PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for a newbie

GothicEnigma
04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey everyone!

I just had a few questions/concerns regarding IL-2 1946.

1) First off, I was wondering if theres anything I could do to enhance the graphics of the game. I have it set on Extreme with Directx (not OpenGL). But the edges still seem more pixelated than they should, especially now that I see screenshots of other players.

2) In the sounds, I see Music options, to turn it on and off, yet no music ever plays for me during the game.

3) Theres been many times where I've been playing and I've heard AA or another plane pelt my plane with bullets, but when I go to the external view there are no bullet holes in my plane anywhere, yet in others screenshots I see bullet holes. Is there a reason mine are not showing?

4) Last but not least, and to me the most important.... The graphics and realism of the game are really good, but I'm concerned about how quick wings get shot off. I remember going up against some heavy bombers, and it took maybe 3 seconds for me to shoot off both its wings.. I dont know ALOT about WWII aircraft, but I remember seeing pictures of Heavy Bombers completely decimated by bullets, the wings having huge tears in it, parts of the wings missing, and over all just totally wrecked, but was still able to make it back.

But it seems like the tiniest fraction of a wing comes off, or just a 1, 3 second burst to the wings will bring a Heavy Bomber down in this game. Which to me seems incredibly un realistic.

Furthermore, I'm also wondering about my own plane.. I've been in numerous dogfights, but it seems like I can pelt an enemy plane with bullets and it'll take a pretty fair amount of brute force to take it down if I dont get direct hits. However almost Everytime I get one on me, they pelt me for a few seconds and my plane is completely wrecked, wings fly off, engine quits, or my pilot is killed almost everytime. Just seems like the AI can do way more damage to my plane, than I can to his.

Note: I have tried changing sides and being on the other team using their planes... but it was still the same situation....

Any help or insight would be great! Its a great game but I'm worried about the damage aspect of it..

GothicEnigma
04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey everyone!

1) First off, I was wondering if theres anything I could do to enhance the graphics of the game. I have it set on Extreme with Directx (not OpenGL). But the edges still seem more pixelated than they should, especially now that I see screenshots of other players.

2) In the sounds, I see Music options, to turn it on and off, yet no music ever plays for me during the game.

3) Theres been many times where I've been playing and I've heard AA or another plane pelt my plane with bullets, but when I go to the external view there are no bullet holes in my plane anywhere, yet in others screenshots I see bullet holes. Is there a reason mine are not showing?

4) Last but not least, and to me the most important.... The graphics and realism of the game are really good, but I'm concerned about how quick wings get shot off. I remember going up against some heavy bombers, and it took maybe 3 seconds for me to shoot off both its wings.. I dont know ALOT about WWII aircraft, but I remember seeing pictures of Heavy Bombers completely decimated by bullets, the wings having huge tears in it, parts of the wings missing, and over all just totally wrecked, but was still able to make it back.

But it seems like the tiniest fraction of a wing comes off, or just a 1, 3 second burst to the wings will bring a Heavy Bomber down in this game. Which to me seems incredibly un realistic.

Furthermore, I'm also wondering about my own plane.. I've been in numerous dogfights, but it seems like I can pelt an enemy plane with bullets and it'll take a pretty fair amount of brute force to take it down if I dont get direct hits. However almost Everytime I get one on me, they pelt me for a few seconds and my plane is completely wrecked, wings fly off, engine quits, or my pilot is killed almost everytime. Just seems like the AI can do way more damage to my plane, than I can to his.

Note: I have tried changing sides and being on the other team using their planes... but it was still the same situation....

Any help or insight would be great! Its a great game but I'm worried about the damage aspect of it..

ImMoreBetter
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kinkybabe:
Hey everyone!

1) First off, I was wondering if theres anything I could do to enhance the graphics of the game. I have it set on Extreme with Directx (not OpenGL). But the edges still seem more pixelated than they should, especially now that I see screenshots of other players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are mods that enhance graphics. We can't post direct links on this forum, but you can google "All Aircraft Arcade". That is a very respected mod site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct, it is somewhat of a vestigial function.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
3) Theres been many times where I've been playing and I've heard AA or another plane pelt my plane with bullets, but when I go to the external view there are no bullet holes in my plane anywhere, yet in others screenshots I see bullet holes. Is there a reason mine are not showing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The particular parts that were hit may not have taken enough damage to cause a damage skin to appear on the plane. The bullet holes are not real time, rather an arbitrary repredentation for damage. This game is 9 years old, after all. The next game has real time damage, IIRC.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First check your difficulty settings to make sure you have realistic gunnery on.

