PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION on Stuvi and K-14 Gunsights

Krotos
05-13-2004, 07:29 AM
I recently purchased the Aces Expansion pack and noted in the "readme" file that two new gunsights were included. Unfortunately, only a "readme" file came with the expansion pack, so most of the new features in the game are a complete mystery to me - and I suspect most others as well.

So, can anyone out there tell me what the K-14 gunsight is? What planes are equipped with it (I am not even sure if it is German or Russian). Moreover, when I toggle the gunsignt moe to auto, no message appears on the hud to indicate it. The same holds true for the sight adjustments as well. So as a part B to this question is how do you determine the current settings of the gunsights and how do you tell how they are set after you have made adjustments? Ofcourse, for any of this to be particularly relevant I would first need to know which planes use the gunsight.

My second question is on the "Stuvi Gunsight" and it also has several parts. I have listed them below:

1) Does only the Stuka D-5 use this gunsight?
2) How does one turn the sight on and off?
3) When the gunsight is activated, what am I supposed to see on the screen? How do I know if the sight is active or not?
4) The readme file says you must set your dive speed prior and altitude via the gunsight controls. That is fine, but how are all of these settings supposed to be set in the middle of a dive - I mean it is all I can do to keep the plane stable (even with the breaks extended) as it enters into a terminal dive. Obviously, I can set the release altitude prior to initiating my dive, but how can the dive speed be set before hand if you don't know what it is going to be? I am utterly confused - and I suspect I am not alone.

Needless to say, most of these questions would be utterly unnecessary if Ubi had bothered to include a decent manual update with the AEP. I for one am neither psychic nor an expert on the specifics of every system on every aircraft of WWII -- and who is? The lack of good documentation only serves (IMO) to negate all of the considerable work done by Oleg in adding new features to the game (and greatly improving it) if they cannot be understood or used properly. As a case in point, the box the AEP came in didn't even really tell the purchaser what the pack actually included -- only a few flyables were listed, and I bought it with the distinct impression that a Western Front Campaign was included. Ok, I am ranting, but I have spent days in utter confusion and am a little POed.

Please help, and thanks in advance.

Krotos
05-13-2004, 07:29 AM
I recently purchased the Aces Expansion pack and noted in the "readme" file that two new gunsights were included. Unfortunately, only a "readme" file came with the expansion pack, so most of the new features in the game are a complete mystery to me - and I suspect most others as well.

So, can anyone out there tell me what the K-14 gunsight is? What planes are equipped with it (I am not even sure if it is German or Russian). Moreover, when I toggle the gunsignt moe to auto, no message appears on the hud to indicate it. The same holds true for the sight adjustments as well. So as a part B to this question is how do you determine the current settings of the gunsights and how do you tell how they are set after you have made adjustments? Ofcourse, for any of this to be particularly relevant I would first need to know which planes use the gunsight.

My second question is on the "Stuvi Gunsight" and it also has several parts. I have listed them below:

1) Does only the Stuka D-5 use this gunsight?
2) How does one turn the sight on and off?
3) When the gunsight is activated, what am I supposed to see on the screen? How do I know if the sight is active or not?
4) The readme file says you must set your dive speed prior and altitude via the gunsight controls. That is fine, but how are all of these settings supposed to be set in the middle of a dive - I mean it is all I can do to keep the plane stable (even with the breaks extended) as it enters into a terminal dive. Obviously, I can set the release altitude prior to initiating my dive, but how can the dive speed be set before hand if you don't know what it is going to be? I am utterly confused - and I suspect I am not alone.

Needless to say, most of these questions would be utterly unnecessary if Ubi had bothered to include a decent manual update with the AEP. I for one am neither psychic nor an expert on the specifics of every system on every aircraft of WWII -- and who is? The lack of good documentation only serves (IMO) to negate all of the considerable work done by Oleg in adding new features to the game (and greatly improving it) if they cannot be understood or used properly. As a case in point, the box the AEP came in didn't even really tell the purchaser what the pack actually included -- only a few flyables were listed, and I bought it with the distinct impression that a Western Front Campaign was included. Ok, I am ranting, but I have spent days in utter confusion and am a little POed.

Please help, and thanks in advance.

Baltar
05-13-2004, 07:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Needless to say, most of these questions would be utterly unnecessary if Ubi had bothered to include a decent manual update with the AEP. I for one am neither psychic nor an expert on the specifics of every system on every aircraft of WWII -- and who is? The lack of good documentation only serves (IMO) to negate all of the considerable work done by Oleg in adding new features to the game (and greatly improving it) if they cannot be understood or used properly. As a case in point, the box the AEP came in didn't even really tell the purchaser what the pack actually included -- only a few flyables were listed, and I bought it with the distinct impression that a Western Front Campaign was included. Ok, I am ranting, but I have spent days in utter confusion and am a little POed.

Please help, and thanks in advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AGREED!

As for your questions:

There are two flyable 'D' model Mustangs now. The latter one has the K-14.

