PDA

View Full Version : From Third Reich Films - here is Stukas! (from 1941)

Waldo.Pepper
06-27-2007, 04:05 PM
I was moved to make this available after Fpsolkor recent generosity posting his collection of Russian films. I though you all may appreciate seeing how the other side made theatrical, commercial propaganda films during the war. So here from Third Reich Films, actually made during the war in 1941 is - Stukas.

In his diary entry for June 2, 1941, German Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels recorded his opinion of "Stukas" after attending a preview:

"New Ritter film, 'Stukas.' Quite good, with some wonderful air footage, but a typical Ritter production. He cannot lead people. Rather too noisy."

The American perspective was decidedly more negative. The broadcast journalist Howard K. Smith offered this scathing description in his book "Last Train From Berlin:"

"It was a monotonous film about a bunch of obstreperous adolescents who dived bombed things and people. They bombed anything and anybody. That's all the film was - just one bombing after another. Finally the hero got bored with bombing and lost interest in life - so they took him off to the Bayreuth music festival where he listened to a few lines of Wagner's music; his soul began to breathe again, he got visions of the Fuhrer and of guns blazing away, so he impolitely left right in the middle of the first act and dashed back and started bombing things again with the old gusto."

"Stukas" is the story of a dive bomber squadron during the Battle of France in May-June 1940. The primary characters are the commander, played by Carl Raddatz, who here and in "Wunschkonzert" is the epitome of a Luftwaffe officer, and the flight surgeon, played by O.E. Hasse. The pilot Smith described as "bored" is played by Hannes Stelzer, who ironically was killed later in the war.

Although the action focuses on dive bombing, the real theme of the film is the willingness, indeed the necessity, to risk death in the service of Germany. In the moral universe of "Stukas", there is no finer death in the world. Hauptmann Bork (Raddatz) salutes the fallen: "Yes, one does not think about their death, but instead about what they have died for, and remembers them like the young gods that they are." Deeply moved, Doctor Gregorius (Hasse) recites lines from a poem titled ""Death for the Fatherland." The verse reads in part:

"O take me, let me join that circle, so that I will not die a common death! I do not want to die in vain; but I would love to perish on a hill of sacrifice"

"for the Fatherland, to bleed the blood of my heart, for the Fatherland - and soon it is done! To you, dear ones! I come , to join those who taught me to live and to die!"

The majority of the above was lifted directly from the IMDB page on the film located here -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140578/

The IMDB page was quoting - Jay W. Baird's "To Die for Germany."

I think it makes an interesting contrast to Allied wartime films like Sahara, or Mission for Tonight. Hope you all 'like' it a little.

Anyway the film runs for 1.5 hours - here is the link to the movie.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-6921361912520303973

Incidentally the footage of the French Hotchkiss H35 tanks being blown to smitherines, at about the 30 minute mark, has been taken as actual footage and has been polluting documentaries from the History Channel, and others for years now.

Waldo.Pepper
06-27-2007, 04:05 PM
I was moved to make this available after Fpsolkor recent generosity posting his collection of Russian films. I though you all may appreciate seeing how the other side made theatrical, commercial propaganda films during the war. So here from Third Reich Films, actually made during the war in 1941 is - Stukas.

In his diary entry for June 2, 1941, German Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels recorded his opinion of "Stukas" after attending a preview:

"New Ritter film, 'Stukas.' Quite good, with some wonderful air footage, but a typical Ritter production. He cannot lead people. Rather too noisy."

The American perspective was decidedly more negative. The broadcast journalist Howard K. Smith offered this scathing description in his book "Last Train From Berlin:"

"It was a monotonous film about a bunch of obstreperous adolescents who dived bombed things and people. They bombed anything and anybody. That's all the film was - just one bombing after another. Finally the hero got bored with bombing and lost interest in life - so they took him off to the Bayreuth music festival where he listened to a few lines of Wagner's music; his soul began to breathe again, he got visions of the Fuhrer and of guns blazing away, so he impolitely left right in the middle of the first act and dashed back and started bombing things again with the old gusto."

"Stukas" is the story of a dive bomber squadron during the Battle of France in May-June 1940. The primary characters are the commander, played by Carl Raddatz, who here and in "Wunschkonzert" is the epitome of a Luftwaffe officer, and the flight surgeon, played by O.E. Hasse. The pilot Smith described as "bored" is played by Hannes Stelzer, who ironically was killed later in the war.

Although the action focuses on dive bombing, the real theme of the film is the willingness, indeed the necessity, to risk death in the service of Germany. In the moral universe of "Stukas", there is no finer death in the world. Hauptmann Bork (Raddatz) salutes the fallen: "Yes, one does not think about their death, but instead about what they have died for, and remembers them like the young gods that they are." Deeply moved, Doctor Gregorius (Hasse) recites lines from a poem titled ""Death for the Fatherland." The verse reads in part:

"O take me, let me join that circle, so that I will not die a common death! I do not want to die in vain; but I would love to perish on a hill of sacrifice"

"for the Fatherland, to bleed the blood of my heart, for the Fatherland - and soon it is done! To you, dear ones! I come , to join those who taught me to live and to die!"

The majority of the above was lifted directly from the IMDB page on the film located here -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140578/

The IMDB page was quoting - Jay W. Baird's "To Die for Germany."

I think it makes an interesting contrast to Allied wartime films like Sahara, or Mission for Tonight. Hope you all 'like' it a little.

