Su-2s etc.

I found nice no-markings skins for all these planes and renamed them as 'dc1.bmp' (for Dynamic Campaign Skin number 1) and 'dw1.bmp' (for Dynamic Campaign Winter Skin number 1), but I just did that for my convenience - there's no real need to rename the skins if you remember what the name of the skin is for each aircraft! I changed the file like this:

[Planes]
62 I_153_M62 dc1.bmp dw1.bmp
33 I_153P dc2.bmp dw1.bmp
34 I_16TYPE18 dc1.bmp dw1.bmp
37 I_16TYPE24 dc2.bmp
6 SU_2 $dc1.bmp $dw1.bmp
5 IL_2_1940Early dc1.bmp

The syntax for this is:
[number of planes at start] [internal name of aircraft, same as skin folder name] [summer skin filename] [winter skin filename]

A skin filename beginning with $ means that it has markings already printed onto the skin, and turns off the game's markings. I couldn't find a nice no-markings Su-2 skin at that time.

There's a lot more comprehensive info at the SimHQ.com Il-2 forum, by the way."
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>