I have used the Stuvi successfully both for low level attacks and for dive bombings. You use the same key bindings as you do for the bombsights on some of the bombers. By default the site is active (and there is a command for turning it on/off, you need to bind it yourself I think). What you should 'see' is a notch going across the line dropping down from your crosshair that shows where your bomb should impact if released at that moment. Of course, this is not at all obvious with the Stuvi's default settings. It all becomes clear when you either go into a dive or drop the altitude setting to something really low while keeping the speed setting moderate-high. As far as setting the dive speed....not sure what to tell you...I think you just have to become a Stuka veteran and judge for yourself what speed setting you need. I know I'm certainly not one http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chuck_Older
05-13-2004, 07:41 AM
My first suggestion:

There is a "search" feature. It is your friend. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Here is one of my (many) posts about how to use the K-14 gunsight, it is in the Yp-80, and the P-51D-20NA:

once you turn the sight to "gyro+fixed" or "gyro only":

First, note a couple of things:

1) that you now have a 'pipper' of yellow diamonds on the gunsight recticle. This is your gyro sight feature
2) that around the edge of the gunsight housing there is a list of aircraft
3) you must define keys to adjust the gunsight pipper and aircraft selected.

The selection of aircraft is not absolute. It is a list of common targets. For example, if you are firing at a Me 323, there is no "Me 323" listed. In this case, all you have to bear in mind is that all these presets do is resize the pipper to correspond to the wingspread of the aircraft selected, at the range you have selected on the gunsight. Note that changing gunsight range does not change convergence.

So, in the case of the Me 323, you would select "FW200". Why?

Because the pipper doesn't care what the aircraft is. All it does is show you 'correct' range, by the size of the pipper. You also do not (and almost never will really know exactly without icons 'on') need to "dial in" a range. All you need worry about is size, and matching visual wingspans through the sight to pipper size. That's it.

The cardinal rule of the K-14 gyro gunsight is this: When the enemy aircraft is approximately of the same wingspan as the one selected on the sight, and the target's wings go from one edge of the pipper to the other, the target is at the range the gunsight is set to.

Resetting the range on the sight simply expands or contracts the pipper.

Bear in mind that all you can do is resize the pipper, regardless of selecting aircraft, or range.

Example:

You are fighting a Bf109. Your convergence has been set to 200m.

Turn the sight on to 'fixed+gyro'. Select 'Bf109' on the sight. The pipper should be initially set at a 'default' of approximately 150m, if I recall correctly. Your convergence is a bit further, what do you do? Bump up the range on the pipper a little bit. Get into firing position. Allow the sight a second or two to stabilize. Place the dot of the pipper on the enemy when it's wings are framed by the pipper diamonds. When the wings touch each side, you are at the range the sight is set to, in our example this is approximately 175-200m (since we manually adjusted the range out a little bit)

If the sight is stabilized [takes about 2 seconds], the target is framed properly, and the convergence corresponds to the range well enough, when you press the trigger when the pipper dot is on the enemy, you will get hits.

The 'fixed+gyro' feature is great becasue sometimes you don't have two seconds to wait for the sight to settle down. But you can still use the fixed sight as a reference.

It is also worth remembering that the goal is not to continually change range settings on the sight. That is extremely difficult and not worth the effort. Set it to convergence range and leave it, as in the example above. Now let's say you shoot down that Bf109 and there's a FW190 nearby. All you do is select "FW190" on the gunsight, and the pipper is now sized for the FW190's wingspan, at the range you have already selected before- that won't change just because you selected a new aircraft type.

If keeping the enemy in your sights long enough is a problem, I suggest practising more precise rudder control.

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash

Krotos
05-13-2004, 08:05 AM
]

AGREED!

As for your questions:

There are two flyable 'D' model Mustangs now. The latter one has the K-14.

I have used the Stuvi successfully both for low level attacks and for dive bombings. You use the same key bindings as you do for the bombsights on some of the bombers. By default the site is active (and there is a command for turning it on/off, you need to bind it yourself I think). What you should 'see' is a notch going across the line dropping down from your crosshair that shows where your bomb should impact if released at that moment. Of course, this is not at all obvious with the Stuvi's default settings. It all becomes clear when you either go into a dive or drop the altitude setting to something really low while keeping the speed setting moderate-high. As far as setting the dive speed....not sure what to tell you...I think you just have to become a Stuka veteran and judge for yourself what speed setting you need. I know I'm certainly not one http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]

Thanks Baltar! I really do appreciate your explanation. I will go and check out the Stuvi in the QMB and try to see if I can spot the indicator you mentioned.

BTW, how do you tell what your bombsight adjustments are set at? What are the default settings for sight velocity, and altitude etc? What are the increment scales (i.e. how much does the site move in degrees per key tap?)

Is there a way to have bombsight adjustments show up on the hud as you make them? Right now, they do not...so I have no idea what my inputs are actually doing, or what they are currently set at etc.