PDA

View Full Version : Major New Mod: SH3 Commander Now Available.

Pr0metheus 1962
06-03-2005, 09:58 PM
SH3 Commander Mod Now Available.

Get it here: www.beerymod.com.

This mod allows players to input data into Silent Hunter III based on the date, the flotilla, or the U-boat type currently in use in a career, or to load files to simulate a particular date for a single mission. In order for the mod to work, the game has to be loaded via the SH3 Commander.

The mod contains a special loading program which loads the necessary files and from which the game can be launched automatically.

Currently, the mod is only configured for use with the Real U-boat Mod (it works with version 1.22 or 1.30), but it can be configured to work with any version of the game and any mod. Currently, it contains the following:

NewsMod: this gives players a month-by-month run-down of the major events of the war. This news report appears in-game as you prepare for your next patrol. These reports are in English or German, depending on the text language you choose when configuring the game options. It also includes maps which appear in-game, and which change to show Axis-held territory at certain key points during the war.

RadioMod: this gives players actual radio broadcasts at the time they were broadcast. These broadcasts can be heard on the gramophone.

The mod also includes different crush depths for the Type VIIC and the VIIC/41. All you have to do is load a campaign in the SH3 Commander and it will automatically configure the crush depth for the type of U-boat that's in use for that career.

Finally, the mod includes specific start dates for boats in certain flotillas. No more do we have to accept a generic start date for a certain U-boat. Now each flotilla can get a certain boat on its correct historical date.

Please be sure to read the readme file, as it gives important information on how best to use the mod.

Here is a screenshot from the German version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Beery/CampaignA.jpg

I wish I could show you more, but the radio stuff doesn't translate to a picture. You simply have to hear it.

SH3 Commander by Jaesen Jones.
NewsMod maps and text by Beery.
German translations by Nico71.

Pr0metheus 1962
06-03-2005, 09:58 PM
SH3 Commander Mod Now Available.

Get it here: www.beerymod.com.

This mod allows players to input data into Silent Hunter III based on the date, the flotilla, or the U-boat type currently in use in a career, or to load files to simulate a particular date for a single mission. In order for the mod to work, the game has to be loaded via the SH3 Commander.

The mod contains a special loading program which loads the necessary files and from which the game can be launched automatically.

Currently, the mod is only configured for use with the Real U-boat Mod (it works with version 1.22 or 1.30), but it can be configured to work with any version of the game and any mod. Currently, it contains the following:

NewsMod: this gives players a month-by-month run-down of the major events of the war. This news report appears in-game as you prepare for your next patrol. These reports are in English or German, depending on the text language you choose when configuring the game options. It also includes maps which appear in-game, and which change to show Axis-held territory at certain key points during the war.

RadioMod: this gives players actual radio broadcasts at the time they were broadcast. These broadcasts can be heard on the gramophone.

The mod also includes different crush depths for the Type VIIC and the VIIC/41. All you have to do is load a campaign in the SH3 Commander and it will automatically configure the crush depth for the type of U-boat that's in use for that career.

Finally, the mod includes specific start dates for boats in certain flotillas. No more do we have to accept a generic start date for a certain U-boat. Now each flotilla can get a certain boat on its correct historical date.

Please be sure to read the readme file, as it gives important information on how best to use the mod.

Here is a screenshot from the German version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Beery/CampaignA.jpg

I wish I could show you more, but the radio stuff doesn't translate to a picture. You simply have to hear it.

SH3 Commander by Jaesen Jones.
NewsMod maps and text by Beery.
German translations by Nico71.

fizilbert
06-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Nice screenshot, Beeryus. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all your hard work. I'll be sure to d/l it promptly.

One question though, when I try downloading it, it's showing up as a *.7z document. WTH is that?

Pr0metheus 1962
06-04-2005, 09:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fizilbert:
One question though, when I try downloading it, it's showing up as a *.7z document. WTH is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a compression format like Winzip. It gets much better compression, so that's why I had to use it. You can find a link to the program on the downloads page of my website.