Anyway the film runs for 1.5 hours - here is the link to the movie.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-6921361912520303973

Incidentally the footage of the French Hotchkiss H35 tanks being blown to smitherines, at about the 30 minute mark, has been taken as actual footage and has been polluting documentaries from the History Channel, and others for years now.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Much appreciated. Thanks, Waldo.

F0_Dark_P
06-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Awesome! thanx http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Monty_Thrud
06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Great, smashing, nice, TFP http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif...why are those Stuka pilots so chipper, must be very early war... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

RSS-Martin
06-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks for sharing Waldo!
Have not seen this one before, only
"Der Stern von Afrika"

leitmotiv
06-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Great stuff, Waldo. Looking for the Ju 88 film if you ever come across it.

Xiolablu3
06-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Excellent post.

I am going to hold off watching it until I can get a subtitled version....

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Hehe, I love the US reporters opinion from 1941 :-

'It was a monotonous film about a bunch of obstreperous adolescents who dived bombed things and people. They bombed anything and anybody. That's all the film was - just one bombing after another. Finally the hero got bored with bombing and lost interest in life - so they took him off to the Bayreuth music festival where he listened to a few lines of Wagner's music; his soul began to breathe again, he got visions of the Fuhrer and of guns blazing away, so he impolitely left right in the middle of the first act and dashed back and started bombing things again with the old gusto'

HURRAH! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Nevertheless I will enjoy the footage.

zardozid
06-28-2007, 05:29 PM
thanks never seen it...

I wonder if their is an .srt file for this? (subtitles)...

FliegerAas
06-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Interesting thanks

HuninMunin
06-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Thats one of the things I really hate the Nazis for.
They took all of the germanic mentality customs and turned them into a Nazi travesty version of it.

They even took our death cult!
Our death cult , you understand?
There are no german warriors without a death cult!
We need it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

SeaFireLIV
06-28-2007, 05:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
I was moved to make this available after Fpsolkor recent generosity posting his collection of Russian films. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, but can you show me where this post is? I missed the Russian film collection.

FPSOLKOR
06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
I was moved to make this available after Fpsolkor recent generosity posting his collection of Russian films. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still got no replies... Was someone actually able to download some of the films and if yes, how you found them?

Waldo.Pepper
06-28-2007, 10:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was someone actually able to download some of the films and if yes, how you found them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had most of them already - but I did download

Torpedonoscy (because you said it was your favorite) Also Night Witches (for the hot hot chicks!) Great stuff! Thanks.

The downloads kept timing out partway through so I resorted to using NetTransport so that I could resume it if something went wrong.

As for Stukas I have another copy that has subtitles. Unfortunately the subtitles are in Polish (or it could possibly be be Czech - I haven't bothered to check into which it is - so I guess that is not much help.)

FPSOLKOR
06-29-2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks, but can you show me where this post is? I missed the Russian film collection

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/8981055865

WTE_Ibis
06-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Do you know if the films are available to buy?
There are some great pre war old german black and white movies but where one can buy them is unknown to me.

Worf101
06-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Interesting.. Quite chipper indeed. But what did you expect them to show, dour, haggard, stressed and terminally tired pilots getting their asses handed to them over Britain? Good stuff there.

Da Worfster

Worf101
06-29-2007, 06:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:
Do you know if the films are available to buy?
There are some great pre war old german black and white movies but where one can buy them is unknown to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In the back of "Military History Magazine" there's a couple of sites that specialize in war film, even German ones. One great one is "Das Brock" or "The Bridge" I saw it once at a friends house on VHS, amazing... About German kids late in the war trying to hold off Americans trying to cross a key bridge. Almost the same story as "Bataan" with Robert Taylor, but then again some of the differences are rather striking.

Da Worfster

leitmotiv
06-29-2007, 06:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HuninMunin:
Thats one of the things I really hate the Nazis for.
They took all of the germanic mentality customs and turned them into a Nazi travesty version of it.

They even took our death cult!
Our death cult , you understand?
There are no german warriors without a death cult!
We need it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What genius. You cut right to the essence! You ought to read Thomas Pynchon's GRAVITY'S RAINBOW (some of which is in German)---it is about this VERY subject!

HuninMunin
06-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks freund.
I will definatly take a look at where to get hold of a copy.

I mean; as fun it may sound ( my first post) I think that is the stuff the non-german people around the earth forget when talking about the Third Reich: that the Nazis stole us modern Germans over 2000 years of history, mentality and custom aswell.
And if you think about that, I guess it's some of the worst thing that can happen to any country.

jamesdietz
06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I've been looking for this a loooooooong time...is there any way to get a good cd or dvd of it????

-HH-Dubbo
06-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Great stuff mate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Thanks

leitmotiv
06-29-2007, 12:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HuninMunin:
Thanks freund.
I will definatly take a look at where to get hold of a copy.

I mean; as fun it may sound ( my first post) I think that is the stuff the non-german people around the earth forget when talking about the Third Reich: that the Nazis stole us modern Germans over 2000 years of history, mentality and custom aswell.
And if you think about that, I guess it's some of the worst thing that can happen to any country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely understand. And, I don't think it is funny at all. It is a fact that the rest of the West hasn't quite grasped. Hanna Arendt set in stone the idea that, historically, Germany was always destined for fascism and Hitler (ignoring the fact Kaiser Wilhelm II was known as the savior of the Eastern European Jews). The grim cultural fact is otherwise, and it is left to the Germans , alone, to ruminate upon. Cheers.