PDA

View Full Version : Heinkel 111

Asgeir_Strips
04-10-2005, 04:56 AM
Did you know that the only original He-111 is in a museum in norway?

Last night, i watched a documentary of a German pilot who participated in the invasion of norway 9th april 1940. He flew a He-111 bomber... He's now 96 years old. He went to norway because some divers had plans to recover his plane (it had been landed on a lake during april, the lake was frozen so i could be used as an airstrip, but the weather changed, and the He-111 and a Ju-88 sank to the bottom of the water.) Thanks to the anaerob conditions in the lake, the He-111 and Ju-88 was perfect in shape. VERY little rust etc in the plane. Even the Squadron art, the luftwaffe "iron cross" were perfectly visible to this day... He also got to meet a norwegian fighter pilot who flew the Gloster Gladiator against him and the rest of the luftwaffe during the invasion. (needless to say, they made good friends with each other) he also visited a museum which contained a He-111 (as mentioned above) Very interesting when he got in the cockpit and explained how the crew operated the aircraft during combat..

A few day's later after the invasion, he and his crew was shot down over Narvik by a Hawker Hurricane fighter , probably based in Bardufoss.
He and his crew made a succsessful crash landing, and made it to a house where they received help and treatment from a girl and a doctor.. He later got to visit that girl who helped him and his crew after the shootdown.. Afterwards they were turned over to the Brits and sent to Canada.. He returned to germany in 1948 and reunited with his wife and two children..His name was Arthur von Casimir.. (Hauptmann) He was the commander of KG-100 (Kampfgruppe?) During the invasion until he was shot down.

fherathras
04-10-2005, 06:23 AM
man... I missed that show on NRK last night.

did they say anything about a rerun?

EnGaurde
04-10-2005, 07:13 AM
wow.

**** i lurve stories like that. I could read em all day.

at least some of the men flying under the svastika weren't murderous barstaards.

bravo.

Asgeir_Strips
04-10-2005, 09:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fherathras:
man... I missed that show on NRK last night.

did they say anything about a rerun? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

im not sure. maybe today?

Philipscdrw
04-10-2005, 06:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnGaurde:
wow.

**** i lurve stories like that. I could read em all day.

at least some of the men flying under the svastika weren't murderous barstaards.

bravo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were murdering basstards serving under every flag in WW2. The majority of the German military personnel were serving Germany, not Hitler or Nazism. Although that doesn't make inspiring propaganda posters...

MaxBruder
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I understand Franco's He111 is still flyable but has Merlin engines in it.

starbender
04-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Franco's CASA 111 was flyable until a few years ago when it crashed on takeoff killing two crew. AFAIK there were plans to make the backup CASA airframe flyable.

gates123
04-15-2005, 03:02 PM
From 1 to extinct. Hopefully sometime/somewhere they will bring one back to life. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/html/mshwma29.htm

Waldo.Pepper
04-15-2005, 04:59 PM
KG 100 was an elite unit. VERY proficient crews.

A path finder outfit. There is an excellent book about the unit, I think called the First Pathfinders. That is one book well worth you time.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can download the program soon.

MaxBruder
04-15-2005, 05:13 PM
I never did get to see it when I lived in Spain.