PDA

View Full Version : Ramjet boosted I-16

WWMaxGunz
03-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I understand there was such a thing successfully tested.
It was fast but also a fuel hog which is why only tested.
Also that other Russian prop fighters were tested with rocket or ramjet boosts.
Also that other Russian rocket, prop and rocket, prop and jet, and jet only sweptwing
planes we don't have now had gone to various stages of completion and testing.

If Stalin had not screwed around with aircraft designers, the ones not just shot due
to his paranoia (1st time 1933), that Russian aircraft would have been far more
advanced.

Maybe some day we get some of those?

Whatever, there were also the Japanese jets and rocket planes that did test okay and
whole production lines were found in deep caves.

And then there was US projects; 1st Northrop Flying Wing was fighter size, the Zimmerman
Flying pancake (there was a German one with likewise same wing shape but not props at the
ends of the wings which are said to reduce tip voricies), the XP-55 and the XP-75 that I
have an old friend that worked on those before they were cancelled.

Maybe late in SOW series, an Oleg's Secret Weapons Addon like the Jane's series had? LOL!

WWMaxGunz
03-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I understand there was such a thing successfully tested.
It was fast but also a fuel hog which is why only tested.
Also that other Russian prop fighters were tested with rocket or ramjet boosts.
Also that other Russian rocket, prop and rocket, prop and jet, and jet only sweptwing
planes we don't have now had gone to various stages of completion and testing.

If Stalin had not screwed around with aircraft designers, the ones not just shot due
to his paranoia (1st time 1933), that Russian aircraft would have been far more
advanced.

Maybe some day we get some of those?

Whatever, there were also the Japanese jets and rocket planes that did test okay and
whole production lines were found in deep caves.

And then there was US projects; 1st Northrop Flying Wing was fighter size, the Zimmerman
Flying pancake (there was a German one with likewise same wing shape but not props at the
ends of the wings which are said to reduce tip voricies), the XP-55 and the XP-75 that I
have an old friend that worked on those before they were cancelled.

Maybe late in SOW series, an Oleg's Secret Weapons Addon like the Jane's series had? LOL!

LEXX_Luthor
03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Ramjet I-16 worked very well, but (1) the fuel consumption was high but that is like any early jet. But more important, (2) the performance penalty with ramjets off was considered excessive. Same with the ramjet I-152, I-153 and all others including La-7, La-9, and La-9 with pulsejets, etc...

The last one got a good 130km/hr speed boost, but horrible vibration (pulsejet) as well as jet-off performance penalties.