PDA

View Full Version : IL2 FB/AEP/PF - the future??

Toten_Waffe
10-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I have been playing the IL2 series regularly since the very first IL2 Sturmovik arrived and have witnessed many changes (some good, some bad) and the sim is still one of the best games ever released.

However it seems its future is not very clear to me. From what I have read, Forgotten Battles and the Aces Expansion Pack are almost impossible to find in any shops these days which severely limits the amount of new players appearing on the scene. Also the new game, Battle of Britain that Oleg and crew are busily working on is supposedly an entirely new game engine and will not be compatible with the current FB/AEP/PF.

So what does the future hold for us existing players? What I personally would like to see happen is that as soon as Maddox/Ubi/whomever decide that FB/AEP/PF is to be no longer supported that all the coding/software and other information is released to the community who can then release as many mods as it takes to turn into into the product they feel it should be. To see this in effect all anyone has to do is look at the Operation Flashpoint community. The original game is over five years old, yet not a week still goes past where there are new aircraft/tanks/boats/weapons/missions and even mods to the games graphics and physics engine and the standard of these free addons is something to behold.

Does anyone else see this likely to happen and if so it would be the time for all the "the .50 cal guns dont fire how they should" "this planes roll rate is wrong" "this flight-model is incorrect" whingers to put their elbow grease where their mouth is and begin writing code like the wind...............

Toten_Waffe
10-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I have been playing the IL2 series regularly since the very first IL2 Sturmovik arrived and have witnessed many changes (some good, some bad) and the sim is still one of the best games ever released.

However it seems its future is not very clear to me. From what I have read, Forgotten Battles and the Aces Expansion Pack are almost impossible to find in any shops these days which severely limits the amount of new players appearing on the scene. Also the new game, Battle of Britain that Oleg and crew are busily working on is supposedly an entirely new game engine and will not be compatible with the current FB/AEP/PF.

So what does the future hold for us existing players? What I personally would like to see happen is that as soon as Maddox/Ubi/whomever decide that FB/AEP/PF is to be no longer supported that all the coding/software and other information is released to the community who can then release as many mods as it takes to turn into into the product they feel it should be. To see this in effect all anyone has to do is look at the Operation Flashpoint community. The original game is over five years old, yet not a week still goes past where there are new aircraft/tanks/boats/weapons/missions and even mods to the games graphics and physics engine and the standard of these free addons is something to behold.

Does anyone else see this likely to happen and if so it would be the time for all the "the .50 cal guns dont fire how they should" "this planes roll rate is wrong" "this flight-model is incorrect" whingers to put their elbow grease where their mouth is and begin writing code like the wind...............

Chivas
10-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I think Oleg will enable third parties to provide new updates. I don't think you will see individuals being able to tinker with the FM etc. That will be the end of the online community. The IL-2 on-line community will slowly die anyway, as they transfer to BOB and its updates.

Most people will move on to the more immersive experience of the latest flight sim. Those that stay with old tech games are usually people who enjoy making mods and adjusting the game to their personal wants. Judging by the forums most people will moved on.