PDA

View Full Version : Mixture setting and speed

LLv34_Stafroty
04-28-2005, 09:55 AM
why doesnt Mig3Ud suffer any speed loss when runnin at full speed at 1000m and using 100%, then droppin it to 60% level? why is there 120%-100%-80% levels if they are not needed at all? is bit odd that we could fly such economically at top speed without losing any engine power at low alt with low mixture. dunno if this same bug is at others Russian planes as well, but, in my eye, it feels bit unfair advantage to VVS pilots, cos they can run almost half at fuel usage while still getting full power out from engine.

LLv34_Stafroty
04-28-2005, 09:55 AM
why doesnt Mig3Ud suffer any speed loss when runnin at full speed at 1000m and using 100%, then droppin it to 60% level? why is there 120%-100%-80% levels if they are not needed at all? is bit odd that we could fly such economically at top speed without losing any engine power at low alt with low mixture. dunno if this same bug is at others Russian planes as well, but, in my eye, it feels bit unfair advantage to VVS pilots, cos they can run almost half at fuel usage while still getting full power out from engine.

Tallyho1961
04-28-2005, 01:12 PM
I can't answer your question, but to underscore one of your points I still wonder why the allied a/c - which is what I fly - only have the 120-100-80 settings available when they are, with some exceptions, supposed to feature manual mixture control.

As it is, I just ignore mixture and leave it on AutoRich. Anybody got some insight on this?

Fred_77
04-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Mixture settings are a gimmick in FB right now. They don't actually do anything other then get rid of the power loss and smoke which occurs at higher levels. The fuel flow is the same at 100% as it is at 60%. The only way to increase economy is to bring back the rpms and M.P.. The best way to deal with the mixture is to set it at 60% on takeoff and forget about it.

S!
Fred.

Fennec_P
04-28-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't know if this is modeled, but over-rich mixes should run cooler than leaner ones.

So using 100% at high alt might not give you any extra power, but it might delay overheating.

Even though you have the mix set to 100%, only some of the fuel is burning. This is dependant on oxygen. Excess fuel not consumed during combustion just goes out the exhaust, and acts like a coolant (like water injection, but not as good).

The altitude at which you can burn 100% fuel is called 'critical altitude'. Above this, Engine power will start to drop, regardless of whether you use 100% mix or not. So be sure, the Mig-3UD is not cheating in anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In pilot school they teach you to lower the mixture setting as far as you can go, before the RPMs start to drop. This is a good idea in PF too if you want good economy. Higher mix doesn't equal more power (unless you are at sea level or something and want to use 120%).

LeadSpitter_
04-29-2005, 06:50 AM
Back when fb first came out didnt they say 120 mix was added as 10% trottle and super chargers as well at thier determined altitude.

I know what your saying staf the 120 mix gave a huge boost to ac like the 109e p40s hurricane b239 mig3 yak lagg la p40 b239 and japanese ac keep higher speed and highpower at 3000-5000m altitudes.

What I dont get is at 650m 120 rich mix will stop all usn aircraft engines with the black smoke trails that stop engine power completely.

But japanese ac can go to 3000m+ using 120 mix, along with wep and superchargers.

I think all ac should have either full mixture changes or for allied ac with auto/cruise which is taking away so much power have no option of using rich mixture settings for aircraft did have and did use in combat.

100/auto mix or 120 rich mixture for additional lower alt accelaration.

Look at the p-40e compaired to the p-40e field mod with lagg3 engine for a good example.

fs2004 and Xplane Complex engine management extremely well, proppitch, supercharger, rpm and mixture setting low and high alt extremely well.

For future ubi/1c flightsims they should spend some time on CEM with the BOB engine.

p1ngu666
04-29-2005, 04:27 PM
think on single stage supercharger, u can use 120mix till high alt, on two stage or more u use to around 500-650.

zeros have same 120% height limit as usn planes, i think.

iirec its a boost to help u get off carrier, so thats why it conks out really early

OldMan____
04-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Also.. does anyone know what is rulling fuel consumption in game? is it Mainfold or RPM ?

msalama
05-02-2005, 05:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it Manifold or RPM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno, but it should be a combination of both. Engine has to do more WORK = engine consumes more FUEL. Or am I just blabbering here?

PS. And the mixture richness should naturally be a factor too...