PDA

View Full Version : First Review?Thrustmaster Flight Stick X Released End 2007

ytareh
04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Im the guy who raves on about the otherwise universally slated Logitech Extreme 3d Pro.Got one of these today from german company linked through Amazon UK.Was really optimistic about these -they are basically an evolution of a quite old Thrustmaster /Guillemot stick('FOX'?)They come in very stylish modern box which boasts of the default settings for MS Flight Sim X (and Blazing Angels for PS3!!!This is a PC/PS3 stick!)
The first nice surprise is a large circular adjuster on the base for stick tension AND it has a VERY anatomically comfortable handle...
Unfortunately its all downhill from there .I still find the Logitechs handle grip more comfortable although admittedly its close.And even at max tension the stick's spring isnt nearly as tight(first priority in a stick for me) as my Extreme 3dPro .I found this very unpleasant to use so much so that I had advertised it on a local free ads site within an hour of recieving it !!!(Anyone interested PM me !-But mention PM in this thread)But bear in mind I also hated the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar and CH Pedals -and dont even mention the Saitek EVO Platinum ...I guess I may start stockpiling Logitechs ...I have 3 and one in bits for spares...

ytareh
04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Im the guy who raves on about the otherwise universally slated Logitech Extreme 3d Pro.Got one of these today from german company linked through Amazon UK.Was really optimistic about these -they are basically an evolution of a quite old Thrustmaster /Guillemot stick('FOX'?)They come in very stylish modern box which boasts of the default settings for MS Flight Sim X (and Blazing Angels for PS3!!!This is a PC/PS3 stick!)
The first nice surprise is a large circular adjuster on the base for stick tension AND it has a VERY anatomically comfortable handle...
Unfortunately its all downhill from there .I still find the Logitechs handle grip more comfortable although admittedly its close.And even at max tension the stick's spring isnt nearly as tight(first priority in a stick for me) as my Extreme 3dPro .I found this very unpleasant to use so much so that I had advertised it on a local free ads site within an hour of recieving it !!!(Anyone interested PM me !-But mention PM in this thread)But bear in mind I also hated the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar and CH Pedals -and dont even mention the Saitek EVO Platinum ...I guess I may start stockpiling Logitechs ...I have 3 and one in bits for spares...

R_Target
04-21-2008, 04:56 PM
How about some pics?

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-22-2008, 08:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
How about some pics? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This stick looks much like the Sidewinder Precision 2 and appears to have many buttons. It could be the savior stick for the person on a limited budget.

http://snpi.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/A1302849.jpg

A quick google shows Dell offering them at 20 bucks...seems to be a geat buy. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?s...cid=27722&lid=628335 (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1302849&cs=04&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=27722&lid=628335)

This is the one you are referring to isnt it? It seems this is the first compatible flight stick for the PS3 and it works just as good for PC. Here is a review. http://gear.ign.com/articles/843/843580p1.html
S!

ytareh
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Darn it just got the older Force Feedback version of this stick also...Cant even be bothered plug it in after feeling the loose spring in my hand ...Open to offers on either/both of these sticks...

LEBillfish
04-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Used a MS SW PP optical for oh I guess 7 years before I killed it (though saving the optical parts and board to try and make a stick to fit me and my style as the optical aspect is what really made it work great)........

That said, since roughly the release of PF so 2005 I've used a $35 Logitech Extreme 3d Pro as I could not stand the wimpy springs in the Saiteks.......and just 2 weeks ago cracked it open, stretched the spring a bit to tighten it up, and shimed the sensor mechanical contact points (stuck a piece of paper between the Y to spread the edges out a tad taking up clearance)....

.....like new again and as small as I am I'm VERY heavy handed (plus am a T&B not a B&Z'er so work it harder). Yes it's a cheap stick....Works fine for me and money is not an issue.

K2

Sillius_Sodus
04-23-2008, 04:04 PM
The Dell site also shows Jetfighter IV on sale for $19.99, yikes!

Metatron_123
04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
I use the Thrustmaster. So far so good, very comfortable. Like Havoc said, a good, cheap stick.

But one thing i'll never understand is why most joysticks don't have the frickin cannon button where your thumb is.

My previous stick was a very basic genius (brand name, not an amazing stick) and they figured this out.

Is it that difficult??

TAW_Oilburner
04-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Ytareh I feel your pain buddy..the 3d Pro has to be the pinnacle of ergonomic design encasing the pinnacle of cheap *** parts. When Best Buy quit letting me exchange them every 3 months I bought one of the MSFFB from gogamer and I like it OK but I miss the 4th thumb button and the ergonomics of the Logitech.