Otherwise, yes, theoretically major structural damage is more common in game. This is for several good reasons however. The first is illusion. Statistically, I get downed many times more by getting shot in the cockpit than having my wing blown off, but the later is more dramatic, giving a much greater impression. The second reason is the technology. This game is 9 years old, yet it still has the best damage model in any WWII sim I've tried. However, it is still a decade old. In real life, planes had many more parts that could get hit and incapacitate the plane, as well as a vast number of forces acting on the plane and it's damaged parts. It's impossible to make such calculations and still have the game run smoothly, so a bit of simplification is involved, making de-winging much more likely.

Like I said, this is the closest representation of any game I've played. It's a technological factor.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Practice. Unfortunately, the AI is straight up out gunning you. It takes a long time to build up accuracy skills. It will get better with experience. Most players have been playing this game for YEARS, and many still have not mastered particular guns.

M_Gunz
04-27-2010, 03:20 PM
If your graphics card can handle it then crank up the quality before you load IL2. Antialiasing and Filter
should get the jaggies smoothed out. They might also turn the framerate to slideshow but you can try.

What are you shooting at the bombers? 1 to 3 seconds of 20mm, if most of them hit is a lot of firepower even
from a single cannon. 6 x .50 is about the same as 2 x 20mm. If it's not spread out then hey those planes are
not tanks.

You might also check your difficulty settings JIC.

One thing to learn early on is how to record tracks and be sure to do the ones you start and stop while playing
as those have position info embedded, gives a more true playback. You can change the conf.ini before playback to
give you extra information by setting arcade=1 instead of 0. That will show you arrows everywhere a hit lands.
The arrow is direction only. Even if the hit stops inside the plane the arrow goes all the way through. Shrapnel
from HE shows as more small arrows, you can ID the types of hit. Tracks give you all kinds of really good feedback.

horseback
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
First of all, bear in mind that the game was originally released over nine years ago. The game engine and graphics were upgraded for the release of Forgotten Battles back in 2003 or 2003, but there are some big limitations based on what was possible for a bleeding-edge computer & video card back in those days.

First, I'd strongly recommend going to OpenGL; that's the format the game is designed for. If your video processor can handle it, it just looks better.

Second, I'd say that if you're shooting off wings from big bombers, you've found their 'sweet spots.' Most aircraft have spots that the Damage Model has designated as something that will result in airframe failure or an explosion if you hit it hard enough. A hit from a big cannon, or lots of hits from smaller caliber guns to the right spot will cause a gratifiying reaction.

Conversely, a fighter is a harder target to hit, and the sweet spots are also smaller. It's not as easy to get the solid hits in the same spots, and the AI routines controlling the enemy fighters aren't going to sit still while you blaze away.

As for why they are taking you down so easily, the AI routines know when they are being targeted, that is even before you start shooting, they know that your crosshairs are close, so they will start avoiding your fire a lot more quickly than you can when they are targeting YOU.

It's called Situational Awareness, or SA. A real life combat pilot kept his head on a swivel and NEVER flew in a straight line for more than a few seconds in the combat zone; this made it much harder for enemy aircraft to sneak up behind him.

You will find that your SA will improve over time, but you can help it by being paranoid and always sneaking a peak over your virtual shoulder every few seconds.

I've never fiddled with the music options much; many of your 'cues' in this game are audio substitutes for what a real pilot might get from the seat of his pants or peripheral vision, and these can be masked by the music plying in flight.

Hope this helps.

cheers

horseback

GothicEnigma
04-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow this game is 9 yrs old? I had no idea it was THAT old.. The fact it makes me go "WoW that was awesome" stands to show how great of a game this is.

Thank you for the awesome support on my questions too ^.^!

I'm not a computer geek or anything, (love you guys who are), but my computer has a ATI Radeon HD 4600 graphics card, with 1.5 GB of RAM. Is this enough for max graphics and OpenGL instead of Directx?

"The particular parts that were hit may not have taken enough damage to cause a damage skin to appear on the plane. The bullet holes are not real time, rather an arbitrary repredentation for damage. This game is 9 years old, after all. The next game has real time damage, IIRC."

What is the "Next game" that will have real time damage that you/he was talking about?

AndyJWest
04-27-2010, 03:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is the "Next game" that will have real time damage that you/he was talking about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is SoW:BoB - Storm of War: Battle of Britain. Currently under development by 1C:Maddox, who wrote IL-2.

If Oleg Maddox is to be believed, it should come out sometime in the latter part of this year. The best place for info on it is the 1C:Maddox IL-2 forum here: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=98

It is going to be good...

