PDA

View Full Version : Tonight on the History Channel-Am i missing something???

RCAF_Irish_403
07-15-2006, 03:01 PM
8Pm Tonight....Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

RCAF_Irish_403
07-15-2006, 03:01 PM
8Pm Tonight....Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

berg417448
07-15-2006, 04:04 PM
raaaid is in charge of the programming.

RCAF_Irish_403
07-15-2006, 06:37 PM
watching it right now...my impressions

1. Lotsa leather and homoerotic S&M
2. Does John Ford and Sergio Leone know they are being ripped off?
3. I'm not sure what type of history lesson i'm learning, but the cars and violence are cool

vocatx
07-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Considering the programming they've run lately, this isn't at out of place. The History Channel has really been disappointing recently.

UberDemon
07-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Soon to be followed by their new "reality" series, "The Real History"

R_Target
07-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Every once in a while they squeeze in some history between the Templars, masons, Atlantis, pyramids, bible code, and UFO's. It's getting rarer though.

CzechTexan
07-16-2006, 01:25 AM
It looks more like the Sci Fi channel nowdays.

GTO_68
07-16-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm kinda suprised no one here gets this. Has any one even noticed that this movie deals with gasoline shortages in a post apocalpytic world? Or the referance to the seven major oil companies of the time that were alledged to be controlling fuel prices? They did follow it up with something about the doomsday clock also. Oh, and by the way, before any one starts, this is not the kind of movie I would expect to see on a history channel, regardless of what they think they are trying to do.

jensenpark
07-16-2006, 10:11 AM
I though Mad Max took place in the future...

if so, how could it be history?

georgeo76
07-16-2006, 11:58 AM
What's the matter? Did they run out of ghost stories and UFO programing?

RCAF_Irish_403
07-16-2006, 05:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GTO_68:
I'm kinda suprised no one here gets this. Has any one even noticed that this movie deals with gasoline shortages in a post apocalpytic world? Or the referance to the seven major oil companies of the time that were alledged to be controlling fuel prices? They did follow it up with something about the doomsday clock also. Oh, and by the way, before any one starts, this is not the kind of movie I would expect to see on a history channel, regardless of what they think they are trying to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It made a little sense after they followed up the movie with the Doomsday Clock special....and considering recent events, i suppose a Sci Fi flick about the collapse of industrialized society is a bit relevent

vocatx
07-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Does no one get this??? IT'S THE HISTORY CHANNEL!!!! <span class="ev_code_RED">HISTORY!!!</span>

UberDemon
07-16-2006, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jensenpark:
I though Mad Max took place in the future...

if so, how could it be history? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The future is here!

leitmotiv
07-16-2006, 06:39 PM
The History Channel (owned by CBS) has become pathetic. It used to be a huge resource for fast food documentaries on war, then it became the pop culture nexus, then crime nexus, now, as Churchill once said, "This pudding lacks a theme." Sad, really. The History International channel, the spin-off of THC, has now become the only dedicated history channel on American TV. Actually, MAD MAX isn't its low, as far as I am concerned---I thought the week of bunk they ran to exploit interest in the ridiculous DA VINCI CODE film was the bullet in the brain to their credability. In the past they delighted in running one hour analyses of such stuff just to completely deflate the films, but with DA VINCI they actively supported the film and became part of the marketing. Too bad.

Prop_Strike
07-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Mad Max is a great piece of Australian MOVIE history. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

"Last of the V8 interceptors.....woulda been a shame to blow it up..."

"Ya quick....very quick...never seen a man beat the snake before. Reflexes...that's what ya got!...Me, I got brains.."

Mad Max is great....too bad they screwed it up with the third movie... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Stackhouse25th
07-16-2006, 07:45 PM
yeah ive watched less and less history channel over the years. downhill im guessing

leitmotiv
07-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm happier with The Military Channel which shows top grade docs (their recent one on the Somme was fantastic) and History International which shows the best stuff from the old History Channel. I, too, don't think The History Channel is long for this world.

huggy87
07-16-2006, 08:13 PM
I got burned out on the history channel international and the military channel. While meatier than the vanilla history channel, they had a lot of repetition. After two years I felt like I had literally seen every show they had to offer and cancelled my expanded cable. Now I'm experimenting with this little thing called "going outside".

vocatx
07-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Even History International and the Military Channel are falling flat lately. There have been glaring inaccuracies in some of the information they have presented, especially on aircraft. I'll agree that they're better than the History Channel, but the differences are decreasing.

When I got my sattelite system, I paid extra to get these channels. If things don't change I'll be dropping them soon.

leitmotiv
07-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Most of the time I whang them on while eating a sandwich---true, they repeat endlessly. The English WWI series The Military Channel ran recently was the best history/military doc I'd seen in ages.

RCAF_Irish_403
07-17-2006, 07:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
The History Channel (owned by CBS) has become pathetic. It used to be a huge resource for fast food documentaries on war, then it became the pop culture nexus, then crime nexus, now, as Churchill once said, "This pudding lacks a theme." Sad, really. The History International channel, the spin-off of THC, has now become the only dedicated history channel on American TV. Actually, MAD MAX isn't its low, as far as I am concerned---I thought the week of bunk they ran to exploit interest in the ridiculous DA VINCI CODE film was the bullet in the brain to their credability. In the past they delighted in running one hour analyses of such stuff just to completely deflate the films, but with DA VINCI they actively supported the film and became part of the marketing. Too bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto....Da Vinci all week was just pathetic

Capt._Tenneal
07-17-2006, 07:56 AM
When it began, History Channel was mockingly nicknamed "Hitler Channel" but to me now it should be renamed "Hollywood Channel" because all it is are tie-in programs to whatever new historical movie Hollywood is churning out at the moment.

After constant Da Vinci, Templar, Secrets of the Bible shows the past few months, they start showing "True Caribbean Pirates" (or something) just as a certain pirate movie is opening in the theaters. IMO, their spinoff network History Channel International has more interesting shows now, and keeps with the theme of History.

triad773
07-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Yes and seems like they have a premier (the History Channel,) that is decent they show it ONCE and then try selling it on DVD before they air it again. I agree with most here; they've gone downhill for sure. I thought I remembered the Discovery Channel was called 'The Hitler Channel before they spun off the Wings and History Channel.

To be fair, CBS does have a decent record (albeit in the past; like 1950's and 1960's) of some decent history programming, but then the host was Walter Cronkite. With the surge of true, Corporate Media (i.e., this is your choice, like it or lump it,) we have decided to dump our satellite too. Think the best it has to offer is shows like The Daily Show, but then we can get the best of that over streaming from ComedyCentral.com.

~S~