PDA

View Full Version : If you could ask a hero... Col. "Cyclone" Davis

VF-152_Orion
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
My good buddy is gonna get to interview Col. E. "Cyclone" Davis, and write a short piece about him. My friend feels way over his head to meet such a man and asked me if I could think of any questions to ask. The Col. has been written about before, so I think my friend wants to ask some more in depth/insightful questions than all the typical garden variety ones. (# of kills, etc.)

Some of the ones I would ask (these may also be too typical) are:

1. What were the squadrons attitudes towards capture? (I would NOT have been caught by the Japanese personally)

2. What did you think your chances of landing were at Pearl Harbor?

3. Did you experience much friendly fire at Pearl Harbor? (Some SBDs were shot down by U.S. gunners)

Here is a short bio of Col. Davis

Davis flew 267 combat missions in World War II and five more during the Korean War.
He is officially credited with shooting down three enemy aircraft.

During the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Davis taxied three fighter planes to safety while being continually strafed by enemy fighters. He then personally armed a P-40 Warhawk fighter and took off in an attempt to engage marauding Japanese Zero planes. As a squadron commander in New Guinea in 1943, Davis shot down six Japanese fighters in one single mission, with only two officially credited to him due to faulty gun camera film. He was promoted to the rank of colonel and commanding officer of famed 8th Fighter Group in 1945. Davis led an entire fighter group of 72 P-38 Lightnings on a final mission of World War II, hitting the Japanese mainland with a massive napalm strike. He flew five fighter/bomber missions in an F-84 during the Korean War. As a civilian, he became a project director for Hughes Aircraft and was key figure in developing €œsmart€ bomb technology.

Also: http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/8pursuit.htm

So, What would you ask, if given the opportunity??

VF-152_Orion
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
My good buddy is gonna get to interview Col. E. "Cyclone" Davis, and write a short piece about him. My friend feels way over his head to meet such a man and asked me if I could think of any questions to ask. The Col. has been written about before, so I think my friend wants to ask some more in depth/insightful questions than all the typical garden variety ones. (# of kills, etc.)

Some of the ones I would ask (these may also be too typical) are:

1. What were the squadrons attitudes towards capture? (I would NOT have been caught by the Japanese personally)

2. What did you think your chances of landing were at Pearl Harbor?

3. Did you experience much friendly fire at Pearl Harbor? (Some SBDs were shot down by U.S. gunners)

Here is a short bio of Col. Davis

Davis flew 267 combat missions in World War II and five more during the Korean War.
He is officially credited with shooting down three enemy aircraft.

During the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Davis taxied three fighter planes to safety while being continually strafed by enemy fighters. He then personally armed a P-40 Warhawk fighter and took off in an attempt to engage marauding Japanese Zero planes. As a squadron commander in New Guinea in 1943, Davis shot down six Japanese fighters in one single mission, with only two officially credited to him due to faulty gun camera film. He was promoted to the rank of colonel and commanding officer of famed 8th Fighter Group in 1945. Davis led an entire fighter group of 72 P-38 Lightnings on a final mission of World War II, hitting the Japanese mainland with a massive napalm strike. He flew five fighter/bomber missions in an F-84 during the Korean War. As a civilian, he became a project director for Hughes Aircraft and was key figure in developing €œsmart€ bomb technology.

Also: http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/8pursuit.htm

So, What would you ask, if given the opportunity??

VF-152_Orion
09-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Alright, one last try...

Can any of you think of a few questions??

Taylortony
09-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Quote "72 P-38 Lightnings"

what was it like to lead such a large formation into combat and what did it look like to see all of these planes in formation?

How did you feel when hostilities ceased and did you find readjusting to post war service hard?

how did you find moving from piston fighters onto modern Jets?

As a project director, and from a seasoned veteran what do you think in the history of aviation during your career has most contributed to either safety... fire power... or technological advances

what was your most memorable moment thoughout your career?

was there ever a "this is what it is all about" moment during your flying career, and if there was what was it?

was there ever a "I dont want to be here Moment"? and what was it?

Is there anything you feel that you would liked to have flown/ achieved during your career, that you never did?

what was your all time favourite aircraft?

was there an "I wish I had done that", "if only I had done that different" moment in your career?

what was your scariest/frightening moment in your flying career?

how did you find your first solo? and was it easily achieved/ what were your instructors comments on your flying, were you recognised early on as a future ace?

how do you feel as to been considered as an Ace amongst pilots?

how did your nickname come about?

VF-152_Orion
09-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Man, thanks!

I think my friend (I would be too) are dumbfounded by the opportunity. All very good points. Thanks again

Enforcer572005
09-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Iwould ask him about some details concerning the new Gne incident...like what kind of AC wwere involved, and his opinion aobut the japanese army pilots and planes he wnt up against vs the navy pilots and aircraft, in particular the tony and oscar.

what type of tactics did the japanese employ.

also, did htey really hvae that much trouble distinguishing between oscars and zekes.

what were the usual altitudes they engaged the enemy, and what kind of missns were the most prevelant.

what type of bombers did they usually encounter in that theatre in the time he was there, and thier effectiveness and weaknesses.

how effective was japanese AA fire, and what was the usual type.....75,25,mg fire?

did army pilots ever fly much anti shipping misns.

Did he fly assorted types of P38, and how did the older marks compare or improve over the early ones, if that question applys.

just some things ive wondered about......

huggy87
09-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Was the P-38 as cold as claimed?

How were the japanese pilots you faced?

Any correlations or words of wisdom regarding pearl harbor and 9/11?

Did you ever get to play with any american naval aircraft?

VF-152_Orion
09-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Awesome suggestions, thanks!

Another one I thought of was to ask what it was like to go from WW2, to a more politicized Korean War, to an even more politicized Vietnam, and Now this war in Iraq.

I served from 99-04, and you cant call the enemy names anymore, let alone kill them! There is just a complex sociological reason for everything. Hitler wasnt hugged enough... I would imagine that this attitude really angers/saddens a WW2 combat vet. Okay, off the soapbox now, sorry

Orion