ROXunreal
04-27-2010, 04:14 PM
The music options are for menu music, there is no music in-game.

Zeus-cat
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Since you are new to IL-2 some other things you should know about are NEVER attack a bomber from the rear unless you are prepared to lose your virtual life. The AI gunners are notoriously deadly.

When chasing enemy fighters you can pump a lot of machine gun bullets into the rear of the plane with little apparent effect. You have to learn when to shoot and what to shoot at. Wing tips are good if you can hit them. Knock a wingtip off almost any plane and they lose control quickly. Engines and pilots are good targets, but difficult to hit from the rear. Fuel tanks are good too; you can hit a lot of Japanese planes in the tanks if you shoot from underneath them. If I am behind an enemy I like to wait until they try to climb away from me. Pull up your nose and lead them a little (gravity is modelled in the game). Just a few hits in the cockpit, engines and on the wings will damage or destroy them.

Black smoke is burning oil and means the plane will go down soon. White/gray smoke means a fuel leak and the plane should make it back to base unless they only have a small amount of fuel left when they get hit.

If you need help with carrier operations or landings and takeoff in general check out my training campaign "Straight From the Farm".

WTE_Galway
04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
Since you are new to IL-2 some other things you should know about are NEVER attack a bomber from the rear unless you are prepared to lose your virtual life. The AI gunners are notoriously deadly.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Historically in the BoB where the RAF had limited performance advantage and only .303 ammunition against bombers, they tended to use feints to draw fire followed by slashing side attacks from the other side by another flight. The Luftwaffe on the other hand liked to attack bombers headon.

to attack from above or sides learn to deflection shoot by choosing easy targets in quick mission builder and initially shooting at quarter speed then half speed then full speed.

Note that rifle caliber bullet damage eventually effects the target but does not show up in the visual effects when they hit. This is is one of the big changes in SOW when it comes out.

If the bombers are going down too easy one of two things are are happening, you are firing something with a massive cannon like the mk103 (the fw190a8 with mk103 wing cannons simply converts bombers into a mass of small parts) or your gunnery is not set to realistic damage mode.

My preference flying offline against bombers is the 1938 hurricane as its a challenge to down more than a couple, it can barely catch most bombers. Other fun planes against bombers are the Emil and the p38.

Ba5tard5word
04-27-2010, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4) Last but not least, and to me the most important.... The graphics and realism of the game are really good, but I'm concerned about how quick wings get shot off. I remember going up against some heavy bombers, and it took maybe 3 seconds for me to shoot off both its wings.. I dont know ALOT about WWII aircraft, but I remember seeing pictures of Heavy Bombers completely decimated by bullets, the wings having huge tears in it, parts of the wings missing, and over all just totally wrecked, but was still able to make it back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a) what version of the game are you playing? If it's 1946, then bombers shouldn't do that. Some of the older models in 1946 like the Fw-200 seem to fall apart more unrealistically but for the most part they look ok to me and bigger bombers can take a LOT of MG fire and even 20mm cannon fire before breaking apart or blowing up.

b) if you are playing with realistic gunnery off, then your bullets do a LOT more damage and also shoot straight forward instead of being pulled down by gravity, so this might also be happening.

Also it depends on what plane you are flying, what bomber you are shooting at, etc. Try flying a Hurricane and shoot down a SM-79 without running out of ammo. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Wow, I'm surprised no one was able to help with the graphics question. Set the game to use OpenGL firstly, the game is meant to run in OpenGL, directX was just a compatibility option. In il2setup.exe make sure you have attempt stencil buffer on, choose a 32bit resolution, and set it to OpenGL, then you should be able to set landscape to Perfect mode. Go to the Community Help (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=corfrm&cf=49310655) section of this forum and search through NDS_Camp's posts and you'll find some recommended conf.ini and CCC settings for ATI cards.

P.S. Be sure to read the Sticky threads at the top of this forum as well as the community help forum, they contain a ton of good info for new players. Be sure to read Bearcats Nuggets Guide...

GothicEnigma
04-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Thank you Urufu, I cant seem to find those threads you were mentioning for NDS_Camp..

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Found it, here ya go:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...241007738#6241007738 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/2931066738?r=6241007738#6241007738)

M_Gunz
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kinkybabe:
Wow this game is 9 yrs old? I had no idea it was THAT old.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and No. The base game named IL2:Sturmovik was released end of 2001. There was a major rework started before
the last patch for that in 2002 that resulted in IL2:Forgotten Battles which is FB 1.x. That was regularly added
to and improved and then Aces (FB 2.x) was released with a series of patch/additions even as the yet to be released
Storm of War was started. After Aces there was another effort that resulted in Pacific Fighters (FB 3.x) and then
two Russian releases that went worldwide, Pe-2 and another I forget the name. IIRC those were under a major FM
upgrade using elements from development of SoW resulting in FB 4.x of which IL2:1946 is 4.07 and since (handling
was major improved with 4.07) which development has not ended yet thanks to Team Daidalos partnered with Maddox
Games. We haven't had 4.09m very long and are expecting 4.10 with yet later patches still possible and a list of
anticipated improvements.