Carotio
06-06-2005, 03:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Finally, the mod includes specific start dates for boats in certain flotillas. No more do we have to accept a generic start date for a certain U-boat. Now each flotilla can get a certain boat on its correct historical date. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was in St. Nazaire, in 1941, and I couldn't get an IXB, even though it was available from 1939, and that with SH3 commander!
And in my German version the damage percent was removed from F7 screen, so if I was damaged, I couldn't tell, if it was seriously bad or worse!

Undid SH3 commander, switched to Lorient, there I could get an IXB, and the damage percent was back!

RadioMod, well, there ain't that many radio reports, you could go on a patrol for a month and not hear any at all.

And it loads up so f... slowly, that I just can't recommend it! Sorry!

Pr0metheus 1962
06-06-2005, 05:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carotio:
I was in St. Nazaire, in 1941, and I couldn't get an IXB, even though it was available from 1939, and that with SH3 commander! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume you're in 2nd Flotilla. 2nd Flotilla didn't get the IXB until October 1939. If you're using SH3 Commander that's when you'll get access to them. This is a feature, not a flaw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And in my German version the damage percent was removed from F7 screen, so if I was damaged, I couldn't tell, if it was seriously bad or worse! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a realism feature, not a flaw. If you're using the Real U-boat mod (it's built for RUb), you would have noticed that the damage percent is removed. Real commanders had no way of telling for sure how badly their hull was damaged unless it had a hole in it, and if it had a hole, they were already sinking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RadioMod, well, there ain't that many radio reports, you could go on a patrol for a month and not hear any at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true, but if you know where I can find more radio broadcasts, clue me in, because I've included all the ones I know of. Besides, if I had included a different radio broadcast for each month the download would have been enormous. I'll gladly do it, but I have no greater access to radio broadcasts than anyone else has.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And it loads up so f... slowly, that I just can't recommend it! Sorry! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It loads up slowly? What do you mean? It takes a second longer than the standard game.

Dominicrigg
06-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Removing the damage percentage seriously detracts from the realism. Commanders would know how damaged their boat was and from that get an idea of how safe it was to dive. In contemporary accounts you can see commanders who have been damaged badly realise they have a lower dive depth after checking the damage. Without the percentage you are now a blind captain with no feedback whatsoever on hull condition. Its only an abstract number anyhow and does not give you an accurate idea of the new dive depths.

Other then that nice work, but you should put in an option for the damage percentage.

fizilbert
06-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Do you honestly think Uboot captains got reports from their crew saying the hull integrity is 87%?

I have no problem guesstimating my hull damage. If I suffer heavy compartment damage, I know my hull integrity must have been heavily damaged as well. Just because I dont know the exact value doesn't mean I'm blind. I just use common sense.

Pr0metheus 1962
06-06-2005, 01:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fizilbert:
Do you honestly think Uboot captains got reports from their crew saying the hull integrity is 87%?

I have no problem guesstimating my hull damage. If I suffer heavy compartment damage, I know my hull integrity must have been heavily damaged as well. Just because I dont know the exact value doesn't mean I'm blind. I just use common sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, and I think that real U-boat commanders also had only that level of knowledge of their hull state. It's not like they sent divers out to inspect the hull. If they received a heavy depth charge attack, they would go back to base.

Carotio
06-06-2005, 02:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's true, but if you know where I can find more radio broadcasts, clue me in, because I've included all the ones I know of. Besides, if I had included a different radio broadcast for each month the download would have been enormous. I'll gladly do it, but I have no greater access to radio broadcasts than anyone else has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know where you got yours, but here's some too: http://143.50.93.50/werner/blah/speeches/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It loads up slowly? What do you mean? It takes a second longer than the standard game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everytime I loaded up, it started to roll back original files!

It wasn't meant to critisize your work as such, just telling the forum my POV! And personally, I like the damage percent!