PDA

View Full Version : Restoring from backup query

doc_364
07-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Our hard drive recently died. We have finally got a new one up and running. I have IL2 1946 on our back up drive, with all the missions and skins I downloaded. I can actually run it from there, but would like to transfer it on to the new hard drive.
I realise, however, that I just have it in a folder named 'IL 1946'. I thought that it was originally on our old hard drive contained in a folder called 'Ubi ...' something - like a copy of Forgotten Battles that is also on the backup.
Even if I can transfer and run it ok, am I storing up problems later on if it is not in the correctly named folder?

doc_364
07-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Our hard drive recently died. We have finally got a new one up and running. I have IL2 1946 on our back up drive, with all the missions and skins I downloaded. I can actually run it from there, but would like to transfer it on to the new hard drive.
I realise, however, that I just have it in a folder named 'IL 1946'. I thought that it was originally on our old hard drive contained in a folder called 'Ubi ...' something - like a copy of Forgotten Battles that is also on the backup.
Even if I can transfer and run it ok, am I storing up problems later on if it is not in the correctly named folder?

Stiletto-
07-13-2011, 04:38 PM
No, you should be a-ok. I don't think most people use the default ubi folder, that probably wanted to be put into the program files directory. It is actually advisable to not install games to the default program file directories.

I have mine installed in a folder called 'IL-2 Sturmovik 1946' on the root C drive. I have always hated how games want you to install under the publishers name folder and then the game inside that. Like everyone wants to categorize their game collection separated by publishing company? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyways, I am getting off subject, I too have copied my IL-2 folder namned as stated off my backup drive many of times after reformating or whatever. There are 0 problems with this and IL-2 will run fine without a clean install from disc, every time.

Sillius_Sodus
07-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello doc_364,

You can copy your 'IL2' folder to any location you like and it should work and if you are running Windows 7, the game should not be installed in the Program Files folder anyway.

doc_364
07-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks both for your replies. I'll transfer it over as it is.