So 9 years old yes but it has been growing and changing for every one of those years at least in part-time.
Still many of the basic engine limits are still there but I wouldn't try to run the newer versions on a machine
that was minimal for the original and I doubt there was a PC in 2001 that could run 1946 well at all.

VW-IceFire
04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Regarding wings and damage in general that is dependent a lot on two things:

1) The weapon in question
2) The aim of the person firing it

The damage modeling is complex and very complex for it's day. If you spread your shots all over you will not get the same kind of efficient kill as you would firing into the same spot several times. This is very hard which is why taking off the wing of a bomber is hard when you're under a lot of pressure...but when you're comfortably sitting in your chair in your office blasting away it's not as big of a deal.

On the other hand load up a mission where you fly a Bf109 or a Fw190 into a box formation of B-17s and you will not have such an easy time.

Which planes were you flying and what were you fighting against? Everything from the weapon to the target to your convergence and the types of hits you were scoring are very important to how efficient you are.

Online it's to the point where... if I'm having a good day (and I don't have very many) I can fatally cripple your average single engine fighter with a 1 second burst from a reasonably well armed fighter (twin 20mm say). If it's a bad day then I'll spend the next 10 minutes chasing him putting in a bullet here and there and totally making a mess of things and he'll still probably fly away with me having expended my entire ammo load.

That's how it goes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Erkki_M
04-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Also, remember that the guns dont shoot just one Generic Round Mk. I with efficiency x. Instead, they shoot different types of ammo that have different ballistics; muzzle speeds, and slowing are different. Penetration depeneds on relative hitting speed, angle and ammo type. There are in addition to ball rounds, also incendiary, armor-piercing, tracer and explosive rounds of many different types, often with combined effects.

Ie. the belting is, for example, in MG151/20 APIT-HE-HE-MG-MG, in Hispano APIT-HE-HEIT-HE and in ShKAS APIT-AP-APIT-AP and in MG17 IT-IT-IT-IT-AP-AP-AP-AP.

Also explosive rounds often lighter than the tracered AP rounds - you will see, if you look close enough, when shooting with deflection, that the tracer rounds might be missing the target just a little, but explosive ones hitting. Same goes with planes that have many different guns - light machine guns require more lead than HMGs and cannons, you might miss with one type of a weapon but hit with the other.

One hit to the right spot with the right round might down the enemy, 20 in wrong spots with wrong types not - an AP round will simply make a hole, best to have it hit through the pilots seat, an explosive one will have pressure and shrapnel effect, use it to account structural damage. A lucky shrapnel might kill the pilot too. Generally still, aim so that you get as many hits as possible, go for the weak spots only against bigger non-maneuvering targets(bombers) before you've learned how to aim, and even then, its often not worth it, as simply dumping more nickel in the target is likely to do the job, more often than not, as the target will not be flying straight. Against bombers, go for engines and wing roots(fuel tanks there) and cockpit in the headon - the rounds might penetrate through the entire fuselage and kill the crew and cause other types of damage that is not so likely to happen when firing from behind. One round in the pilots head is enough.

Online is different, if server has no exterior views allowed, you will be shooting at people who will either be do everything they can to prevent your shot and reverse the situation to their favour and the firing windows are very short and from bad angles, or you might get to surprise someone. If the latter, get so close you simply cant miss him, but if you are closing fast, make sure you can fire at least a second before you have to break to avoid collision. Dont shoot before you can see his eyeballs from the mirror.

GothicEnigma
04-28-2010, 11:03 AM
ok so I did those graphics settings in the config file.. but now I have big squares on my water..... &gt;.&lt;;;;

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Hmm, ok, make a post over in the community help section, post a copy of the whole conf.ini and we'll get you sorted and the game looking great. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

K_Freddie
04-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Interesting name !!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

K_Freddie
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Another thing is to make sure you have a good graphics card, with 512MByte VRam (or more) on board. A good pc also helps but the main game power is in the graphics card.

also a good joystick is recommended... DO GET SOME RUDDER PEDALS.. These will seem strange at first, but for finer/critical points of flying =&gt; very essential.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif